Deficiency? Any Problem? Your thoughts?

• Thread starter MegaMan2003
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MegaMan2003

MegaMan2003

My little girls are looking wierd and I’m wondering what y’all’s thoughts are?

See pictures I have from 3 seedlings. Leafs have discoloration, looking light. My research supports either nitrogen or iron deficiency.

My user error could be foliar spraying too much or too much differential in low to high humidity, with 40% - 70% (Low - High) daily.

These are about 3 weeks, since planting germinated seedlings.

- 3 gallon smart fabric pots
- FOXFarm Ocean Forrest-lime-perlite
- NO nutrient feeds yet, only PH 6.0-6.5 water

I’m thinking I need to provide some nitrogen within their next watering (Grow Big FF) that should help this issue? But if it’s iron deficiency, then how do you fix that?

Let me know what you think, any advice or thoughts are welcome.

If there is no issue, and my plants are just young and discolored because of my foliar spraying for the increased humidity, that would be awesome too.

Deficiency any problem your thoughts
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 2
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 3
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 4
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 5
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 6
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 7
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 8
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 9
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 10
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 11
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 12
Deficiency any problem your thoughts 13
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My little girls are looking wierd and I’m wondering what y’all’s thoughts are?

See pictures I have from 3 seedlings. Leafs have discoloration, looking light. My research supports either nitrogen or iron deficiency.

My user error could be foliar spraying too much or too much differential in low to high humidity, with 40% - 70% (Low - High) daily.

These are about 3 weeks, since planting germinated seedlings.

- 3 gallon smart fabric pots
- FOXFarm Ocean Forrest-lime-perlite
- NO nutrient feeds yet, only PH 6.0-6.5 water

I’m thinking I need to provide some nitrogen within their next watering (Grow Big FF) that should help this issue? But if it’s iron deficiency, then how do you fix that?

Let me know what you think, any advice or thoughts are welcome.

If there is no issue, and my plants are just young and discolored because of my foliar spraying for the increased humidity, that would be awesome too.
Looks like magnesium deficiency.

What are you growing in?
What are you feeding it?
Why does the soil look watered unevenly?

MegaMan2003

MegaMan2003

Growing in Fox farms ocean forest. Week 3 feeding it PH 6.3ish distilled water. Soil is drying out, and you must be looking at the shadow of the leaves. The new growth is looking more evenly green. I’m going to feed them tomorrow for first time. Got distilled water with cal-mag, Fox Farms Grow Big and Big Bloom, shooting for a light 300-400 PPM. They’re on their 4-5 set of leaves.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Thrips was my first guess....ive had this before. It most likely a ph issue if its not variegnation(probably spelled wrong). Google variegnation in plants! You'll see..ive heard dj shorts blueberry does this.(read that in a forum)...I DONT THINK DISTILLED WATER IS GOOD FOR ANYTHING...IF YOU PUT NUTES IN DI WATER IT WILL DROP THE FUC OUT OF THE PH...BAD IDEA....GET SPRING WATER AS THAT IS BUFFERED

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Have you done any phing or ppming of your water source?

MegaMan2003

MegaMan2003

yeah I PH the water to 6.3 or so. But I’m thinking I’m still to high on the PH. Going to go for a 6.0, and I was thinking PH issue could be it. I know they should have plenty of nutes available in the soil still. Just not able to take in the nutes because of PH being too high.

MegaMan2003

MegaMan2003

I use distilled water because I don’t have RO system and I want to start from scratch and not feed the plants any unnecessary. I know what you mean about the nutrients dropping the PH like crazy. I usually add 1/4 portions of cal mag & Fox Farms Big Bloom to help buffer the distilled water so I can adjust the PH. I’ve found this Fox farms ocean forest is a little light on the Calcium and Magnesium side, and usually have that deficiency pop up if I don’t add in some cal-mag.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I use distilled water because I don’t have RO system and I want to start from scratch and not feed the plants any unnecessary. I know what you mean about the nutrients dropping the PH like crazy. I usually add 1/4 portions of cal mag & Fox Farms Big Bloom to help buffer the distilled water so I can adjust the PH. I’ve found this Fox farms ocean forest is a little light on the Calcium and Magnesium side, and usually have that deficiency pop up if I don’t add in some cal-mag.
The 6th photo from the bottom is im almost certain a ph issue.you are in ffof. Your ph should be 6.5.
Need to find out what your soil ph is.

You got a spare 100 bucks lying around?...Extech ph100 soil ph meter is the ticket here. I have one and it works pretty darn good

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Don't use spring water it often has a very high ppm and mineral content. If using distilled you need to add back a buffer. I would suggest 75ppm of potassium silicate for this. Spring water is unpredictable in contents.

Curious what the ppm of your tap water is.?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cal mag will not buffer the water. Most are calcium and magnesium nitrate and those do not provide any buffering. If you can find a cal mag with calcium carbonate or bicarbonate sources then you can use it as a buffer.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I used spring water cheap gallons from walmart were at 120.

Ill try the silixa thing again and see if it works. I dont think it did though

Flowable lime might help. never used it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I used spring water cheap gallons from walmart were at 120.

Ill try the silixa thing again and see if it works. I dont think it did though

Flowable lime might help. never used it
Sounds reasonable but depending on the spring and the company some are easily 400+ppm

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Does this look like an ingredient list that is plant friendly

Fast-Absorbing Premium Calcium

Calcium + Magnesium + Vitamin D3

Umeken Mineral L-Calcium

Benefits

1. Absorbed by the body quickly because it is made by the fermentation process of L-type calcium lactate from sugar-beets. In fact, Mineral L-Calcium boasts 3,800 times the solubility of calcium phosphate (calcium from cow bones) and 6,800 times that of calcium carbonate (calcium from clam shells)
  2. Doesn't cause digestive system side-effects, such as stomach ulcers and constipation, due to its absorption and ionization properties.
  3. Contains Vitamin D3, which helps the body absorb calcium better
  4. Includes 84 premium minerals obtained through a 50x concentration of minerals from the Great Salt Lake in Utah
  5. Made in Japan – Umeken Premium product

Umeken Mineral L-Calcium is made from 100% fermented Calcium Lactate, Salt water brine, and Vitamin D3. This calcium product contains no other ingredients or binders. The water solubility of Calcium Lactate is about 3,800 times that of calcium phosphate, and 6,800 times of calcium carbonate. Mineral L-Calcium can even be used when making rice or soup so you can now take care of the whole family's calcium needs.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Does this look like an ingredient list that is plant friendly

Fast-Absorbing Premium Calcium

Calcium + Magnesium + Vitamin D3

Umeken Mineral L-Calcium

Benefits

1. Absorbed by the body quickly because it is made by the fermentation process of L-type calcium lactate from sugar-beets. In fact, Mineral L-Calcium boasts 3,800 times the solubility of calcium phosphate (calcium from cow bones) and 6,800 times that of calcium carbonate (calcium from clam shells)
  2. Doesn't cause digestive system side-effects, such as stomach ulcers and constipation, due to its absorption and ionization properties.
  3. Contains Vitamin D3, which helps the body absorb calcium better
  4. Includes 84 premium minerals obtained through a 50x concentration of minerals from the Great Salt Lake in Utah
  5. Made in Japan – Umeken Premium product

Umeken Mineral L-Calcium is made from 100% fermented Calcium Lactate, Salt water brine, and Vitamin D3. This calcium product contains no other ingredients or binders. The water solubility of Calcium Lactate is about 3,800 times that of calcium phosphate, and 6,800 times of calcium carbonate. Mineral L-Calcium can even be used when making rice or soup so you can now take care of the whole family's calcium needs.
Would be highly available just not sure how much sodium goes along with it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Is there any cal. Mag product/s that solublize in water to give us natural alkalinity?
Calcium carbonate. Cheap and readily available. That combined with magnesium sulfate would make a good buffering cal mag.

Bit more to it but calcium carbonate does not do as well as calcium nitrate in concentrates that's why most liquid cal mag is nitrate form

MegaMan2003

MegaMan2003

Issues seem to be progressing after 2 days. Fed them last night, gave them some. They got taller and leaves peeled up too. But the “tiger” stripes of light and dark green are more visible now.
25C0FB45 A036 49B2 87D3 F8115631AE24
D6B340D1 75E6 404B B55D 8E37A3AE475E
A2F341D9 EDC5 403F B12C EF328FE69501
4FE16D60 F73F 4BBB BC21 42186E45BFA6
6AD81B59 CC14 458B 864B FBF49D04FE43
82190C0E B9E2 4E5E B162 D66D0336422C
F733E020 9424 485E 9418 E1CAB25570AC

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The 6th photo from the bottom is im almost certain a ph issue.you are in ffof. Your ph should be 6.5.
Need to find out what your soil ph is.

You got a spare 100 bucks lying around?...Extech ph100 soil ph meter is the ticket here. I have one and it works pretty darn good
+1 pH swing

yeah I PH the water to 6.3 or so. But I’m thinking I’m still to high on the PH. Going to go for a 6.0, and I was thinking PH issue could be it. I know they should have plenty of nutes available in the soil still. Just not able to take in the nutes because of PH being too high.
Distilled water pH isn't what you think it is, it has no measurable ions

plus I don't think you're feeding that plant balance nutrients

and your pH is fluctuating too much (maybe because distilled water PH isn't what you think it is?)

you might do better using tap water, what is its ppm?

a plant that small in fresh foxfarm I wouldn't even be feeding it nutrients yet

bestride

bestride

I have the same problem with one of my plants. Leavs are crumpled with such pale spots on them. New leaves seem to born with those defects already. In general the plant seems to grow a bit slowly. Can't figure out, what's that.

I grow in coco.
Fertigate from seedling stage
Use a lot of CalMag - so cant be sure, the problem is with it.
I use water with 75 ppm, solution PPM 600, PH is about 6.0. I check PH with 2 different calibrated meters, they show the same numbers.
I also have another plant in the same tent - feed it completely the same and it doesn't show such symptoms...

Do you use LED ?
Did you have problem with germinating a seed? I had one - put my seed between too wet paper towels. Now I think, maybe this was a case.
Did your plant stretch to the light at the beginning?
Did it have problem getting rid of helmet?

MegaMan2003

MegaMan2003

I have the same problem with one of my plants. Leavs are crumpled with such pale spots on them. New leaves seem to born with those defects already. In general the plant seems to grow a bit slowly. Can't figure out, what's that.

I grow in coco.
Fertigate from seedling stage
Use a lot of CalMag - so cant be sure, the problem is with it.
I use water with 75 ppm, solution PPM 600, PH is about 6.0. I check PH with 2 different calibrated meters, they show the same numbers.
I also have another plant in the same tent - feed it completely the same and it doesn't show such symptoms...

Do you use LED ?
Did you have problem with germinating a seed? I had one - put my seed between too wet paper towels. Now I think, maybe this was a case.
Did your plant stretch to the light at the beginning?
Did it have problem getting rid of helmet?

I also had the paper towel issue with one of the seedlings but not sure which one. Couple helmet issues. But all fell off and the new growth looked good. No stretching really until now at week 4.
The tiger striping has leveled out since over the past week. New growth looks good and has been a consistent color of dark green.
I’m using (1) 8” x 12” LED it has both a Veg and Bloom switches (LED says rated equal to 1000W grow light) and (1) HPS 150W light. I keep them raised high. I have 9 plants all in different stages of life. So it’s rough right now. I just finished drying a small 2 Photo-plant harvest and now I have my small veg tent back to start up some more seedlings. What A JOB!

Top Bottom