Deficiencies And Lec Lights

• Thread starter Nickracer9
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Nickracer9

Started running the Lec's for flower and veg and have noticed some leaf issues popping up. It's looking like phosphorus but just wanted to see what you guys think. Lights are about 2 feet away. I do spray every few days with Push foliar which claims to be safe lights on or off but I usually only do with them off. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Deficiencies and lec lights
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

The way they're cuppin up almost looks like heat stress/burn. If it was a p def (ime) the leaves would be a bit darker. How are the stems looking, any purple stripes starting?

justiceman

justiceman

Throw us down some more information.

What are you growing in? Coco? Soil? Rockwool?
What PH are you running and is your pen calibrated?
What EC are you feeding your plants?
I'm assuming you are running Veg+Bloom?
Temps/Humidity/Watering Frequency?
Tap water or Reverse Osmosis?

Without any of that stuff stated my guess would be a calcium issue of some sort.

Also I'm interested to know what PUSH has in it or atleast what the label says it does.

Last edited:
N

Nickracer9

Ok, strain is blue venom and they are being grown in promix hp with some extra perlite. I run mills in veg at 5.9-6.1 around 400ppm and it's about 21 days out of a solo cup. I tried a little hot out of the gate after transplant at about 5-600ppm and got some tip yellow/burn but plants were nice and green. So I backed down to 400ppm and just started working my way back up. I usually just keep feeding but make sure I have runoff. I add about 2ml of cal/mag every few feedings. Water is filtered but not r/o. I don't really monitor temps but my intake fan comes on around 75 degrees and the room never goes below 63 or so. Stems are mostly green but do see some light purple strips. This is my first round vegging with lec coming from 600w m/h s/e. I started using them last round in flower and had the exact same issue in early flower as well. Since then I moved them to my veg and have been seeing really fast growth and structure but now this little leaf cupping and burn look. This plant is actually about 3 feet from bulb on the outer skirt of light envelope. Thanks guys!

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Alright, I'm thinking ph may be an issue as promix is primarily peat (if I'm not mistaken).

Also, 63 degrees is a pretty cold, so that rules out heat. If it was me I'd set the fan to kick on when the temps get to the mid 80s.

The purple stems point to mag def, I'd use 1ml calmag in the feedings always instead of 2ml intermittently.

For the record, I'm not very experienced with peat, I run coco. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The way they're cuppin up almost looks like heat stress/burn. If it was a p def (ime) the leaves would be a bit darker. How are the stems looking, any purple stripes starting?
It looks a bit like pH twist to my eyes.

Whenever I've had P-, two things happen first--purple/reddened petioles, then a too-dark shade of green. I've never had it progress to the necrotic areas and leaf yellowing, but there's a first time for everything!

N

Nickracer9

Are you guys saying change my input ph up/down or do a heavy flush with ph nutrients to bring the soil back in check?

justiceman

justiceman

Promix right? I'd play with my ph like seamaiden said. I'd probably change it to around 6.1-6.3 for pro mix but then again I'm not as experienced with promix either so keep that in mind. Also make sure your PH probe is calibrated.

Like savage henry said I'd personally add calmag every feeding but I don't know what your starting waters EC level is nor do I know how much cal/mag mills has in it.

cannabeans

cannabeans

Kinda interesting...
I recently switched to and LEC light with supplemental MH and I have been experiencing what looks like a P def as well. I just chalked it up to a new soil I was using.. But last round same Roots soil Ive been using and also looked like a deficiency.
I was reluctant to mention anything here because I thought it must be operator error, But there may be something to this.

N

Nickracer9

Starting water ppm is about 30ppm after it's filtered. I'm typically running 3-400ppm under 600w mh but the lec's are needing higher inputs I believe. I will admit after 3 weeks of veg from solo cups the plants are ready to flip and the plant structure is better then it's ever been. The stocks are huge and the dry times are much faster then they've ever been. Just need to figure out why the leaves are doing this. Starting with cal mag first but not sure what ml per gallon to go with.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

In pro mix I would run my ph at 6.5 and drop to 6.4 after week 4 of flower. That's me though. At 6.0 your hovering around the sweet spot....for coco.

justiceman

justiceman

30ppm hell ya that's some clean water. I'd probably start at around 100-150ppm(.2-.3EC) worth of calmag and see if that slows or stops the deficiency. I don't know what calmag you have so you'll have to experiment with a gallon of water and an EC meter to find the right ml measurement. I'm assuming it's something like 2-5ml per gallon. Hmmmm so you are seeing faster growth and an increased in watering frequency. Did the pot dry out too much a few times? maybe there are some dry pockets in the mix.

N

Nickracer9

Yes I have a 3 stage filter but disconnected the r/o circuit cause I'm just trying to get rid of the chlorine. I do run a little dry the first couple waterings to get roots moving but after that it's no less then 30-50 percent water content from there on. Growth has been great though, plants stay short and bushy with thick stem structure.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Kinda interesting...
I recently switched to and LEC light with supplemental MH and I have been experiencing what looks like a P def as well. I just chalked it up to a new soil I was using.. But last round same Roots soil Ive been using and also looked like a deficiency.
I was reluctant to mention anything here because I thought it must be operator error, But there may be something to this.
Ok, BOTH of you NEED to read this thread! (Fuck, I hope I can find it! I'm pretty sure I stickied it.) Yup!

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...m-affects-nutrient-use-in-plant-tissue.58621/

organix4207

organix4207

It looks to be a mag deficiency which could be caused by an abundance of nitrogen from the over feed also the nitrogen in the cal/mag. Im not sure how much calcium is in your base nutes but if it's 5% or more you should be using epsom at 1-1.25 grams per gallon instead of cal/mag.

cannabeans

cannabeans

Ok, BOTH of you NEED to read this thread! (Fuck, I hope I can find it! I'm pretty sure I stickied it.) Yup!

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...m-affects-nutrient-use-in-plant-tissue.58621/
I have read that when Cap first posted it... I just never expected that was my issue but it probably is. I have increased the P and that seems to have halted my issue. I was keeping the P on the lower end because the lady I'm dealing with didn't like higher amounts of food. She is doing better now.
Thanks again for the review!

Latest posts

Top Bottom