deep water cultivation

• Thread starter bfox19
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bfox19

I am about to start a dwc grow and would like to know if using h202 and fox farm grow big will be good nuts. how many ppm is recommended.

S

smokestack23

Hey,
Well FIRSTLY, DWC is for Direct Water Culture. Most people say Deep water culture but the water doesnt have to be DEEP so I think the D is for Direct.

Also, H202 is not a nutrient. I think you should do a lot of reading and research here. You will find what nutes are good and you will learn what H202 is for. Don't know that I would run H202 in my system constantly. It has it's uses but for me, not that.
YMMV

G

grandaddy

I am doing dwc with intelladose and harvest master light configuration. I am thinking of using an oxygen generator to pump it on the roots. Is it worth the trouble or is outside oxygen sufficient?

S

smokestack23

Who said it's DEEP water culture? I think that's just what people started calling it. If you let your roots hang in a res that's only 3" deep but 4X8 feet (not ebb-flow but dwc) is it called SWC? I'm pretty sure it's Direct WC...if not...it needs to be changed.

ANYWAY..too many threads get mottled down in trivial bullshit like this that can turn threads into a long pissing match. I guess I started it so I'm sorry. I'm not gonna argue about this.

Regarding the O generator. I read a thread somwhere where someone asked if injecting pure oxygen from an oxy-acetylene cutting rig into the water would help. An "EXPERT" replied that there is no point. That person explained (with the numbers) that it is easy to get the MAX DO that roots can use by just injecting atmospheric oxygen (air) into the solution using bubblers, movement, proper aeration.

If it would be beneficial, you would read about big commercial shows that use not only CO2 enrichment for the air but also O into the hydro solution. It is very easy and cheap to do.

Not to say that just because no one is doing something that it has no benefits but the pure O enrichment has been looked-at before and it seems that the answer is NO.

L

Lost

Dude, stop making posts where U talk out of your ass..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_water_culture

You have some knowledge, just nuff to be dangerous to others :)

Please, if you are not an expert please refrain from giving advice.

And adding pure oxygen will do nothig if your res is properly airated. There is a maximun amount of oxygen that can be disolved into the water and it is tempature related. (Dissolved Oxygen)

Here is a DO calculator if you wanna get batman deep into it..

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/solutions/faq/predicting-DO.shtml

squarepusher

squarepusher

its actually Drown Water Culture since you use water as a medium

L

Lost

lol Lost! funny chit but yeah, Deep Water Culture, All I can say to the O.P is get to reading, Your Question is way to bland, There are 20 other factors involved.
That being said my advice to a DWC newbie is "The Lucas Formula" or a variation.

Hey, how are U doin'?

S

smokestack23

And adding pure oxygen will do nothig if your res is properly airated. There is a maximun amount of oxygen that can be disolved into the water and it is tempature related. (Dissolved Oxygen)

WOW!! I don't really know where to start. First I guess..is..just because you see something on tv or read it on wiki doesn't make it true. If you check wiki:
you'll see the last sentence in the first paragraph that says:

Deep water culture (DWC) is a hydroponic method of plant production by means of suspending the plant roots in a solution of nutrient rich, oxygenated water. Bubbleponics is a related method of plant production that involves a top-fed Deep Water Culture system. A more accurate definition for the acronym DWC is Direct Water Culture. Direct Water Culture can be performed in deep or shallow water.
Actually that's the whole first paragraph but...you only have to look at the last sentence. that's the bunch of words right before the last little dot thing called a period. It'll start with a "big letter".

ANYONE can post ANYTHING on wiki.

Secondly...I'm pretty sure I said that there is a ceiling to the amount of DO that your plants can use and that is accomplish-able(?) by physical means Mr. Expert.

Thirdly..I don't even remember. It's just weird how you feel the need to attack me and say I'm providing dangerous info??

I don't know why you are that way and I don't really care. I can PROMISE you one thing. I have been growing indoors and with hydroponics longer than you...maybe longer than you've been alive..probably longer than you've been alive because you act like a 15 year old spoiled dick. I've been growing longer than you if you are 30 or younger.

I've only been hanging around here for a short time. I used to think it laughable the way so many people freak out and start pissing matches in threads. Not so funny when it happens to me though.

I have been respectful and helpful since I have been here. I have helped several people save their crops and they have thanked me for it. I don't profess to be a know it all and I don't give replies or advice unless I KNOW it's true from experience.

There are better ways to disagree with people than to say "you have enough knowledge to be dangerous to other people"..or "why don't you stop posting shit you don't know about.." or whatever you said.
That's exactly the kind of inflammatory shit that starts this exact sort of bullshit argument whos subject doesn't even deserve the time we're spending on it.

Oh and by the way...aeration is spelled aeration...not airayshun or however you spelled it.

You don't have to throw these rocks back at me or have the last word. I won't be returning to this thread to catch or see them.

Thanks for being so helpful.

L

Lost

Heheheh :)

Yea, your right, in fact the ONLY time I have seen direct water culture is on wiki who still calls it deep water culture. Lets be honest here, everyone calls it deep water culture. Never in a conversation with someone have I ever heard someone refer to it as direct water culture.

This is in response to several threads of yours I have seen where you shoot from the hip. I not saying you don't have alot to contribute, but you need to realize its all in context. from people growing with 70 watt hps in a desk to the 45k RDWC grows, info is only good in context.

Where did you read about this adding oxygen from an oxy acetelene rig would help? This sounds like someone just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 8. :)

P.s. - just cuz i aint spell not mean I not know sumptin bout' simptin'. :)

S

SkyMaster

I think if you look most anywhere DWC is an acronym for Deep Water Culture.

Now as far as pumping additional oxygen into your system I think all you need to do is make sure you have sufficient bubblers to keep the water moving at a very slow rate. This is what I've been doing for a few years with my simple DWC system...

11 gal Rubbermaid about 6 inches deep
600W hps
5' x 5' closet enclosed in Mylar
1 dual port air pump (about $30)

Just keep the water moving enough to prevent algae from accumulating and of course keep the light off the res. I have four nice Dr. Greenthumb Endless Sky fems growing at about day 60 right now. They're F2 hybrids from the original stock and yield about a hp each grow, maybe more this time since I have them dialed in. I'll post pics in a bit.

B

bfox19

ok thanks guys, i did some reading and got some advanced nutrients senci grow part A and B. 18 bucks on ebay sweet deal compared to how much the hydro store sells it for. i know there are a lot more factors that go into a grow other than nutes, a lot of trial and error and reading.

B

BayAreasFinest

Heheheh :)

Yea, your right, in fact the ONLY time I have seen direct water culture is on wiki who still calls it deep water culture. Lets be honest here, everyone calls it deep water culture. Never in a conversation with someone have I ever heard someone refer to it as direct water culture.

This is in response to several threads of yours I have seen where you shoot from the hip. I not saying you don't have alot to contribute, but you need to realize its all in context. from people growing with 70 watt hps in a desk to the 45k RDWC grows, info is only good in context.

Where did you read about this adding oxygen from an oxy acetelene rig would help? This sounds like someone just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 8. :)

P.s. - just cuz i aint spell not mean I not know sumptin bout' simptin'. :)

this... anyone suggesting the D in "DWC" stands for anything except Deep is ignorant and arrogant.

lol @ at the guy saying "Drown" Water Culture.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Take some of your own advice Lost. I've seen threads here where you get all butt hurt when you are the one not getting it. Fatman pwned you and now he is banned. I call bullshit
remember this? I do.
Ahhh, your right.. What do I know :)

Hay, is air a DO of 20 ppm or higher?

There are more Lostisms all over this site that are equally or more retarded.
Please, if you are not an expert please refrain from giving advice?
What an asshat

L

Lost

Take some of your own advice Lost. I've seen threads here where you get all butt hurt when you are the one not getting it. Fatman pwned you and now he is banned. I call bullshit
remember this? I do.

What an asshat

Yea, and I had somehting to do with him gettingbanned? He pissed everyone off, if you remember.

Also check out the posters other posts if your going to rip me. No really, read them and tell me he is not giving out bad advice.

And the 20 ppm of oxygen in air... You didn't really understand did you. In that thread, I was pointing out that air has more oxygen than water. 20 ppm would be a very high water do level, that was the point, that air has much more oxygen than water has do in it. So when the bubble comes in contact with the root mas, the roots are recieving more DO than the water DO could provide. (yes I understand air does not have DO, the point you missed is that air provides more oxygen than DO in the water.)

Im sure there are things that I have been wrong on before, no doubt. But what would you have me do, let this poster keep on giving out bad advice?

And your going to get pissy on me over someone that is calling DWC direct water culture?

L

Lost

remember this? I do.

What an asshat

Wait, you joined waaay after that incident. So your reading the edited post and jumping to conclusions? ?

Dude, get a clue troll...

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

@ lost
so that explains why I couldn't find some of the lostisms that I was looking for.
You edited them out after you realized how stupid they were.
Fatman may not have social skills as polished as yours but he has probably forgotten more than you will ever know
And the 20 ppm of oxygen in air... You didn't really understand did you. In that thread, I was pointing out that air has more oxygen than water. 20 ppm would be a very high water do level, that was the point, that air has much more oxygen than water has do in it. So when the bubble comes in contact with the root mas, the roots are recieving more DO than the water DO could provide. (yes I understand air does not have DO, the point you missed is that air provides more oxygen than DO in the water.)
You obviously still don't get it.
As far as being a troll, Fuck you. Look through my posts.
I joined this forum after reading Fatman's posts. If I had only read your posts I wouldn't have bothered.
Wait, you joined waaay after that incident. So your reading the edited post and jumping to conclusions? ?
I read a bunch of your posts and I am too old to jump to anything especially conclusions. Please take the last word. I'm sure it would mean a lot to you.

L

Lost

I have no more ability than you to edit old posts.. lol

Like I'm a mod or something?

Im a pretty straight shooter, I tell it like I see it, like it or not. :)

ttystikk

ttystikk

first post on this site! ...so don't flame me, lol

First, whoever wants to pump tank O2 directly into the waater, i'd be pretty concerned about two issues; one, such an approach might screw up your pH because straight oxygen is pretty reactive, and two the shit is seriously flammable. Imagine what might happen if you got your oxygen partial pressure too high in your growshow and the CO2 burner came on! Plants on da MOON, bro! Not pretty.

I believe in keeping things simple, which is why I'm on this thread to begin with. I am designing an RDWC (recirculating deep water culture) system along the lines of the undercurrent, but at lower cost. In the keeping it simple dept, I am considering the use of waterfall style aerators in the control bucket and reservior instead of airstones in every bucket. Thoughts? Also, where might I find an air venturi, since there are a couple places in my circulatory system where one might easily fit?

On to nutes- I am considering either Advanced Nutrients or General Hydro, as both of them purport to be pH balanced, and I don't have the coin to throw down on a lot of testing equipment right now. pH test strips is about as far as I'm able to go for now. Each 5 gallon bucket in my system will be about 3 gallons full, about 12 of them, and along with the 40 gallons or so in the res and the control bucket means a total water quantity of about 80 gallons, give or take. I want to be able to go three weeks between water changes, would accept two. what are your thoughts? Feel free to PM me.

Top Bottom