Defoliation stages and the curiosity!

• Thread starter Cheechbe2311s
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cheechbe2311s

Cheechbe2311s

Should I defoliat when plants are in veg stage?, so that this way the bottom gets more light

Defoliation stages and the curiosity
Defoliation stages and the curiosity 2
Defoliation stages and the curiosity 3
Madmax

Madmax

Im not sure how your plant will react once light is exposed to the roots..id cover those up..your plant doesnt look too bad atm.the laterals will push out past those fan leaves..

Cheechbe2311s

Cheechbe2311s

I've had them in there for about 2 weeks now and light is hitting the roots and have been. So far no problems. But on other hand was thinking about if it was harmful or not, so was gunna get some potting bags. I also have 3 mirrors in the room With the ladies (hopefully, cause I started from seed).

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

It's still early. Wait anther month or two. Usally 2 weeks before switch is ideal

Cheechbe2311s

Cheechbe2311s

They are 3.5 weeks old at this point. I can only let them get 7ft tall 8ft at most. Right now they are 8inch right now. So imma be switching In the next 2-3 weeks.. Also should I top them before I put them on a 12-12?

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Yea top them before the switch, I give them 2 weeks to recover I also do an extreme defoliation (lolipop) 2 weeks before

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

" I also have 3 mirrors in the room With the ladies "

???

What are the mirrors for?

Cheechbe2311s

Cheechbe2311s

Mirrors are used in grows at angles so that it can give the ladies a form of light under their skirt lol.

sshz

sshz

Mirrors reflecting light are so inefficient you might as well not bother........

Most plants do better when their roots are NOT exposed to lights......it may be ok, but then again, why take a chance. I can assure you you gain nothing by having them exposed but may be taking some risk of stress.

Defoliating too early, like 2 weeks before flowering, kind of defeats the purpose as it gives the plants time to grow all their leaves back again. The whole purpose of defoliating is to open up the plants bud sites. Most experts, I.e. breeders and such, defoliate close to the switch to flowering, like the within a day or two before or after. Do a google search for Rasta Jeff of Irie Seeds who has a podcast on defoliation which is excellent.

sshz

sshz

You should be letting the plants growth tell you when to top, not a firm date. How tall are they now and what’s the strain?

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

The theory behind the mirrors makes sense when you look at how tents reflect light but in practical it does little to nothing, to my understanding the par output being reflected off the mirror is just not strong enough, defoliation is your best practice to get that direct light penetration under the canopy

Last edited:
Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Mirrors reflecting light are so inefficient you might as well not bother........

Most plants do better when their roots are NOT exposed to lights......it may be ok, but then again, why take a chance. I can assure you you gain nothing by having them exposed but may be taking some risk of stress.

Defoliating too early, like 2 weeks before flowering, kind of defeats the purpose as it gives the plants time to grow all their leaves back again. The whole purpose of defoliating is to open up the plants bud sites. Most experts, I.e. breeders and such, defoliate close to the switch to flowering, like the within a day or two before or after. Do a google search for Rasta Jeff of Irie Seeds who has a podcast on defoliation which is excellent.

I must point out my purpose for defoliation 2 weeks before switch is to focus its energy on the top colas and continue defoliating up to 2 weeks into flower removing any growth that might have occurred during the point of the 2 weeks recovery

sshz

sshz

Mirrors are terrible at reflecting light. Probably less than 50%, opposed to some sheet plastics that reflect 95%.

The main idea with defoliation is to get light to bud sites. For energy, and larger cola’s, you lollipop the plant to remove branches. You may think otherwise, but you’re a little confused with what’s going on. Removing leaves does not give the plant more energy, it actually is taking away the little sugar factories the plant uses to grow.

Marzcanna

Marzcanna

Mirrors are terrible at reflecting light. Probably less than 50%, opposed to some sheet plastics that reflect 95%.

The main idea with defoliation is to get light to bud sites. For energy, and larger cola’s, you lollipop the plant to remove branches. You may think otherwise, but you’re a little confused with what’s going on. Removing leaves does not give the plant more energy, it actually is taking away the little sugar factories the plant uses to grow.
Each to their own I guess, I've lolipop / defoliate for years with good results & shall continue to do it, let me explain as you might be abit confused, as stated above in my previous post, its to focus it's engery producing denser buds on top rather than waste its energy on lower pop corn buds

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Each to their own I guess, I've lolipop / defoliate for years with good results & shall continue to do it, let me explain as you might be abit confused, as stated above in my previous post, its to focus it's engery producing denser buds on top rather than waste its energy on lower pop corn buds
I defoliate and have very little popcorn, partially because i defoliate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom