Decarb Failed - Can I salvage anything from butter?

• Thread starter Misanthrope
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

I just finished making a batch of cannabuttter. While it was "cooking" I realized the oven was broken and never got up to 230°F.
Is there anything I can do to salvage the butter?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
L O L! Sounds like my quack! The nurses will tell you there has been an increase in people eating too much and flipping out! Enough, so that has become a problem! So you can get hammered eating it! I get a lot more loaded eating it! You have to follow the same rules! You have to grow something worth smoking, and you have to make something worth eating!

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

I just finished making a batch of cannabuttter. While it was "cooking" I realized the oven was broken and never got up to 230°F.

Won’t it decarb if you use it to make brownies at 350° for 35 minutes?

as Old chucky said if you not finished the decarb you can always finish it.

here's a chart that may help:

Bbs decarb chart

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I never got why people eat it I have tried didn't do shit to me like smoking it
I quit smoking it after I tried vaping. My lungs feel so much better.

We don't use it for edibles. Instead, we make tinctures. It's amazing how high I can get from a tincture and how long it can last. I was getting too stoned for comfort sometimes. So, we started testing each new batch. The first thing we do is take a half milligram dose and rate it for strength. That way, I don't get too high.

PianoStan

PianoStan

You must have eaten some edibles made by people that had no idea what they were doing.
ALL weed needs to be de-carbed before it becomes psychoactive. The question is whether you de-carb it slowly in an oven of specialized machine at around 250 degrees, or whether you use the 1300 degree flame of your lighter to do it.

If you use your lighter, the accepted scientific standard is that joints/blunts lose 50% of the THC to destruction from the heat. While bowls/bongs lose 60% to heat. Then, depending on how big of a hit you take, how long you hold it, and how efficient your lungs actually are, another 40-60% of the THC you inhale is sent back into the atmosphere when you exhale. Of the THC that actually hits your blood stream, daily users can get 22-27% of that to be psychoactively available. While first time and casual users can get between 25-33%. What all of that complex math equates to is that for every 100mg THC that you set on fire, somewhere between 2.8-9mg actually ends up affecting your brain. (With casuals getting up to nearly 15mg)

Much like smoking crack, the onset of consuming THC through smoking is nearly instantaneous, with a mean time of metabolization being 4.5 hours. Whereas consuming THC through edibles is more akin to taking LSD with a 45minute to 1 hour onset, and a metaboliztion time of more than 8 hours.

On the other hand, for properly prepared edibles, there is no loss of THC to the heat or to the atmosphere. And while everyone is a unique biological entity, making exact dosages difficult to monitor, the absorption rate is at least 80%. Ultimately that means that edibles can deliver 17.6-21.6 mg per 100mg consumed for daily users, and casuals getting between 20-26.4 mg.

That's why edibles are driving up the number of hospital visits. People consume entire bags of edibles when they have no actual understanding of just how much more potent edible THC is. Many of those bags of edibles contain enough THC to get 8-10 people baked for an entire night out, but people eat them like they are potato chips.

I find that most long time stoners don't want to wait the time it takes for an edible to kick in, so they smoke while they wait. Which, of course, means that they are already high by the time the edible kicks in, and fail to notice it happening. Then, they get tired over the 4.5 or so hours it takes to metabolize the smoked THC, and sleep through most of the edible THC's life cycle.

Personally, I make tinctures. They are a happy medium. It takes 25-30 minutes before one can feel a sort of wave crashing over the brain, and it sticks with you for about 5-7 hours. It's completely possible to wake up exactly as stoned as I was when I fell asleep. And an ounce of weed made into a tincture can last a month or more. Where I was smoking a quarter pound per week when I consumed weed that way exclusively. Much, much more economical.

Not to mention that tinctures (alcohol based, because cannabutter, canna oil, and dab wax are ALSO types of tinctures) can be aged like wine, and kept forever, as long as you store them in amber glass, and keep them refrigerated. They get more potent over time.

And even though I am brand new to growing, I have been a stoner since 1982. And I have been an RN since 1994. No stranger to either THC, or the science behind it!

PianoStan

PianoStan

How hot did the oven get? I've never had that happen to me before, but if your THC didn't get hot enough to decarb, but dried out, you could try to decarb it again. The THC is still there, just the water content has been lost. If the oven was completely broken, and the weed is still moist, then I would just decarb it all over again.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Lol try eating a oz of hash you’ll feel it.
I got nicked and i had put in my shoe under my sock.. I know ewww smelly

Still crapping it that it would get found I eat 3/4 of it and couldn’t eat no more

When I got out I nearly fell in the canal I was walking sideways 😂

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
You must have eaten some edibles made by people that had no idea what they were doing.
ALL weed needs to be de-carbed before it becomes psychoactive. The question is whether you de-carb it slowly in an oven of specialized machine at around 250 degrees, or whether you use the 1300 degree flame of your lighter to do it.

If you use your lighter, the accepted scientific standard is that joints/blunts lose 50% of the THC to destruction from the heat. While bowls/bongs lose 60% to heat. Then, depending on how big of a hit you take, how long you hold it, and how efficient your lungs actually are, another 40-60% of the THC you inhale is sent back into the atmosphere when you exhale. Of the THC that actually hits your blood stream, daily users can get 22-27% of that to be psychoactively available. While first time and casual users can get between 25-33%. What all of that complex math equates to is that for every 100mg THC that you set on fire, somewhere between 2.8-9mg actually ends up affecting your brain. (With casuals getting up to nearly 15mg)

Much like smoking crack, the onset of consuming THC through smoking is nearly instantaneous, with a mean time of metabolization being 4.5 hours. Whereas consuming THC through edibles is more akin to taking LSD with a 45minute to 1 hour onset, and a metaboliztion time of more than 8 hours.

On the other hand, for properly prepared edibles, there is no loss of THC to the heat or to the atmosphere. And while everyone is a unique biological entity, making exact dosages difficult to monitor, the absorption rate is at least 80%. Ultimately that means that edibles can deliver 17.6-21.6 mg per 100mg consumed for daily users, and casuals getting between 20-26.4 mg.

That's why edibles are driving up the number of hospital visits. People consume entire bags of edibles when they have no actual understanding of just how much more potent edible THC is. Many of those bags of edibles contain enough THC to get 8-10 people baked for an entire night out, but people eat them like they are potato chips.

I find that most long time stoners don't want to wait the time it takes for an edible to kick in, so they smoke while they wait. Which, of course, means that they are already high by the time the edible kicks in, and fail to notice it happening. Then, they get tired over the 4.5 or so hours it takes to metabolize the smoked THC, and sleep through most of the edible THC's life cycle.

Personally, I make tinctures. They are a happy medium. It takes 25-30 minutes before one can feel a sort of wave crashing over the brain, and it sticks with you for about 5-7 hours. It's completely possible to wake up exactly as stoned as I was when I fell asleep. And an ounce of weed made into a tincture can last a month or more. Where I was smoking a quarter pound per week when I consumed weed that way exclusively. Much, much more economical.

Not to mention that tinctures (alcohol based, because cannabutter, canna oil, and dab wax are ALSO types of tinctures) can be aged like wine, and kept forever, as long as you store them in amber glass, and keep them refrigerated. They get more potent over time.

And even though I am brand new to growing, I have been a stoner since 1982. And I have been an RN since 1994. No stranger to either THC, or the science behind it!
Being an old 55 year smoker, my lungs are too wasted to smoke it anymore! But edibles do the trick! So I like the sound of this post!😂 But still smoke cigarettes with hash in them! Won’t quit smoking till my ashes cool!

PianoStan

PianoStan

Being an old 55 year smoker, my lungs are too wasted to smoke it anymore! But edibles do the trick! So I like the sound of this post!😂 But still smoke cigarettes with hash in them! Won’t quit smoking till my ashes cool!
Back around 1995 I smoked a pack of cigarettes a week, but an ounce of brick weed per day. And I started coughing up blood. Si I figured that I needed to quit smoking. And that's how I quit cigarettes! 🤣

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Back around 1995 I smoked a pack of cigarettes a week, but an ounce of brick weed per day. And I started coughing up blood. Si I figured that I needed to quit smoking. And that's how I quit cigarettes! 🤣
It was probably the mould in the brick weed that messed up your lungs however good to hear you quit

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Anyways add it to some cakes and bake them outa work

PianoStan

PianoStan

It was probably the mould in the brick weed that messed up your lungs however good to hear you quit
It's sad to think about the crap quality of the weed largely available just 30 years ago. Dried out, moldy, 40% seeds. But like $60 an ounce. Quality bud was $80+ per eighth. Sacrificing the lungs seemed a reasonable option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom