DECARBOXYLATION - Flower or Extract

• Thread starter cronicoldguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cronicoldguy

Can there be a Sticky made by someone with the expertise on how to properly decarb flower or oil to be done by someone with less expertise?

How to definitively decarb bud/trim properly with different simple methods.

How to definitively decarb extract (oil) with different simple methods.

The reason I ask is because I find all kinds of conflicting methods, including a costly one. The costly one being the Ardent Nova. Figured I would bite the bullet and quit guessing. Bought An Ardent Nova. Waste of good bud and money.

Personally, I think the Ardent Nova is a total unreliable POS. Will not use it again. Put 1oz premium bud in it. After cycle done, I blended 3g of the decarbed bud into a yogurt smoothie. Absolutely no effect. This shit would rip your head of with one doobie if smoked. I suspect the Nova gets too hot. The weed looked (turned brownish) and smelled decarbed, but was impotent. There was actually condensation on the silicone lid when finished.

Or may I have a tolerance to edibles? Bottom line is I never used it again and now sits collecting dust. Is it bunk, or could I have a high tolerance? I bought it from GrowDaddy. Bought a few other things there as well. I reviewed the Source Turbo there, but they deleted my review for the Ardent Nova because my review wasnt favorable.

Anyways, I resorted back to the oven for bud. Wondering mostly about processed oil. I have a heated magnetic stirrer, but dont make batches big enough to utilize it.

Just a simple method for doing either, bud or oil. Seems manually is the only way to anything extraction wise.

Something the average person could follow without fucking up.

C

cronicoldguy

I tried to edit the first post but wont let me. Wanted to add this to the above:

Is it better to decarb the flower prior to extraction? Or is it better to decarb the finished oil?

And why would I choose one or the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method?

Sorry for all the questions but I found forums are one of the best ways to learn something.

Ponky

Ponky

Extract first. Then decarb it if the process doesn't already do so.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
So here is what I do:

I grind up the flower (One ounce per cup of oil) and trim and put it on a baking sheet lined with foil. I then preheat the oven to 240°F. Once preheated I put the baking sheet in the oven for 40 minutes.

While the herb is decarboxylating, I get some coconut oil ready (my preferred oil source). I typically do 2 cups at a time and I mix 6tsp of Soy Lecithin per cup of oil.

After the 40 minutes is up I pull the baking sheet out and let it cool.

While the sheet is cooling I setup a crockpot filled with water and I put a stainless steel bowl into the water making sure the oil level is sitting in the water and not above it. I start heating it on high.

I then mix the herb into the oil gently and cover the top with the crock pot lid. This leaves an opening large enough for water to evaporate and not mix in with the oil. I then let it sit on medium heat for 5-6 hours.

Once done, I presoak some cheese cloth in coconut oil and start to strain the oil/herb mix into a colander over another large bowl. I make sure I only dump enough herb mix to be able to twist it up super tight to get as much oil out as I can. I repeat this until there is nothing left but the damp herb on the side and the clean oil in the bowl.

I throw out the old herb, some may choose to cook with it but I don't. I put the oil into a sealable container and put it in the fridge until it's ready to be used.

It's a pretty simple process that works incredibly well for me.

IMG 20220712 200655

Then I mostly just make gummies with it for the wife as shown above. Goes really good straight up in coffee too if you like a little wake and bake.

If you need further clarification on any of those steps just let me know ✌️.

Last edited:
C

crm114

I tried to edit the first post but wont let me. Wanted to add this to the above:

Is it better to decarb the flower prior to extraction? Or is it better to decarb the finished oil?

And why would I choose one or the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each method?

Sorry for all the questions but I found forums are one of the best ways to learn something.
I always decarb the flower. If you had 10 grams of oil and 10 grams of flower, which would hurt more if you lost it all to a bad process? I say losing the oil would definitely hurt more. My experience is that due to handling alone its easier to deal with flower. I've done a lot of experimentation on a semi-micro scale = I do not process qty greater than an oz at a time, mostly quarter-oz batches.
My goal is a ETOH tincture with ETOH for both extraction and dilution. Started out with just extraction then added evap and dilution steps to ensure a predictable (somewhat) dose.
My carboxylation process is as simple as it gets. Cut product into pea-sized pieces, spread level on cooking sheet, convection oven at 260F for 60 minutes. You can find an infinite number of times/temps claiming to be the only true way, after experimenting I settled on the 260/60 method as it worked best for my purposes.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

One benefit to decarbing the concentrate is that if you are doing it on the cheap without lab equipment, you can visually see the process in terms of the bubbles coming out of the mixture. Bubbles stop - decarb done.

Also decarbing is not one thing. THCa --> THC takes less energy than CBDa --> CBD. So tuning the decarb to your desired result is important.

If you are willing to invest some time and money, you could do a lot worse than TLC testing at home. Thin Layer Chromatography. With this, you can determine exactly what is in the plant, and tune your decarb time to get the results you are going for. Wanna hold on to CBG? Its different than THC.

I

IamN2pot

OP, you said that the flower you tried to decarb in the Nova didn't get you high and wondered if your tollerance was to high? I wondered the same for years and have finally come to the conclusion that I'm completly oral THC tolerant. Taking THC orally does nothing for me. I'll take it you can get off on flower you've decarbed in the oven? LOL, I wish I could.
I hope you find a solution.
N2

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

I am too lazy to type out my process but I extract with ethanol then I take that oil and put it on a silicone matte. Put in a preheated oven at 240º and it takes about 20 minutes. Basically(As Moe said) when the bubbles stop, the de-carbing is done.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

OP, you said that the flower you tried to decarb in the Nova didn't get you high and wondered if your tollerance was to high? I wondered the same for years and have finally come to the conclusion that I'm completly oral THC tolerant. Taking THC orally does nothing for me. I'll take it you can get off on flower you've decarbed in the oven? LOL, I wish I could.
N2

An enzyme called cytochrome P2C9 (CYP2C9) in the liver and GI tract is responsible for breaking down Delta-9 THC. This enzyme is used as part of the first steps of your body’s metabolizing process. It also breaks down other drugs and hormones. The amount of time it takes to break down THC metabolites is totally dependent on the performance of CYP2C9, and it appears that an individual’s CYP2C9 performance is based on which version of a specific gene they carry.

For some unlucky individuals of a certain genetic subtype, their GI tract produces an enzyme that breaks down THC faster than in others, totally preventing them from feeling the effects of edibles.

C

cronicoldguy

N2
No. No effect from decarbing in oven either. The reason I went back to the oven is that I can monitor/control temperature. Although I cant confirm, that gives me a bit more confidence that decaboxylation was successful. Cant do that with the Ardent. It is all automated.

I have only got high once from edibles. It wasnt good. Total greenout. I got a silver dollar sized 800mg gummy from a dispensary. I cut it into 4 equal pieces. Tried one piece - no effect after over an hour. The following day I ate the remaining 3 pieces. GREENOUT!

That was the only time I ever felt an effect from edibles. It didnt discourage me though.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I got a silver dollar sized 800mg gummy from a dispensary. I cut it into 4 equal pieces. Tried one piece - no effect after over an hour. The following day I ate the remaining 3 pieces. GREENOUT!
Sounds like your mouth overwhelmed your liver's ability to produce CYP2C9.

This person to person variability is exactly why we customize doses and color code the capsules when we make them.

I

IamN2pot

An enzyme called cytochrome P2C9 (CYP2C9) in the liver and GI tract is responsible for breaking down Delta-9 THC. This enzyme is used as part of the first steps of your body’s metabolizing process. It also breaks down other drugs and hormones. The amount of time it takes to break down THC metabolites is totally dependent on the performance of CYP2C9, and it appears that an individual’s CYP2C9 performance is based on which version of a specific gene they carry.

For some unlucky individuals of a certain genetic subtype, their GI tract produces an enzyme that breaks down THC faster than in others, totally preventing them from feeling the effects of edibles.
Yeah Moe, Thanks for the artical. I've read that artical and a dozen more on the subject. They all offer a reason, although some say it's a super fast metabolism while others suggest it's a super slow one, but none of them have offered any remidy/solution to the problem. I've done full gram doses of CO2 extracted (decarbed) oil that was over 87% THC + 5% CBD. Nothing, not even so much as some extra cotton mouth, NOTHING!
So don't feel bad, CronicOldGuy. If you want to know if you're decarbing properly, time to call in a friendy volenteer to test it on. ...LOL, just not one like me (or you) who can't get any intoxicating effects from eddies!
Hope that helps, N2

IMG 20220718 150028
Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Can there be a Sticky made by someone with the expertise on how to properly decarb flower or oil to be done by someone with less expertise?

How to definitively decarb bud/trim properly with different simple methods.

How to definitively decarb extract (oil) with different simple methods.

The reason I ask is because I find all kinds of conflicting methods, including a costly one. The costly one being the Ardent Nova. Figured I would bite the bullet and quit guessing. Bought An Ardent Nova. Waste of good bud and money.

Personally, I think the Ardent Nova is a total unreliable POS. Will not use it again. Put 1oz premium bud in it. After cycle done, I blended 3g of the decarbed bud into a yogurt smoothie. Absolutely no effect. This shit would rip your head of with one doobie if smoked. I suspect the Nova gets too hot. The weed looked (turned brownish) and smelled decarbed, but was impotent. There was actually condensation on the silicone lid when finished.

Or may I have a tolerance to edibles? Bottom line is I never used it again and now sits collecting dust. Is it bunk, or could I have a high tolerance? I bought it from GrowDaddy. Bought a few other things there as well. I reviewed the Source Turbo there, but they deleted my review for the Ardent Nova because my review wasnt favorable.

Anyways, I resorted back to the oven for bud. Wondering mostly about processed oil. I have a heated magnetic stirrer, but dont make batches big enough to utilize it.

Just a simple method for doing either, bud or oil. Seems manually is the only way to anything extraction wise.

Something the average person could follow without fucking up.
I don't know if I can upload a pdf but here's a good one if it will work.

Edit - removed copyrighted material

Last edited by a moderator:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I don't know if I can upload a pdf but here's a good one if it will work.
Great book, I have a copy, but a little dated.

Not sure how the boss feels about posting copyrighted materials like that - so get your downloads now - I'll probably have to delete @Buzzzz 's post and this one before the web crawlers find it and get pissy.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Great book, I have a copy, but a little dated.

Not sure how the boss feels about posting copyrighted materials like that - so get your downloads now - I'll probably have to delete @Buzzzz 's post and this one before the web crawlers find it and get pissy.
Sorry about that ,I didn't consider that. I can delete it if you want or you can,let me know.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Sorry about that ,I didn't consider that. I can delete it if you want or you can,let me know.
All good man, let's let the folks asking get a copy before we blast it. It is a good book and nice of you to post, but Mr. Starks wants his piece of the action I'm sure. Understandable.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

All good man, let's let the folks asking get a copy before we blast it. It is a good book and nice of you to post, but Mr. Starks wants his piece of the action I'm sure. Understandable.
Between that and Gold's book,Marijuana chemistry, one can see where Clarke took a lot of Marijuana botany from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom