dehumidifier in a not-sealed room is it doing anything?

• Thread starter 20north
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

20north

so i have a room that isnt sealed with a 4inch intake fan and a 6inch outake fan.

i use a dehumidifier,i dont know if its worth it ... my air comes in at 45-55 degrees not important but the humidity is very high its at about 85% when i strap a digital humidity meter to it.....

so now for the real question i have a dehumidifier running all the time on the most agressive setting possible and it takes water from somewhere possibly just because its right up against my intake... everyone i have talked to in person say that a dehumidifeir in a not sealed room is just wasting electricity even if its collecting water the dehumidifier is just changing the humidity in your air by only 1-2%RH every time it passes through and the air is then vented out by my 6inch fan so its worthless everyone has told me

i am then told to upgrade my 4inch intake to a 6inch... my 6inch outake to a 8inch outtake to get rid of my high humidity

would you hold on to the dehumidifier? i never plan on making a sealed room

R

Rolln J

uh yeah...

if your air is coming in at 85% then that is the problem...

G

GroHi

lol ;-)

I'd say it all depends on the circumstances, but at 85% input, any dehumidifier will help! Increasing your vent fans is only going to exchange more of the really dank air... 85%... likely will have a mold factory intermixed with a little bit of unusable meds...?

Heck, think I would close the room off (seal it) just to protect from the outside moisture!?!

20north

i dont think i can seal my room... :(

i am told i need to upgrade my 4inch intake fan to a big passive intake with a big filter and/OR im also told to upgrade my fans from a 4" to a 6"(intake) and a 6" to an 8"(outtake) to help with the humidity.... i was going to trade in my dehumidifier to get a new fan and filter

i want to beleive my dehumidifier isnt working because it costs more for electricty to have it running 24/7 and i dont see how it is going to work in the room i have if its not running every second the dehumidifier is collecting its full amount 17 pints in about 24 hours... its right up against my intake filter and really close to my RESI

so its just collecting traces from the intake ??

is it worth even owning this machine?

whats the best info i can give should i get pictures would that help the most or more on readings ?

it sounds like a sealed room is my only option but i doubt it really is my only option

i do feel like a 4 inch fan is capping my airflow to the point i would think i could be creating mold and a space with no co2 because my bigger fan as my outtake is making a vacume

20north

grohi and rolln j thanks for your replys im so LOST about what to do.. do i keep the dehumidifer or do i trade it in for a new fan or just go with something passive and run the dehumidifier and just HOPE the people at my local hydro store are wrong? im thinking thats the best i can do selling my dehumidifier sounds sad because it seems very efficent if i had a sealed room in the future gosh im so confused i feel like better fans is going to help more than my dehumidifier.... AAAAHH

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Bro I would seal that room up imo>>>>Or at least shit can the fresh air intake and spend some money and incorporate C02 in the grow... Internally scrub the room or exhaust it at timed intervals>>>> many different ways to go without that fresh air intake pulling in 85% humid.. No matter what size fan or filter you put on the intake you are still gonna be pulling in 85% humid air.. That is un satisfactory growing conditions bud
what size is your grow space??
You should always have your outake bigger than your intake. Even having a bigger exhaust fan and filter isn't gonna solve your humidity issues.

Also getting a big dehumidifier will solve your problems come to think of it>>>>Set that shit and let it work. Get one thats big enough for your grow

R

Rolln J

do you live somewhere its very humid all the time? and where does your fresh air come from? under the house or what?

thats very high humidity for incoming air - if thats coming from under your house - then thats where your de-humidifier should go - or really you need a good crawl space one...

G

GroHi

20~ I feel your frustration... this is a legitimate gut turner. Besides running dehumidifiers 24/7... you'll need to offset the heat by using more a/c, which will also pull more water of the air on a positive note. You kinda end up in a seemingly never-ending dump of resources on hardcore equipment + even more & more power... you will eventually end up using as much on the support equipment as you do on the lamps themselves. AND, if you don't do this, then mold factory & all for not.

I read about this in some book... can't recall which, but some guy growing basically in a swamp... solution... he moved. lol ;-)

J

Jalisco Kid

How long do you plan on growing? If this is a passion do it right and design your room right. Always fighting shit is no fun. If you are in a med state build your room right sell half of your crop and your room is paid for. Even my style of room will give you a 45% net. JK
Santa fe makes nice dehuey's.

20north

i think this will be my last run for a year or so.. electrical cost is just too much for me right now. It seems like it makes more sense to buy it from other farmers than for me to do this right now i am burning sulfur to get rid of any chance for molds? i was going to go to day 25 with the burner i know thats streching it like 5 days but with my humidity im questioning ifi should go to day thirty with the burner and give it one small burn then..

does re potting your plants in flower going to make them stretch alot more than they already would?

G

GroHi

20~ I'd personally burn the sulfur... and... ahem... maybe even foliar some systemic... (did I just type that???) Also, it's a big deal, but would hate to see you close it down...

JK~ been eying the SF's for a little now... going to upgrade on the next build. Seems at 6.9A, the Dual XL is the way to go. When they reheat the air, does it add back much at all? Seeing that it uses a refrigerant... what's the real effect to the room (heat wise)? Thanks brother!

EDIT~ just saw your post... word of caution... everyone "local" is dealing w the same issues. They are likely using the burners & chems too. If you do it yourself, well, so much more control over what you will be intaking. Take a title loan on the car, third mortgage, rent the kids & wife... whatever it takes as that passion will never go away! ;-)

20north

sounds like i should have made a super green house.... completely climate controlled with co2 , ac/dehumy...

this is sad i really think im going to drop my project just because i do have a passion and i didnt do this to exactly what my wishes were i kinda tried to just make it work well and well it does besides my humidity problem so i must go with a sealed room i guess
oh gosh this is really sad fellow farmers i will deff post my log once it is completed.. i didnt do anything wrong really besides not sealing my room it seems the fan is a little small but the humidity seems to be the only half ass thing in my project gosh... i sure learned alot but in the end it seems like buying medication from friends with good quality medication is almost the best idea for now because they prob spend alot on their bills everymonth and need someone to help them out too...

thanks alot for everyones help hopefully i can get my smart pot question answered should i upgrade from plastic 1 gals to 3 gallon smart pots to make up for this being my first and last with this room? are the plants going to stretch alot if i put them in bigger pots this is aurora ROOTS coco in ebb and flow

E

easypleasie

One thing you can do is buy another hygrometer (humidity measurement thingy) just to verify. That's really high RH for those temps. Has it been raining? lol I would think many are dealing with too low of humidity during the Winter. With your conditions, your best option is to seal up the room. Till then, you might be able to tweak a thing or two but it's an uphill battle.

20north

my air comes directly from outside i will go buy more hydrometers today to see if this is really accurate but it was last year at this same exact time all my mk-ultra got wiped out half way through and i had a passive intake at the time... i have my intake and outtake venting in from the roof and through the attic in to the space. yes i too would think it would be a joke to use the air from under the house

20north

i live off of ***** **** ****

i have 5 ATF X kodiak gold seeds i really should grow and thats probably all i can grow i think most of the strains i have are likely to get PM i should have tried only strains good with fighter pm i dont have any signs of it since ive been using a sulfur burner though @ every 9 days

******** ****, California (Airport)
Updated: 12 min 51 sec ago

48 °F
Light Rain Mist
Windchill: 42 °F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 44 °F
Wind: 14 mph from the SSE

Pressure: 29.97 in (Steady)
Visibility: 4.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds:
Mostly Cloudy 2600 ft
Overcast 3200 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 56 ft

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
yeah brother not to smart on exact location data..

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
i dont even use an intake fan. its fine.

Top Bottom