Deformed leaf, lime green...

• Thread starter Relaxed420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Relaxed420

So, two weeks ago I take over a garden that was being neglected and just not cared for as it should have been. The problem is with some veggin plants, I am not sure the medium 100% but it seems to be a combo of some potting soil with a high amount of peralite, seems like an attempt at a medium that was similar to a soiless type medium. I am converting them over to the BX Pro Mix. I PH at 6 (+/- 0.2) using GH three part with Silica Blast, PPM's 800-900 depending on age.

Like I said, the garden was not in the best shape, there was flowering plants (approx 4 wks in) with P lock out from VERY COLD temps from a swap cooler that was being left on 24/7 even during temps that were into the 40's! Lot's of PM and a small amount of mites, but I am sure it was too cold for them to take hold. Veggin plants were a bit better but lots of the same problems. Over the last two weeks I have turned these around and things were stablizing and while the flowing plants still have turned back green they are starting to really get some size to the buds and the colors are starting to look better and seem like they will survive and something salvaged.

So enough background, here are the issues I need help with:

I was able to get the veg plants looking lush and green and new growth has been good, end of last week I pushed some of the plants a bit and went up to 1000PPM's on some of the room and noticed the room got very dark green and leaves started curling down, so it looked like I was over fert'ing a bit. I also was noticing that there was a bit of Mag issues and some of the plants got a small flush and some epsom salt. The last few days I have started to find some of the new growth on several plants deformed, looks like crinkled lime green that didn't quite grow out fully and then there are some that have but it looks like the leaf was streached and that part is dying. I have also seen some mild spotting of what looks like a bit of rust starting (not much at all and not on all plants but the ones that had it also have the other issue).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Any pix? Have you noted any pests, especially gnats or what appear to be gnats?

For me, when in doubt, a good foliar of something like seaweed/kelp, or what's becoming my standby, Botanica MaxSea, will help in two ways--gives me time and lets me see if there's alleviation of symptoms.

R

RELAXED EXPRESS

The Picture!

Here is the picture you asked for!!!!

2010 12 06 134617
R

Relaxed420

I have a friend trying to upload pix, I'll try to get a few more tonight. I'm going to run a flush and do a folier spray of some green magic and see. Only thing different over last few days is two things, introduced root excellerator 2ml/g and hit a few with epsom salt 2tsp/g to help with a slight mag issue and that has gone away and been replaced with latest issue, it is,effecting more of the crop but not all.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Check for fliers and bugs in the rootzone, and afterward if nothing's found I would do a media EC/TDS/ppm (provide conversion factor used, please) test in order to ascertain whether or not there may be a lockout situation happening. This test changes depending on how much water the media absorbs, but for soil and coco here's what I do:

Take equal amounts of clean RO/DI (or rain, or distilled) water of known parameters (measure pH and EC/ppm at least) and media sample, mix together for 2-5 minutes, let rest until it's separated. Strain off the water (I use a paper towel most of the time) and measure parameters. I've found a few problems and resolved them performing this test and I feel it's superior to doing a run-off test. I'll perform as many of these on as many different plants as I feel necessary including some random samples of those that are doing well (it helps me see how to get it right, at least w/that strain) to get a picture, then act accordingly. Usually it's something like more of a flush, perhaps with a good flushing agent like FloraKleen, and then a good feed with pH-adjusted nutes.

Other times, like currently, it's something else. Like root aphids (my current situation, I believe, or previously, have had issues like black spot, i.e. Septoria blight). HTH.

R

Relaxed420

Here are a few more pics, yesterday I ran a light flush using 'florokleen' and mixed up a little bit of "green magic" and gave them a foliar spray. I'm on my way there to see how they are doing...

Crisp Plant
Plant Burn
Plant issue
R

Relaxed420

Small issue with Spider mites but as for bugs that's it and the ones with this issue do not seem to have any tell tale signs of them and they are a small population, decreasing every day. I have another garden where flying critters are a problem, but not at this one and I know that those flyers in the other garden are gnats not aphids. I did not look at the run off yesterday (like I should have), we will see how they look today and I'll check some of the different soils see if the PH is off.

R

Relaxed420

I figured I'd put a few more pix up of what I am working with, I took this garden over about 2 weeks ago. It was pretty ratty and a LOT of issues! I scratched my head a whole LOT wondering how and why! There were flowering plants approx 3-4 weeks in that had everything from PM to P lockout and temps were dipping below 50 and getting as high as 75, only reason spider mites didn't take hold was they were too damn cold to reproduce! Had no rime or reason to the strains (so far about 3 main ones and 7+ others) or labels on them (have to flower out some clones to see what some of the strains are), there was florablend and GH basics and like every type of sweetener you can imagine, it looks like a hydro owners dream customer was growing there! The place had soil just dumped on the floor right above a flowering room with holes on the floor that dropped old soil right on top of the plants below, the mixing utencils looked like they hadn't been cleaned ever, with slime and salts all built up on them.

So for the last two weeks I have been cleaning and stabelizing everything, the first pic was from right after I had cleaned up the plants and got all the dead stuff off, flushed and fed once. Next is like 4/5 days ago.

The flowering stuff has come back and from where they were at, they are going to turn out not so bad, IMO.

GVeg start
GVeg dec1
GFlower b4
Flower
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
LMAO!! Oh my goodness, please, don't make me try to look at them sideways and upside down, I'll break something.

R

Relaxed420

LMAO!! Oh my goodness, please, don't make me try to look at them sideways and upside down, I'll break something.

LOL, now don't go breaking things, I got it fixed. Yeah it was kind of dizzying wasn't it.

R

Relaxed420

Oh yeah and back to original problem, notice that the tips are not burnt.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wow, WHAT a difference your care has made! I can see a huge, huge difference. I say just keep doing what you're doing and giving them your Relaxed kinda love.

Top Bottom