• yes

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bobby1220

Bobby1220

Hey all,
Let me preface this by stating that I do know this is a controversial subject and I do not profess to be an expert on this subject at all Im just a dude who loves to grow. (I RARELY defoliate my outdoor plants if ever. This is more for indoor.)

I grow with amended organic soil and use all Down to Earth products in my AACT's and super soils. I realize that fan leaves store nutrients and sugars the plant needs and to take them off the plant would seem counter productive. But, if my plants have all available nutrients in the living soil, wouldn't it be able to take what ever it needs from the soil and use that instead of relying on the leaves for stored nutrients? And if the plant is being fed constantly by the soil, and there are no pests and all conditions are being monitored then Defoliation should be beneficial for opening up that canopy and getting light penetration down to the lower buds.
I never defoliate my outdoor girls, however, I do popsicle stick them. Because, I want the biggest, most vivacious plant possible and she's going to need those fan leaves to fight off pests, recover and take in that all encompassing sun. But indoor, you have a stationary light that can't possibly compare to the power of the sun and it doesn't move, leaving lower branches barren and full of popcorn.

I feel all of this is highly subjective to age, phenotype, strain and timing and grower experience, but it seems to work out on my end.
I also start LST training on my girls young and start removing foliage (sparingly) about half way through VEG. I think if the plants are raised being subjected to defoliation, LST, topping etc then they will be more attuned to it and power through any manipulation throughout its life cycle.
In my last 2 weeks of flower right before my last feed i do one last small defoliation (handful of fan leaves each plant) before I start the final 2 weeks of water/molasses.

Again, most of this theory is based on what I've seen by just being overly obsessive with my plants. If the science is wrong please educate! Id like to get some solid information on this and see where everyone lies.

fatawa

fatawa

I def do it..not much past 5th wk tho..pretty much let plants focus on flowers when thats what there doing..but to each is own

Top Bottom