Dehunififying without Dehumidifier

• Thread starter Oricson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oricson

Oricson

Has anyone got tips on how to dehunifify a room without a dehumidifier. I can't afford to buy a plug in right now. Has anyone tried the gels/ silica crystals etc with any luck?

Oricson

Oricson

It's a small root cellar with a grow tent inside. It doesn't have the beat ventilation unfortunately

Dan789

Dan789

My thoughts are you’ll spend plenty trying the crystals which may not give you the same results as biting the bullet now and getting a dehumidifier...
Either that or grow off season when your cellar is in a better RH range you can live with...

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Unless you have a lot of desiccant on hand you're going to spend more money on that than if you were to just buy a dehumidifier. I see several on Amazon for under 40 dollars with 4 star + reviews. Here's one for 29.99 plus free shipping if you've got Amazon Prime - KEDSUM Electric Mini Dehumidifier with 17.6 oz Capacity, 1200 Cubic Feet (150 sq ft), Compact and Portable

I would imagine that little guy would do the trick especially if you put it directly in your grow tent.
Otherwise if you can't afford that I would suggest making ventilation ports in your root cellar somehow, with a small electric fan to help circulate fresh air.

Do you have a portable A/C unit? A/C will help reduce humidity levels, as well. Just out of curiosity what is your RH % at? I wish I had this problem. Unfortunately for me the air here is so dry I can hardly keep my indoor grows above 40%...

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
The crystals would bankrupt you to absorb all of the water that plants give off. Anything like that will quickly become saturated and useless...salt would work just as well and a lot cheaper! Keeping the air moving will help out somewhat, but a small AC unit or something along that line is really the only choice, unless you could somehow draw drier air in from the house and exhaust the room's air somewhere it won't cause problems...providing you have AC in the house or the levels in the house aren't too high, like an un-air conditioned house in Florida in August. Running lights and warming the tent will lower the Rh a little, but the problem will return when the lights/heat go away.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Unfortunately for me the air here is so dry I can hardly keep my indoor grows above 40%...
During the winter, my Rh levels drop below 20 when it gets really cold, but it has never been an issue at all except when starting a grow...I sometimes see the very tips of leaves getting dried out. As the plants grow and begin to transpire more, the problem goes away. The biggest problem I have with low humidity is drying the harvest...it trys to dry out too rapidly.

Oricson

Oricson

Unless you have a lot of desiccant on hand you're going to spend more money on that than if you were to just buy a dehumidifier. I see several on Amazon for under 40 dollars with 4 star + reviews. Here's one for 29.99 plus free shipping if you've got Amazon Prime - KEDSUM Electric Mini Dehumidifier with 17.6 oz Capacity, 1200 Cubic Feet (150 sq ft), Compact and Portable

I would imagine that little guy would do the trick especially if you put it directly in your grow tent.
Otherwise if you can't afford that I would suggest making ventilation ports in your root cellar somehow, with a small electric fan to help circulate fresh air.

Do you have a portable A/C unit? A/C will help reduce humidity levels, as well. Just out of curiosity what is your RH % at? I wish I had this problem. Unfortunately for me the air here is so dry I can hardly keep my indoor grows above 40%...
It's been as high as the high 90s. I've got it down to the low 70s now which should be fine for veg. I'm thinking ahead to flowering as I'm also worried how hot it will get down there in the summer. Just ordered a small dehumidifier...

Kepp89

Kepp89

It's been as high as the high 90s. I've got it down to the low 70s now which should be fine for veg. I'm thinking ahead to flowering as I'm also worried how hot it will get down there in the summer. Just ordered a small dehumidifier...

when you say small do you mean this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C3NMK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because it hardly does anything for me so far. i resorted to using a hella old one. check out garage sales try n find one. the wooden frame ones with a big bucket in the back and a hose

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

when you say small do you mean this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072C3NMK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

because it hardly does anything for me so far. i resorted to using a hella old one. check out garage sales try n find one. the wooden frame ones with a big bucket in the back and a hose
Agree, I have a similar unit which does absolutely nothing, even inside a five-by-five tent. it takes days for it to fill that silly little cup up even in the most humid conditions

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter

Usually root cellars stay pretty cool in the summer depending on how hot it gets in your part of the world, and how far underground it is. If temps are an issue too, I would definitely look into an A/C unit. This time of year you may still find them for cheap if you look into local garage sales and pawn shops, maybe look on craigslist if people use that in your area, too.

DistyDemon

DistyDemon

If the op cant find a plug for the deheuy, hows he gonna plug in an ac? Assuming he is out of plug space and/or amps designated for the grow.

Deadstill

Deadstill

Supporter
If the op cant find a plug for the deheuy, hows he gonna plug in an ac? Assuming he is out of plug space and/or amps designated for the grow.
No, he said he can't afford to buy a plug in. I was simply stating, if he already has a portable a/c unit on hand, it will help lower the humidity, as well.

Oricson

Oricson

Yup, that exact one. Lol

I will be sending back for a bigger one if I can't find something

Top Bottom