Deep or Wide?

• Thread starter Big V
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Big V

Big V

I wanted to ask for some input on container shapes for soil growing. I normally grow in 5 galon buckets or 3.8 galon pots but I wanted to do some low stress training so I was thinking of going with a container that was more oblong than round. I found some 4 galon containers at a local department store that are 12" wide x 19" long x 6" wide... Thats 30cm x 48cm x 15cm for you metric guys.

My question is concerning wether or not the roots would thrive in a shallow container or is the deep container better or Does it really even matter?

I would appreciate your input.

Whippleschnitz

Whippleschnitz

Generally the plant wants to put deep roots out. But I've seen a number of grows done in wide shallow containers. IIRC ProGrowWannabe has a thread here where he did a LST grow with a number of sativas in one wide shallow container under T5s. It was quite impressive what you can do with good gardening knowledge and some ingenuity. Maybe PGW remembers what the thread was called or could provide a link.

D

draksensi

I wanted to ask for some input on container shapes for soil growing. I normally grow in 5 galon buckets or 3.8 galon pots but I wanted to do some low stress training so I was thinking of going with a container that was more oblong than round. I found some 4 galon containers at a local department store that are 12" wide x 19" long x 6" wide... Thats 30cm x 48cm x 15cm for you metric guys.

My question is concerning wether or not the roots would thrive in a shallow container or is the deep container better or Does it really even matter?

I would appreciate your input.
i would say it does not really matter as long as the roots have plenty of room either vertical or horizontally they should be fine.

A

addicted

When I was rocking the soil, I was running something I fab'd up. I grew in a 8" tall x 8' long x 6' wide container. 12 plants, equally in 2' square feet containment, something like 20 gallons each. Each container had sloping decline to which I had a drain, and a catch on underside. I also had a 400gph pump hooked to a line that fed several soaker hoses. They were pretty much covered evenly.

I liked the square shape, I did really well with this setup. I figured(opinion:devil) that the shallower the container the better the coverage and less dry patches... Soil was almost always full with roots, but some rare few would just grow roots on one half of it's container(runts :sign0055:).

If some other soil tillers have the room to grow something flat, try it once. I do veg a long time though..... soooo, ya.

Hell, I don't even use soil now though! Still veg forever though..............................

Top Bottom