Deficiency/lockout problems in coco with synthetic nutrients

• Thread starter Juicejk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bunkerking

bunkerking

My set up is almost identical to yours except I use different nutrients.

Stick with your base nutrients only for now. Once you get that dialed in with your base, then introduce your supplements(over kill in my opinion).

Feed daily, lower EC if needed.

Reduce cal-mag to 2.5ml per gallon. Too much calcium will lock out magnesium and other nutrients which is probably what happened to you. I would also just slightly increase your pH range, keep it 5.8 -6.2.

That was my 1st thought after I saw he waters daily. Maybe too much cal.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Oh sorry I kind of didn’t write the feedings exactly correct. I was at like 450-500 ppm and then I upped my dosages by .5ml every other day throughout this week until I hit like 600-620 was the highest ppm or 1.2ec. I dropped my feeding back down to 500 then 450 for the last feed they had. The silica does raise the ph a lot but that’s why I add it in first and then add ph down until I hit 5.8. That’s what the guys from Cannabis lifestyle tv said to do. And wizard npk too. But you are correct with full 5ml dose of the calmag and iron plus 5ml of base a and b is closer to 600 ppm or 1.2 ec. I use distilled water that is 0ppm so I thought I needed the full dose of calmag and I thought since the plants were getting bigger that I should try to increase up slowly but I have heard so much about how coco robs your plants of calmag so I thought I needed full 5ml

If it's cheap coco that you didn't double buffer with calmag. Then yes it will. If it's quality coir, it won't. I don't even buffer coco depots stuff. Just wet and go.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Here’s some pics I don’t know if this angle helps
ok those are full veg 450 to 700 ppm start 450 slow and work up,just as the chart i posted by the time you get those to 600 it be time to flip ,then when in transition same thing slow and easy working the ec up like in by days not imediatly

Juicejk

Juicejk

i use the golden tree it is some stanky shit,but has a purpose enzyms too,by no means am i saying lay them down,but understand them first,best thing i can tell you to do as i have many before you,take a glass or cup and how ever many bottles of stuff you use or want to use ,make that many cups,same amount of water in each cup,check ph and ppm of that water,write it down,the take 1ml of each product and check both ph and ppm of each product in there seperate glass ,then you know what you have and what it does to your over all numbers if you dig,you can take some of those difrent products and use as ph up or down,take cal mag for example,raises ph right,so that said and reason i mentioned to take your regular mix and cut the nutes by half and check them is because losing the silica alone will drop the ph.
another example ,i was doing a hydro grow outside past summerin a 33 gal trash can,do you realize how hard changing that res water was with a watermelon plant coming out of it and growing into a tressil on a wall,didint happen but 1 time and i figured that shit out,the same way i describe with the glasses,so every other day i had to top off 5 gal of mix,i check the ppm which is minerals ,food,then check the ph,so if my ph was running low id add cal nit or if plant was yellowing,mag sulfate,when i added the food the ph dropped a lot,so ph low i give a little more food,if im not as green as i want to be i drop the food and add mag,you see what im doing there,im using the actual feed program to rise and lower my ph topping off 5 gal every 2 days was damn sure easier than dumping and restoring a 33 gal res every couple weeks lmao
Wow that is insane. That is a hell of a grow! Lol yeah that golden tree smells absolutely awful. I will follow what you said here. It sounds like you have taken a very scientific approach to it and I like that. I definitely understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense.

Juicejk

Juicejk

If it's cheap coco that you didn't double buffer with calmag. Then yes it will. If it's quality coir, it won't. I don't even buffer coco depots stuff. Just wet and go.
I’m using canna coco bricks right now. I did buffer it but I didn’t do it entirely correct I don’t think but I know what i could’ve done to be more efficient with the buffer process. But yeah I see what you mean I misunderstood that about how the calmag in coco works

bunkerking

bunkerking

I’m using canna coco bricks right now. I did buffer it but I didn’t do it entirely correct I don’t think but I know what i could’ve done to be more efficient with the buffer process. But yeah I see what you mean I misunderstood that about how the calmag in coco works

Yah the cation exchange stuff is confusing. Should be able to reduce the calmag without any issues

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Ok first off it’s not coco, don’t treat it like coco, treat it like soil.
That’s the first issue
2. Do I spy thrips? Pimpled leaves? Worse russets? Scope it out and get us a pic off the underside the leaves.
3. Phos lock is showing, meaning either temps are too low or the feed deficiencies in the npk ratio.
4. She is wayyyy to wet for a perlite coco mix.
Treat it like soil. If feeding organic, get coco specifically designed nutes.
Or like I say again treat it like soil.
Going coco, go pure not a mix. They jus don’t translate well. Trust me ! We ran 45k plants in the BX mix and boy was that a learning curve! It’s not coco!! Lol.
Overall they look good. Just a few minor tweaks and I believe you are there. And oh drop that humidity to about 45-48% if she is taking too long to dry out in between watering/feed. Lower the lights to 18”-22” from canopy
Cheers
Jack

Juicejk

Juicejk

That’s the first issue
2. Do I spy thrips? Pimpled leaves? Worse russets? Scope it out and get us a pic off the underside the leaves.
3. Phos lock is showing, meaning either temps are too low or the feed deficiencies in the npk ratio.
Going coco, go pure not a mix. They jus don’t translate well. Trust me ! We ran 45k plants in the BX mix and boy was that a learning curve! It’s not coco!! Lol.
Overall they look good. Just a few minor tweaks and I believe you are there. And oh drop that humidity to about 45-48% if she is taking too long to dry out in between watering/feed. Lower the lights to 18”-22” from canopy
Cheers
Jack
Wait so are you saying that by adding perlite to my coco that it’s now more like soil than coco? I’m kind of confused by what you mean. I’m using coco and perlite with synthetic nutrients that are compatible with coco. I almost got canna coco base a and b instead and I wish I would have now. I’m not using organic amendments I was asking if the person that replied to me was using them

Juicejk

Juicejk

That’s the first issue
Cheers
Jack
Also I have been spraying neem oil for the past 2 weeks every 5 days and I just picked up some insecticide. I have been checking the bottom of the leaves but haven’t seen anything that looked like pests but I had thought it looked like thrips too. I need to get a scope so I can check with more than a blind eye.

Juicejk

Juicejk

Wait so are you saying that by adding perlite to my coco that it’s now more like soil than coco? I’m kind of confused by what you mean. I’m using coco and perlite with synthetic nutrients that are compatible with coco. I almost got canna coco base a and b instead and I wish I would have now. I’m not using organic amendments I was asking if the person that replied to me was using them
Is it more like soil because the perlite holds onto water more than coco? I used a 80/20 ratio on the canna coco to perlite

Juicejk

Juicejk

That’s the first issue
Cheers
Jack
Should I let the medium completely dry out before the next feed? This is one question I haven’t been able to fully find a correct answer on and I have seen people say they feed like 3 times a day in flower and I’ve just been confused on how frequently I should feed or how dry the coco should be?

bunkerking

bunkerking

Should I let the medium completely dry out before the next feed? This is one question I haven’t been able to fully find a correct answer on and I have seen people say they feed like 3 times a day in flower and I’ve just been confused on how frequently I should feed or how dry the coco should be?

Never ever let it go dry. Going dry will lead to a salt build up and ph issues. Never ever.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Is it more like soil because the perlite holds onto water more than coco? I used a 80/20 ratio on the canna coco to perlite

Nope it's not soil, not Rockwool, not dwc. It's coco. Treat it like coco. Unless you run organic nutes.... but you are not. Perlite will just help it dry out faster.

bunkerking

bunkerking

Uh oh. Conflicting info. Who wants to take over? Two theory with coco. Hydro or treat it like soil. Jack is a soil type coco user. Not that it's a wrong way to go about it. Just not the way I was taught.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Bx, not pure coco, treated like soil with a few tweaks, we fed every 3 days and watered every other day, plant size vs pot size dictates that. Treated like coco they would “rot”.

DD3F006E 9F73 48E0 A589 FCF8F03C6A65
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Never ever let it go dry. Going dry will lead to a salt build up and ph issues. Never ever.
I agree with that but it’ depends on plant size and pot or container size. In coco it’s true but from what we understand it’s not coco...

Juicejk

Juicejk

I agree with that but it’ depends on plant size and pot or container size. In coco it’s true but from what we understand it’s not coco...
I am not really sure what BX mix is. I googled it just now and that’s definitely not what I have so I was confused by that. I see now that you weren’t referring to the coco perlite mix I have. The roots of my plants are busting out of the side of the fabric pots so I think they have pretty decent roots

Top Bottom