Delurking To Check The Weather

• Thread starter OlgaStruthio
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OlgaStruthio

OlgaStruthio

Greetings all,
I've lurked and occasionally posted over the years, and I'm emerging from hiding now to share and learn as I take our operation to the next level. Over the past several years this operation has grown from a 400W light with a ballast I built inside a mailbox to the current building, 3 rooms, 400 ft^2, 18 x 1000W HPS, ~60 plants.

This is a plausibly legal operation in a medical state, in a rural area with more problems with meth and heroin than small-time pot growers. My partner lives on-site.

We recently had a break-in, thieves breaking in on the day before harvest (need more odor control, perhaps?). My partner called the police. The local drug task force was on site real quick. They checked out our grow, and soon told us we were the victims and not the criminals. There was no search, and we're clearly on their good-guy list. The thieves are being prosecuted, charged with multiple felonies each. As for us, we were told not to worry. We were a bit surprised by the police's easygoing reaction, so we asked around. We learned that we had already been checked out by the drug task force, running our identities and asking local informants if they knew us or our business. Nobody did. Lesson Learned: Don't shit where you eat -- we're very careful that nobody in the county where the grow is located ever gets our product.

I have a partner handling day-to-day operations and retail, leaving me with systems design and fine-tuning our grow. We're very fond of the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stoner.
  • 5 gallon Hempy Buckets
  • 3:1 perlite:vermiculite mix, partially reused
  • One nutrient mix (similar to Lucas formula)
  • One light type (1000W HPS in cheap hoods with 6" venting)
  • 1 55 gallon barrel for nute mix, refilled every other day, drain-to-waste
  • 1 pump, manually controlled, feeding plants through 1/8" dripper lines
  • Cheapest Air Conditioning (cold air in winter, 3 hotel-type PTAC units in the summer)
  • 9 plants in the 10x10 flower room, 12 plants in the 10 x 14 flower room
  • 2 month veg in 5 gallon buckets, plants start flower at 4-5 feet tall
We usually run 4-6 strains, giving our patients some variety. We hold onto strains for a year or more, discarding those the patients don't like, and those that are more difficult to produce with.

(sorry for the horrible photo quality. These are 29 days into flower)
Delurking to check the weather

Where do we go from here? Our hopeful next steps include:
  • More Light! Considering increasing from 6 to 8 lights in flower rooms. Rooms are 10x11 feet and 10x14 feet
  • More Uniformity! Growing different strains has made it difficult to create an even canopy
  • More Weight! If we do everything right we reach 8-10 ounces per plant.
  • Easier Trim! Harvest and trim takes at least a week now, with 1 or 2 guys trimming. We're working on making that easier with more pruning in veg and early flower, stripping out the popcorn.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
We recently had a break-in, thieves breaking in on the day before harvest

Sorry to hear that some low lives decided to attempt to steal from you guys.

Guess they didn't have the personal motivation/ desire to try their hand at growing themselves.

Then again, maybe they thought it was being grown illegally & Noone would call the cops on them.

Either way I'm glad to hear everything turned out well for you. And I hope your patients don't run out of their medicine due to it.

Maybe it's time to invest in window & door bars/guards for security?

Welcome to the farm.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
A break in the day before harvest ?
Thats an inside job imvho.

Trust no one.

Peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not necessarily. Olga, welcome to the farm. I'm sorry you got hit but I'm very happy you handled it the way you did and that your local po-po are so supportive. I, too, have been hit, and my local po-po were and have been very supportive. Then the local DA got a hold of the case and it's stopped dead in its tracks, I don't think a single person has been charged.

OlgaStruthio

OlgaStruthio

Hey, thanks to all for the warm welcome. Yes, I'm a lurker. Right after I posted this I took off for a foreign country, attending a conference of ... diverse people. I thought it might be handy to have a profile / photo posted in case I met somebody interesting. I did meet this guy from Lasqueti Island, BC, who did a lot of outdoor growing decades ago, but quit when the Vietnamese and indoor gardens took over the business. Sadly, he didn't have any magic remedies for spider mites, but did have some good stories about ruderalis breeding and a few outdoor Canadian strains such as Mighty Mite.

RE: 'Inside Job' --- I've sure wondered the same. I do have a partner, and friends who work as trimmers. Probably 10 people total aware of the grow and its location. More would be aware of the harvest cycle and timing, since demand exceeds supply for us. For my first several years growing I did 100% of everything myself. I got burned out on that fast -- small operations don't make huge money, and I also have a full-time job, other businesses, an exercise habit, and children.

In this case, though, we now know who the thieves were. They've all been caught, and charged with multiple felonies. I'm no fan of the police, but it does make a good story, and hopefully keeps the other knuckle-dragging, two-legged varmints at a safe distance.

I think partnerships can work, although it's not easy. This started as a 3-way partnership; I was the brains and money, and the other two guys would do the daily work and distribution. It took less than a year for that to fall apart -- we fired one partner, and the other sunk his life savings into building a residence on-site for 24/7 security. I think this current arrangement is relatively stable, since we both have money invested, and a stake in the success of the operation.

RE: Security --- Since that break-in we've taken a few steps:
  • Building Reinforcement. Block off windows, close off potential weak points
  • Security Cameras. Have you checked out recent security systems? Wow! A few hundred bought us a pile of high-definition cameras, covering every angle of the property. Accessible on the internet also (no incriminating indoor views there)
  • Fence. A 10' tall fence with razor wire on top seemed expensive and ostentatious, so we opted for a 6' welded-wire fence to hold in:
  • The Dog. A trained guard dog, we went all out on this. Talked to a few top guard dog trainers within a day's drive, and one guy had the right dog for our situation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom