Decrease in Aroma & Flavor with Increase in Curing Time, What Gives?

• Thread starter Redskywalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CheebaMonkey

I have the same problem. Sniffing the entire jar gives me that lovely aroma nose tickle but if I smell a bud outstide of the jar it's really weak. IMO nothing beats fresh bud.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I am with you CheebaMonkey, as much as others will disagree with me almost every strain I have smoked has been better fresh, imo. but I have a one strain, the cotton candy, that does get better around one month of curing......the flavor comes out as well as the smell, but with diesel or purps I want to smoke it the minute the stem cracks.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Weird!!! Those are the two exact strains I'm talkn about yo! That's freaky

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
I have a purps mama and my prized male is an inbreed line Sour Diesel lol. I find that my crosses imake with the male start out stinky like a dead skunk floating in a pool of rotten petrol but if I dnt store in da freezer after 10-14 days of curing that smell fades away. Same ting with my Purps, starts out smelln like mega amounts ofsmashed berries and candy. But if I do put them in da fezzer at the right time it will preserve the good smell.

C

cheef

i was just wondering what was the freezer for did you put jars in the freezer did it help wit the curing.sorry for the newbie question

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh no I don't use the freezer until I'm done curing! The freezer stops the bud from going past it's peak. Never put weed in the freezer unless bone dry and not until youre ready for storing it longer term. Light, warmth, and moisture three things ya love while the plants are growing are the last three things ya want when storing weed for more than a month. Once the weed is at the perfect cure for your tastes then it's time ta preserve it. And sealed tight in da freezer is perfect.

C

cheef

amazing.......thanks alot redskywalker the way it needs them three things then needs the opposite thats what really made me step into this world just off of how amazing is this wonderful plant .....that was vital info i wouldnt of found in no book whats the best strain you had so far its a shame all we got is trash out here in ny....ill be alright soon ....thanx a ton

purpleberry

purpleberry

This happened to my GDP i just did, it taste better 10 days after i chopped. Now the flavor has got weaker a month later. My budy said i need to cure for months. I think certin strains are better fresh, harsher strains are probally better with the long cure.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Cheef thanx bro. As far as best strains go depends on your tastes dude. I love mostly sativa dominant highs for the most part. But it's not just about the buzz with me. It has to have an incredable aroma and flavor. I've not kpt plants b4 bcuz they wer lacking in those departments even though the buzz was good. For when Im workn I like a nice clear up high but not to visual so like some kind of Haze. But if I'm going out to a show or bar or concert I like sativas that are up but also visual almost psycadelic lol like Morning Daze or Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze. When at home chilln watchn a movie or something like that the go with something with indica in it like Chemdog D or OG Kush or Bubba Kush. If I want something for pain or sleep it's Deep Chunk or Herjuana. THCBay has practicly every strain you could ever want bro. Again dpnds on your needs/tastes. Peace
RED

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
This happened to my GDP i just did, it taste better 10 days after i chopped. Now the flavor has got weaker a month later. My budy said i need to cure for months. I think certin strains are better fresh, harsher strains are probally better with the long cure.

Hey I hear ya thr dude. What I've decided to start doing is as soon as I get the taste/aroma I want wen curing then I pop my jars in the freezer which will keep the nugs perfect. As long as the buds are bone dry. Store weed in the freezer with more than 15% moisture and the flavor/aroma molecules most likely will be damaged. Aswell you shouldn't keep taking your herb in and out of the freezer it will damage it aswell. Store in smaller containers so ya just need to bring a small amount out of storage at a time. Peace

Z

zoeronerer

you kids are putting it away 2 wet.................. what you guys are saying can be true of weaker varietys smell wise.... but if done correctly its always more complex. all strains require attention to detail ... everyone works with a million cuts or seed varietys and expects even harvest to be the same ..... its not.... just experiment with your favorite variety and try your best to learn what it needs at every point in its life until smoked....

the dank is in the details ..........

D

Dubwobble

Your curing method is missing a step.

After the buds feel kinda dry and the outer leaves are brittle, take it down off the hanging line and trim up your buds.

After trimming, you said you put the buds in a jar and "burp" them a coujple times a day.

Well - right there is where you missed a step.

After you trim the buds you need to lay them out again, preferably on a drying screen. Or you can put them in a brown paper bag.

If you don't do this then you are putting wet weed into a jar to ferment in its own escaping chlorophil, resulting in the turpenes degrading and having a more "hay-like" smell.

Check them every couple hours at first depending on how dry it is in your room, and turn them over on the screen (or in the bag) every so often.

Within a day or two of the second drying, the buds will feel completely dry... but they aren't still. Internally (stems, inner buds) they still have a tiny bit of moisture (and gasses), so this is when you put them in jars or sealed bags. What you want is for the tiny bit of internal moisture to come out and mingle with the drier pieces, making a perfect cure. Open a couple times a day to release any extra escaping gasses, and within a couple weeks to a month the buds should be slighty spongy & sticky and a HELLA STANKY DANKY smell should be fuming up your room like a skunk's butt!

marski420

marski420

I think people are drying too fast and drying too much. I think if you leave you're buds with a tiny bit of moisture, burping you're jars once or twice a day and gradually stopping when they get near bone dry is the best.. Its what worked for me and a couple friends of mine, cause theres no way bubba or any other good strain should have a weak smell and taste after curing.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Hang dry, aim for about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, trim, place into jars than burp. No need to lay out or anything, just make sure its nice and dry and that it took about two weeks doing so.

My buddy gave me a nug once that he had saved up for about three years, It had lost most of its smell, but it was sure smooth! and tasty!

My strains never lose smell throughout the whole process, because Ive ditched the ones that dont have extremely pungent aromas!

Nuggzz001
Top Bottom