deep water cultivation

• Thread starter bfox19
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Gator

420Gator

why don't you put your danner somewhere cool? Also are you not pushin nuff air thru your danner causing it to heat up. Try adding twice as many airstones and see if you still have a hot pump. My ap-100 is only slightly warm to the touch, but I have had it get hot when I did not have enuff airstones. (its getting huge pressures inside because it needs to push more air and the few airstones don't let it vent nuff air)

great tip, i think mines a fire hazard a times

M

MediMary

why don't you put your danner somewhere cool? Also are you not pushin nuff air thru your danner causing it to heat up. Try adding twice as many airstones and see if you still have a hot pump. My ap-100 is only slightly warm to the touch, but I have had it get hot when I did not have enuff airstones. (its getting huge pressures inside because it needs to push more air and the few airstones don't let it vent nuff air)
I actually tested the alita not the danner, but
The air stones/airlines/air divider are Not hooked up, just the black tubing that comes with the airpump(little 1 inch piece of plastic) and that little plastic piece that reduces the size down, thats it!

If they(airlines, air stones, divider) were hooked up i bet the temps would be even higher due to all the resistance. I never would have thought the air being pumped out was so hot, until I actually took the time to measure it.

well its generally only cool at night here, but its 75 degrees outside at the moment(NM has a pretty brief winter in the south)
so nowhere to put it colder than that unless I put it in the fridge,LOL:) the air in the grow room is 70 degrees, but that still puts me at pushing air out in the day thats 97-98 degrees.

I took readings and posted them up in my grow thread, but at 74 degree ambient air temps, the pump is pushing out 101 degree air, (measured three different alita 40's by the way).

The pump also doesnt feel hot to the touch, like I said I would have never guessed in a million years the airs temps being pushed out were soooo freaking hot with that first reducer on there. This is after your airpump has been on for awhile as well, at least an hour. If you plug it in it takes awhile before it first starts pumping hot air.

L

Lost

Perhaps the reducer is your problem. The ap100 comes with a manifold that actually has an airspace, so do most splitters. 100 degrees is waay to hot, I suspect something is not right.

M

MediMary

You have to use the reducer to attach the airlines. The reducer I am talking about is sent with all UC systems regardless if you get a AP or Alita pump (not like something I pulled out the drawer).

L

Lost

Ahh your referring to the diffuser for the main bucket! What exactly is your ap-100 pushing? My have a hi-blow-40 (some expensive Japanses unit, was sent to me because the ap-100 was oos) on the main diffuser and the ap-100 feeding 6 buckets. So I actually have 2 pumps on a UC6XXXL, a 40 and a 100.

How did you set yours up? Im thinking your ap-100 is running too hard, its ment for 3/4 inch i/d tubing to the manifold which has large airspace. I did not necessarily set mine up per CC's instructions :)

M

MediMary

ok so when you get the system from Under Current it comes with 2 pieces of hose connected with a tee, one of the hoses splits off to the air manifold, the other larger bore air tubing feeds the epicenter.

What you use to connect the hose to the pump(that little piece of plastic that allows you to connect the hose, that is all I had on in my testing.
I am positive its installed correctly, it was put together at UC.
Plus I tested three different alita 40 pumps, not like I might just have got a bumb pump or something.

*edit, Ill take some pictures over the weekend, might be easier to explain.

M

MediMary

i did some testing this afternoon on three brands of pumps, the Alita40 pumps the hottest air, DY 40 pumps the second hottest air, and Pondmaster40 pumps the air that is least hot.

About a ten degree difference between the "alita" and " "danner pondmaster" pumps.

deadcat

deadcat

Lol, funny posts. Fox farm works good but just so you know I have a 27 gal tote that is about half way full and I only use about 2 tablespoons of Grow Big, then during first half of flower 2 tablespoons of Grow Big and 2 Tablespoons of Tigerbloom 2 tablespoons of Big Bloom. and Just Tiger bloom and Big Bloom (2 tablespoons each) during last half of flower, you need a lot less nutes w/Fox Farm, easy to nute burn.

R

RMCG

Who said it's DEEP water culture? I think that's just what people started calling it. If you let your roots hang in a res that's only 3" deep but 4X8 feet (not ebb-flow but dwc) is it called SWC? I'm pretty sure it's Direct WC...if not...it needs to be changed.

:confused0054:

I suppose we could just go old school and call it 'tank gardening' or whatever it was called in the 30's.

They should change the name of Aeroponics to 'pretty cool misting system' and NFT to 'just more than a dribble', because that's really all it is... Speaking of NFT, is that technically not 'direct water culture' too? Or does the depth of the solution in the container matter?

The reason threads get 'bogged down' in 'trivial shit' is due to incorrect usage of standard things.

Not Bro-Logic or parrotting, but generally accepted information being bandied about incorrectly.

S

smokestack23

Tank Gardening. NOW we're talkin'.

I mean after all...a lubrication technician is still a grease monkey. A mixologist a bartender and a sandwich artist an immigrant..lol

Quote:
Not Bro-Logic or parrotting, but generally accepted information being bandied about incorrectly.

That really bothers me. I guess I'm just a dick but when I see things like nuts instead of nutes or nutrients...or when EVERYONE uses an apostrophe EVERY TIME they pluralize something....THAT one REALLY irks me. It's one thing for "normal" people to use apostrophe's (like that) every time a word end's in an s (lol) but it's EVERYWHERE. On tv, newspaper's (again lol), advertising and signs..

Nest thing you know teacher's ;) will be saying...."well it USED to be that we used apostrophes when making abbreviations or for the possessive "tense" but now we can just put apostrophes on every word that ends in S..especially if the word ends with a vowel".

It seems especially atrocious at these grow sites. No wonder no one takes us seereeuslee.

If, as a community, we want to get this shit legalized..or decriminalized, we have to wear suits, get a haircut and learn to spell. Oh..AND..actually get off the couch and go to congress or wherever it is that you need to go. Personally, I'm not a big fan of legalization. I mean..it totally SHOULD be legal...ALL drugs should be...but...I kinda like it the way things are. As soon as it DOES become legal, big business will lobby and keep us out of it (like the liquor and tobacco industries do...just TRY firing up a still or making and selling some smokes...or an alternative way to fuel our vehicles)..prices will DROP and we'll be fucked. Well..SOME of us will.

If the drug company lobbyists, forestry, big oil, cotton....and drug dealers want it to stay illegal..well...the drug dealers might as well sit back and let the big corporations spend THEIR time and money to keep it illegal.

Just wait till it's legal...Monsanto, Parke Davis, Exxon, and many others will make DAMNED sure that we can't compete.

OOPS..a little off topic there..sorry for the rant. I have No idea how this went from DWC to apostrophes to legalization. NOW I see how these threads keep getting bogged-down..it's ME!!!

Now do I delete all this nonsense or post it?? Ahh..I'll post it along with a promise that I'll never do this again..well I'll try not to.

:)

R

RMCG

Spelling mistakes drive me nuts too, but only in 'real' life. I consider myself someone who can spell, has a decent vocabulary, and doesn't sprinkle willy-nilly or withhold punctuation, but on occasion I am posting from a mobile or some other device, so I miss capitalization or stupid auto-correct has no idea wtf I'm talking about. < -- Haha almost a run-on sentence while defending my English 101 skills.

It's funny that people when they first start attacking an idea in a forum, usually dive right to spelling errors, as they can't tear up the idea 'itself'.

S

smokestack23

Auto correct is too funny sometimes.

I've never even noticed anyone else freaking-out about spelling. Well..besides me.

There isn't anything in this thread to tear-up anyway.
PEACE!

M

MediMary

i was looking at that deep water culture article on wikipedia, the reference listed for the article is "rollitup"

ROFLMAO

S

smokestack23

I think the funniest part of the whole thing is that when you search wiki for DWC you don't get there...the definition whatshisface linked to was the definition for Deep Water Culture.

When you look up Deep Water Culture on wiki you'd THINK it would say it means Deep Water Culture but..it says that it correctly means...ahhh..nevermind...I thought I was done with this thread long ago.
I didn't even want to come back to this thread but every time I see that there's a new post I just can't help myself. I gotta find some willpower somewhere.

speaking of rollitup...I think it's time for one.
PEACE!!!!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sooooooo... back to actual subject of this thread for a moment. I am building an RDWC system using 1" bulkhaeds,1" flex hose and 55 gallon drums for reserviors. Is it the consensus here that I need an airstone in every bucket, or can I use waterfalls to gain sufficient dissolved oxygen levels? When I get the system running I will start a thread, there will be a few twists I think people may find interesting.

L

Lost

You def. need the airstones :)

Sorry for the thread jack! :)

C

cannabisabalism

Airstones and Hoses are going to be the least of you money worries and can be hooked up easily I think. Unlike many things in your set up to much air in you water delivered via airstones and pump will not hurt your plants but not enough will.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Cool, thanks, guys! I need to get some pics of my McGuyvered up oddball crackpot pull it outta my ass gear, like a light rotator that I made out of a mountain bike and a windshield wiper motor...
I researched the different types of hydro out there and since I plan to grow some sizeable specimens, I am building out an RDWC system much like the one this thread is based on. I asked Stu in his thread about another crazy project I'm noodling on, this time it's a system to use cool water coming into the house to chill a grow room.

Using a couple car heater cores, a canfan for each one, and a big reservoir and a pump to push the water thru the cores and back to the res, I'll have a setup that moves heat from the room to the res.- something fairly big, like a 55 gallon drum or something. Then, I plumb the incoming water to the house thru a coil that runs around the inside of the res, and then on to the rest of the house. that way, whenever someone uses water for anything, like showers, the lawn or whatever, cold water cools the res. City water comes out of the tap here at something like 55 or 60 degrees year 'round. Even if i end up needing a chiller, wouldn't this deal with most of the heat from a sealed growroom? The chiller wouldn't have to work too hard, cuz it would only have to deal with whatever heat the cold water coil doesn't... what do you all think?

Latest posts

Top Bottom