#deep Thoughts With Thriv3, Organic And Not Organic Grow Stuff.

• Thread starter Thriv3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Thriv3

Thriv3

So today I was studying for some Biochem stuff and decided that this would be a better use of my time. Here's a general overview of what I do. Once I have more lights I plan on messing around with things but for now I try to stick to what works.
My grows are done under 3500K citizen cobs because of the price point.
I have a sealed room with CO2 and keep it around 1200ppm. Humidity is dynamic for Veg and stages of flower but for simplicity's sake, let's say I keep it at an average of 55-60% and temperature usually averages around 76F depending on my humidity settings for optimum VPD.
My preferred medium is organic soil, fed with compost teas with OGbio war mixed in (all three packs). Water pH is typically 6.5 but I don't sweat it when it's up to 6.7.
For my non organic plants I use Sugar Peak. It has some organic ingredients but still has synthetic ferts. Again I use it for it's low price point and ease of use. (I'm a cheap college student).
Now for some pics! These are before and after shots of defoliating to get these ladies ready to flower. These plants willwbe done in 2 weeks. Ill be posting their progress. The flower shot is Purple punch just for fun.

Deep thoughts with thriv3 organic and not organic grow stuff
Deep thoughts with thriv3 organic and not organic grow stuff 2
Deep thoughts with thriv3 organic and not organic grow stuff 3
Thriv3

Thriv3

With co2, you want slightly higher temps. 82-84*max canopy temps with good air movement. This is also dependent on what week in flower, depending how you like to finish, flush, water only, autumn off tek.
I usually let my temps sit around 78 through the first 6-7 weeks then 76 towards the end. I used to run it around 80-82F and drop to 78F but a local guy told me I was too hot for ideal humidity. It made sense because I would have to run 65%+ humidity for the VPD to be in the green at 80-82F.
Does the standard VPD chart still apply with CO2 supplementing?

Thriv3

Thriv3

How's this sound for an experiment. I'll record the yield of a plant from my current run and put its clone in the same spot under the lights for the next run. I'll set temps alil hotter 80-82F with my rh staying at 55-60% and see if there's a change in yield. I know it's not the best experimental desgn but space and lights aren't cheap LOL. Once our other building is running I plan on doing some mythbusters type shit in our current spot.
Here's a pic of my Bubba's girl by csihumboldt for no reason

IMG 20180330 201013
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I drop temps depending on the week

Flip to week 6 (84* max) 1400ppm co2
Rh- goes from 55-65 depending on ac usage
Wk 6-7 82*
Wk 7-8 78* lights on, 75 off 600ppm co2 55%rh
Wk 8-9.5 (chop) lights on 75, 70ish off 600ppm co2 50-55%rh

Only H20 (bubbled 67*) last 2 weeks. No "flush".

This is my dialed in tek. I dont bust my ph pen or loop out any more. Its like clock work.

K

kansabis

I believe the vpd chart was actually for greenhouse environments but hey whatever lol,if you do around 80 I'd go with 40-50 humidity unless you got plenty of breeze.

Thriv3

Thriv3

Here's my current "experiment". It's 40 X 8w LED bulbs from Dollar tree disassemble and wired in parallel. Then stuck to aluminum for heat sinks with thermal grease. It took a lot of time and patience. Still not sure I'd recommend it but it isn't the worst light ever made. I'll post up a side by side of a plant under cobs and plant under my DIY light.

IMG 20180516 233539
IMG 20180516 233555
Thriv3

Thriv3

First the plant under my DIY, then plant under cobs, third will be the side by side with the cob plant on the right. I'll get weight from them in a couple weeks. These are another pheno of my Bubba's girl from CSIHUMBOLDT.

IMG 20180516 223354
IMG 20180516 224054
IMG 20180516 231345
K

kansabis

First the plant under my DIY, then plant under cobs, third will be the side by side with the cob plant on the right. I'll get weight from them in a couple weeks. These are another pheno of my Bubba's girl from CSIHUMBOLDT.
They look pretty similar,so ur light must be ok lol

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

So today I was studying for some Biochem stuff and decided that this would be a better use of my time. Here's a general overview of what I do. Once I have more lights I plan on messing around with things but for now I try to stick to what works.
My grows are done under 3500K citizen cobs because of the price point.
I have a sealed room with CO2 and keep it around 1200ppm. Humidity is dynamic for Veg and stages of flower but for simplicity's sake, let's say I keep it at an average of 55-60% and temperature usually averages around 76F depending on my humidity settings for optimum VPD.
My preferred medium is organic soil, fed with compost teas with OGbio war mixed in (all three packs). Water pH is typically 6.5 but I don't sweat it when it's up to 6.7.
For my non organic plants I use Sugar Peak. It has some organic ingredients but still has synthetic ferts. Again I use it for it's low price point and ease of use. (I'm a cheap college student).
Now for some pics! These are before and after shots of defoliating to get these ladies ready to flower. These plants willwbe done in 2 weeks. Ill be posting their progress. The flower shot is Purple punch just for fun.
if you really wont to save money,why not make your own feeds?you would be surprised how far 1 cup of rice wash and milk will go and the benifits,milk what 3 bucks,rice a couple bucks,i make my own LAB,FPJ and my OHN ingredients are on the way,with just those 3 things you could grow for a year,just seems you got it wired tight but arent sure,reason for difrent ways i guess,rest asure i have used many of the next best thing and wasted many dollars,worse one of all was the blue planet line,wound up dumping that shit on my fence to kill weeds 3 yrs later it still absorbed in the fence,lmao,but ya up front cost is cheap,natraul gardening,highest price item to be bought is the vodka to ferment all the herbs for OHN,once made the older it gets the less you use,stay good up to 3 years,might be a great idea for a student to take in

JakeyBakey

JakeyBakey

Nice @Thriv3 !! Im expirmenting with the same, love led brah. They look real similar. You have bigger on cob side, but more side branching on the bulb side. Keep the testing going!!
I have clones from the same exact plant - 10 of them getting the same exact light and they differ in size because of their root system. These 7w,8w,10w (in my case 15w) bulbs are killing it!! Much respect
20180326 164805

I forgot look at how these Vegged flawlessly

Last edited:
JakeyBakey

JakeyBakey

Here's my current "experiment". It's 40 X 8w LED bulbs from Dollar tree disassemble and wired in parallel. Then stuck to aluminum for heat sinks with thermal grease. It took a lot of time and patience. Still not sure I'd recommend it but it isn't the worst light ever made. I'll post up a side by side of a plant under cobs and plant under my DIY light.
Thats a pretty killer light you built there - clean cut! What spect you got there 3k?

Thriv3

Thriv3

The chop, dry, and cure are DONE!!! The cobs Bubbas girl yielded 38.5g, and the DIY fixture Bubba girl yielded 35.3g. To be fair and transparent, the cobs were high up for our taller plants.The DIY fixture sat really low giving a small advantage to the DIY Bubba's girl.

IMG 20180622 220122
tweedy

tweedy

The chop, dry, and cure are DONE!!! The cobs Bubbas girl yielded 38.5g, and the DIY fixture Bubba girl yielded 35.3g. To be fair and transparent, the cobs were high up for our taller plants.The DIY fixture sat really low giving a small advantage to the DIY Bubba's girl.

Thanks for the update! Any other notes on how the flowers turned out compared to one another? Noticeable differences in any of the usual categories other than weight?

Thanks again! Great side by side!!

Thriv3

Thriv3

Thanks for the update! Any other notes on how the flowers turned out compared to one another? Noticeable differences in any of the usual categories other than weight?

Thanks again! Great side by side!!
Dang it!Everything got mixed together after weight so we couldn't get a smoke report. I have a tester so I may even do that for $40/sample next time. I'll take better notes like stretch and node spacing. Possibly density if I can figure out how. As of right now if you have a couple hours and don't want to drop $500 on lights this is a decent alternative.

tweedy

tweedy

Dang it!Everything got mixed together after weight so we couldn't get a smoke report. I have a tester so I may even do that for $40/sample next time. I'll take better notes like stretch and node spacing. Possibly density if I can figure out how. As of right now if you have a couple hours and don't want to drop $500 on lights this is a decent alternative.
In the side by side picture you took they seem pretty even for stretch (assuming they were closely matched clones initially). Honestly I am super impressed with your build!

I put a couple of those bulbs in our bathroom and they were bright as hell but nice to see they can grow a plant well!

When/if you have some time do you mind letting me know how much it cost to put the whole thing together? I am on a huge budget and anything dollar tree has my name written all over it. Poor man's smart pot is one of their laundry hampers and black laundry bag stretched over it, haha.

Top Bottom