Deep Purple yellow tips on new growth, not sure why.

• Thread starter HeadGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HeadGrow

HeadGrow

I'm running a couple new strains right now and have just put the first cycle into flower. I've noticed that the plants of the Deep Purple strain are all (veg room and bud room) growing new growth with yellow edges on the leaves. I've done some research on what could cause the yellow edges and it all seems to lead towards a magnesium, calcium or iron deficiency. I gave them a foliar feeding with some cal-mag and Liquid karma the other day and they haven't changed much from the pictures.

I'm not sure what to do since all the plants are fine except for the deep purple.

Some details:

I use a soil mix of my own.
The veg room has a 4' 8 bulb T5 and a 400W MH.
The bud room has a single 600W HPS.
I haven't been fertilizing them much since I've been adding soil amendments.
I started giving them a light dose of Liquid Karma, Botanicare's Pure Blend Pro Grow and Cal-mag. PH is always adjusted from high 5's to 6.5 after nutes are added. The dose has been coming out around 900 ppm.
I haven't checked the run off PH yet but will prob get around to it tonight.

Umm, I'm not sure what else to add for details. Let me know if you have any questions. Any help would be great. :bubblez:

DP_yellow_tips_4.JPG

1 month old cutting in the veg room

DP_yellow_tips_3.JPG

2nd 1 month old cutting in the veg room

DP_yellow_tips_2.JPG

DP mother 1 in flower room

DP_yellow_tips_1.JPG

DP mother 2 in flower room

DP_yellow_tips_side_shot_1.JPG

DP side shot in veg room

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

Looks like a little nute burn,she might not be a heavy feeder and should be O.K.,Just dial it back a bit,till you figure her out

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Looks like a cal/mag deficency. You're not going to notice much on the damaged areas, but check the new growth and if it looks good, then your good!

D

DaPurps

The way the leaf tips are yellowing out up top and leaving the veins dark i think you are MG def.

You said you ph from 5's to 6.5 and MG lockout will happen if that is the case imo.

I don't know enough about your soil mix, runoff PH, etc, etc to tell anything definative.

E

ent

Did you get lazy on your last watering and not check pH? That looks like the results of one bad watering where pH fluctuated.

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I've been in the process of finalizing my new rooms and haven't given these girls the attention they deserve.

The girls in the flower rooms seemed to clear up after i flushed them with regular water. my tap water runs around 7 - 7.5 usually. I ended up taking cuts from them and they are all looking good. i did check the run off after flushing and it was pretty low; in the 4.9 to 5.2 range.

The moms in the veg rooms ended up just getting cut back. My stoner ass never got around to getting a pH reading from the run off. Hopefully I'll be able to remember tonight seeing as it's time to water them (since I cut them back they are drinking much less). The new growth on one of them looks to be starting out with yellow tips but not nearly as bad. The rest are looking to have recovered.

I'm not sure if i'm going to keep up with the regular water or if I should add some Cal-Mag. Before I cut them back I foliar fed them with some Cal-Mag and a little bit of Liquid Karma. The affected areas didn't clear up but actually became crispy and died. Since i was able to take cuts from the children I just decided to take these ones back and see how they recover. I think JansJuke and DaPurps are right with the Mg deficiency. I didn't even think to check at what pH the Mg gets locked out.

I check my pH every time I water. The only time I don't is when I'm using regular tap water. I always adjust my feedings to 6.5. I think I'm going to use a little bit more pH up and bump them closer to 6.8.

I'll get some pics tonight and show what they look like now. These are all my first run from seeds to see which phenotypes turn out best. So hopefully they turn out decent.

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

The way the leaf tips are yellowing out up top and leaving the veins dark i think you are MG def.

You said you ph from 5's to 6.5 and MG lockout will happen if that is the case imo.

I don't know enough about your soil mix, runoff PH, etc, etc to tell anything definative.

Thanks! I was hoping someone would notice how the leaves are yellowing and have some insight to that.

This is my soil mix (off the top of my head):

base:
- 2 cu. ft black gold
- 1.5 cu. ft of FFOF
- 1 cu. ft of peat moss
added:
- 12 cups of perlite
- 1/2 cup bone meal
- 1 cup transplant fertilizer with B1 (not sure of the specifics in it)
- 4 cups of worm castings
- 1/2 cup of hydrated lime

The soil pH seems to be around 7 or a little higher after it's mixed. But that's based on a soil pH pen and i'm not sure how accurate those things are.

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

New Pics

So here are what all the moms that got cut back look like. Before I cut them back I gave them a foliar feeding with 5ml of Cal-Mag and 2ml of Karma. Since then they've been only watered twice with regular tap water.

Veg_Rm_1.jpg

The moms all chopped back. the front 3 are the different Deep Purple pheno's. In the back there are 2 Somango's, a Diamond Head, "Orange", and "Orange Peel" (from left to right).

DP_-_yellow_tips_1.jpg

The yellow tips are still there but not as bad

DP_-_yellow_tips_2.jpg

New tips with some yellow.

DP_-_yellow_tips_3.jpg

Yellow tips almost gone. (kinda blurry)

DP_-_yellow_tips_4.jpg

This one looks the best. Depending on how they bud out this might be the pheno I end up sticking with.

Yesterday I just gave them all a feeding with 15ml of Botanicare Grow and 5ml of Cal-Mag, pH adjusted to 7. Hopefully they fully clear up.

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

Oh yeah, I checked the run-off yesterday from these moms and it ranged from 6.0 to 6.4. I think that's a good range. I'm not sure though.

B

BigCountry

The first pics look like Potassium defficiency, and overfertilization. The later pics look like magnesium Deficiency.
Try a little Potassium Silicate, it will also act as a pH up if that's what you're looking for.
Keep in the Cal-Mag as well.

In your soil mix you may look into Montmorillonite clay which is 3% potassium, CA, MG, SI, Fe, Mn, Zn. It can be found in GH's Rare Earth, and Sparetime Supply's Trace Mineral Additive.

Peace

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

Here are some current pics taken just a couple hours ago.

All_DP_phenos.JPG

All 4 Deep Purple Moms. The one in the bottom left is the one that has the most yellowing.

DP_yellow_tips_5.JPG

close up of the bottom left plant.

DP_yellow_tips_7.JPG

bottom left plant, most yellowing

DP_yellow_tips_6.JPG

behind bottom left, second worst affected

DP_yellow_tips_10.JPG

doing the best so far

DP_yellow_tips_8.JPG

doing ok but leaves are looking retarded and the dark green is fading. I'm thinking this one needs some nitrogen.

It's weird, they all seem to be reacting differently to treatments.

deadcat

deadcat

I don't think nute burn, would be more papery isolated to tips when it starts, also in my experiences nute burn affects the lower leaves first, this seems to have started at the top. Based on yellow tips, droop and leaves curling upward, signs point to N def. This site might be helpful for your research, it has pics of DEF/BURN'd plants, it's a guide. Careful w/the N too close to flowering though, wanna keep it kinda low for taste from what I've read (don't want a DEF though).

http://strainguide.org/wp-content/uploads/growfaq/97.htm

Latest posts

Top Bottom