deer repellent that works

• Thread starter amrad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

amrad

I'v had numerous gardens destroyed by deer in previous years, so this coming season i'm looking for a good deer deterrent.
The deer in my area are like domesticated stock, they dont scare easily, and they sure arnt afraid of humans. So this time around i'll be using a product from sweden called plantskydd.
I'v tryed the human hair, urine, they just kept a munchen, so hope this works. Anyone used this stuff?

Blaze

Blaze

If the deer get hungry enough they will eat your plants. No repellant will stop them. A fence is the only for sure way to keep them out.

B

BayAreasFinest

liquid fence has always worked well for me. I have seen the deers walk right toward my crop and turn away once they get to the liquid fence. it smells like rotten deer piss.

R

Rolln J

how about using some of those animated Halloween and xmas characters that talk and move on a motion sensor?

Blaze

Blaze

You can get electronic deer repellers which are basically just motion detectors that set off light and noise. These seem to work better than any of the "smell" based repellants, but they still are not fool-proof. If they deer get hungry enough, they will ignore pretty much anything to get to food. Repellents seem to work better if the deer already have existing food sources and are well fed to begin with.

Regardless, I have seem them ignore liquid fence, predator urine, lights, noise, and virtually every other repellent you could think of. If they are starving they WILL eat your plants.

R

Rolln J

yeah you gotta wonder how long before the deer in that area figure out the noise is not a threat.

I have seen deer at the end of the summer hop then fence in my front yard and eat leaves off the bushes and ornamental trees.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

You could give Jobo in the lounge and his friends a call.

Blaze

Blaze

Haha, yeah a good rifle can work well too, but it still isn't as effective as a good fence.

shamus dolan

shamus dolan

Breeder
Supporter
fence is the only really good way,you can buy a roll of concrete wire for 80 bucks and use them year after year.they rust nice,camo themselves,and last for years........shamus

A

amrad

Hey guys thanks for the ideas, I cant use a fence it would be spotted for sure, I'm growing on crown land, and my area is full of tourists in the summer. And I'd gladly shot the pricks if the area was real rural. I dont think that they'r starving, being browsers they just love any plant that looks like a bush. I think they dont like eating of the ground because they cant see if preditors are stalking them. I'm thinking I might try staking my plants down to the ground by planting them in five gallon plastic oil cans and screwing a 1'"x4'" inch board abour six feet long onto the outside so I can run slates horizontal to the 1x4, and use that to tie the plant to. That way I can stand it up to water and prune and lay it down for stealth. Then I'll spray the area around with the repellent. Let you all know next spring if this works. I'm madly collecting oil cans from the service stations. LOL

H

hytymez

that still wont work,but since your staking them down.build a low frame and cover them with bird netting or deer netting.

Blaze

Blaze

That's not a bad idea hytymez. You really need some sort of physical barrier if you want to keep the deer out.

Hiding a fence may be easier than you think amrad. I've seen gardens where you couldn't tell there was a fence there until you were standing a few feet from it. The trick is to find older fence material that has turned brown and use that - it blends in much better than new wire. Then, run it along the natural contours of the land and foliage. You can even weave in dead branches to break up the wire. Basically, you want to make sure that what ever you are using is the same colors as the natural foliage, and that the straight lines of the fence are broken up. If you can break up the straight lines created by the wire the fence it will be much harder to spot.

A

amrad

Thanks for the ideas guys. I got a few good outdoor strains so think I'll make a raft of clones and try a couple different methods. Might have to rethink the fence after reading your post Blaze, good idea too Hytymez.
Aussie think the product i'm thinking of might be a similar one to what you posted, but i'll go to the library and see if i can borrow that book thanks all.

D

Down South Sage

You put enough of that red pepper wax spray on them and they might nip it once but they will leave it the hell alone if they get a mouth full of jabenero!That's the best thing i've used plus I bought the mountain lion and wolf predator urine this year and put it out on cotton balls glued to golf tees.Didn't even use chicken wire and only had one snapped in half at the main stalk,my pops said I was just lucky to keep not putting chicken wire around them and see what happens.

B

Barrelhse

I have had EXTREMELY good success with a product called Millorganite. It's a lawn product made from sewer sludge, the odor repels the deer. It's available at most garden centers and at Home Depot. (Keeps them out of the hosta, too.) Just strew it around, lasts for many weeks- I only need 2 apps. per season.

M

MadBuddhaAbuser

fence and predator urine. dont use rusty fence, just buy some chicken wire and spray paint it natural like.

you could always throw a salt lick or some corn kinda far away by close enough so there not hungry when they get to your stuff if you want to be an eco-friendly freak:damnhippie:. they'd be less likely to browse right there if they got some shit they love.:smiley_joint:

fractaLz

fractaLz

I used this stuff called "deer out", all natural and doesn't wash off in the rain. I put out 75 babies and every single one of them got eaten. Ordered this stuff up and applied it to another 75, not so much as a nibble after applying it, even after months of rain.

If you're going super gorilla mode and can't use chicken wire I would give this stuff a go.

http://www.deerout.com/

A

amrad

Cool ideas guys, gota do some shopping today so I'll look for those products you guys mentioned, just to see if they carry them here. I'm def going to try a few different methods, just to see what works best.
Was out scouting sites and found a gooder with lots of sun right near an airport hehehe and I mean near, when those choppers lift of they should fan the leafs. But unless you got on the ground and looked through the short shrubs you cant see a thing. Best thing is the shrubs are broom and they dont have big sun catching leafs so I can plant almost under them and still get lots of sun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom