Premium Member
Supporter
Denver's Platte River Valley a hub of medical-marijuana grow sites
By John Ingold
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/26/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 09/26/2011 11:27:22 AM MDT

:
About a year ago, Karen Cuthbertson, the head of the Athmar Park Neighborhood Association in Denver, began noticing discussions on the group's Facebook page about skunks infiltrating the neighborhood.

What are we to do, the Athmar Park residents asked, about the influx of stinky beasts?

Cuthbertson, though, suspected blame for the new smells might best be placed not on skunks but on something thriving in the industrial areas on the neighborhood's eastern boundary near the South Platte River: skunky marijuana.

"People think there is a skunk problem," she said. "I've said, 'Perhaps it's not skunks.' "

Such is life in Colorado's cannabis belt.

To the list of agricultural regions of Colorado that includes the San Luis Valley and the Grand Valley, add the South Platte Valley right through the heart of Denver.

Newly available data from the state show that a ribbon of land on either side of the river, starting just below West Evans Avenue and ending just above Interstate 70, is home to more than 250 large medical-marijuana cultivation sites, more than any other location in the state.

In a 1-mile radius around the intersection of Interstate 25 and West Sixth Avenue, there are about 120 "grows," according to an analysis of the data by The Denver Post.

There are 462 growing facilities in the city and county of Denver that have applied for a state license, according to the state's data. Statewide, there are 1,114 grows.

All the cultivation facilities must be linked to either a dispensary or a maker of marijuana-infused products, of which there are just more than 1,000 in the state, according to the latest numbers. Some businesses have multiple growing sites.

Addresses of the growing facilities were kept confidential until the legislature passed a law, which took effect this past summer, making them public. Still, the grows have largely remained incognito.

Most are tucked into nondescript warehouse spaces, surrounded by electrical-supply companies and businesses that sell countertop granite. None has a sign out front. And aside from the occasional skunklike scent of budding marijuana, it's hard to know they're there.

Cuthbertson said she hadn't heard any specific complaints about grows in Athmar Park, noting that, because the city requires them to be in more industrial areas, they are largely separate from the neighborhood's residential sections.

A Denver police spokesman declined to talk about whether the grows are trouble spots, worried in part that discussing their locations could make them targets for criminals.

"I have had no complaints in my district, and I have quite a few grow operations," said Denver City Council President Chris Nevitt, who represents a swath of southeast and southwest Denver. "Frankly, they have been a godsend. They are filling a lot of empty commercial space and warehouse space."

But not everybody is as thrilled with the grows.

Councilman Paul Lopez, who represents west Denver, said it is important to keep the grows contained to the industrial areas and not crowded in any one spot, so as not to prevent other development opportunities.

"We're keeping an eye on it," he said. "We're keeping watch so that it doesn't create an undue overproliferation in our neighborhood."

Councilwoman Judy Montero, who represents north and central Denver, went a step further, suggesting that the presence of grows in some areas might need to be re-evaluated as those areas look to redevelop.

"I don't see the uses of medical marijuana grow facilities being consistent with our land- use visions for the future of these communities," she wrote in a prepared statement.

Such a clash has already occurred in Montero's district, when developer Mickey Zeppelin complained about a large marijuana-growing warehouse off of Brighton Boulevard — across the river from one of his developments. The grow's operators responded by threatening a lawsuit against Zeppelin for allegedly making it difficult to sublet space in the warehouse to other growers because of the publicity.

It is unclear whether a suit was ever filed, and Scott Turner, the general manager of Grass Roots Health and Wellness Center, said he couldn't talk about the ongoing legal battle. But he said the grow hasn't generated any complaints from other neighbors.

"We're spending our money at the local businesses," Turner said. "We've made a lot of good friends in the neighborhood."

John Ingold: 303-954-1068 or [email protected]

altimood

altimood

Its true. I personally know a couple people getting busy in that area. And you can smell that skunky smell!

Oooooh that smell!

Can't you smell that smell?!?
The smell of buds around you.....

You know the song.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Definately true, I run around that exact area abit and can tell ya that would not believe how many grows there are, massive ones at that... I know of one block over there that is probably 90% grow warehouses from 40k to 120k worth of lights burnin at any given time.......(120) 1000watters kickin is no joke..

Tex

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Been having shooting skunks on farm lately.They allways spray when shot.
Cops would be dissapointed if they came and found Cm s 2 plants that did not get ripped back when and there would be nothing they could do.... lol.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
The thing I think is goin to be intersting as hell is when the state starts denying despensary applications, then the grow ops that accompany the despensaries won't be legal at all, only a bunch of dudes growing in a big ass illegal grow operations.

It won't be hard to round everyone up either, everybody in there has to fill out an application and get a state issued ID card, so they know exactly who to go and get and charge

Tex

C

canaguy27

I was down there last month right after a transformer blew up. It took down a couple of grows. Another place cant even run all their lights because they draw too much power.

What I have noticed is how poorly designed and laid out these operations are. One in particular was 74 ft by 25 feet. All the lights in a line were connected with one fan on the ends. Under the lights were hand watered soil buckets. The lights could not be moved up and down without manual adjusting thhe chains at the joist.

There are also some nice ones too.

putembk

putembk

I was down there last month right after a transformer blew up. It took down a couple of grows. Another place cant even run all their lights because they draw too much power.

What I have noticed is how poorly designed and laid out these operations are. One in particular was 74 ft by 25 feet. All the lights in a line were connected with one fan on the ends. Under the lights were hand watered soil buckets. The lights could not be moved up and down without manual adjusting thhe chains at the joist.

There are also some nice ones too.
I have been down for the summer and some of my patients have had to start going to the dispensaries for their meds and it's great to hear them bitch. I guess a small operation can produce as good as or better meds than the big guys. Or at least I have my patients fooled. ha ha

eyecandi

eyecandi

the desciption is kinda funny .... seems to describe my 'hood to a T ..... oh wait, it IS my 'hood ......

there is another article right after that one showing all the CO Disp's mapped out.

Texas .... the way it works (from what I've seen so far), is that the grow will contract with another Disp or get bought out as has been happening. so many illegal grows (as in, not permitted/licensed for the buildout, electrical and an actual Certificate of Occupancy - which is required for any business to operate) that are not going to be able to get into compliance, so a number of Disp's are buying up legit facilities. I have 1 of 12 Cert. of Occupancy licenses for my area ..... not sure what the other 100+ are doing .....

M

maestro

The thing I think is goin to be intersting as hell is when the state starts denying despensary applications, then the grow ops that accompany the despensaries won't be legal at all, only a bunch of dudes growing in a big ass illegal grow operations.

It won't be hard to round everyone up either, everybody in there has to fill out an application and get a state issued ID card, so they know exactly who to go and get and charge

Tex
:hi

Loud n clear bro.....ducks in a barrel....
on a positive with confidence I try anyways to farm a lil'bit of quality and my lil thing is about all I can n wanna handle nowadays....I've had many satelites before but big big indoor shows all at once are hard to dial in n having partners even harder/close to impossible without trouble.

Enjoy what you do n how ya do it n maybe what ya have from doing it but don't take my girl n try in pimp her out n get rich. Like any woman of worth never underestimate her potential for both kindness and malice or you'll end up flabergasted n hurt 99% of the time.

Church

peace

D

DoobyScoo

That's what I'm waiting for.
Shit's going to be juicier than Iraq #1!

"I had a six foot erection with a giant cheese burger on the end of it" Dennis Leary, 'No Cure for Cancer'.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
No more transfers or re-alighnments, only complete buyouts and those are subject to "new" application process guidelines from whay I am seein recently.

I kind of get the feeling that the whole despensary thing/industry is goin to go away sooner or later but on the decline for sure

Tex

S

SoCoMMJ

I have 1 of 12 Cert. of Occupancy licenses for my area ..... not sure what the other 100+ are doing .....

We'll have ours in a couple weeks. This old warehouse was quite a ways from code compliant. Was, anyways :) Doubling capacity at the same time to cover for the ones that don't get the CO and or City License. I have a feeling that a few more will bail out here in CoSprings on Sep 30 when the city apps come due.

Government is strangling the "free" market to death.

Melizzard

Melizzard

Oh look, my neighbors would rather get high with the me sharing meds my caregiver provides ANY day than the ones their daughter brings home from her dispensary! LOL They're spoiled rotten!

xxoo
Mel

I have been down for the summer and some of my patients have had to start going to the dispensaries for their meds and it's great to hear them bitch. I guess a small operation can produce as good as or better meds than the big guys. Or at least I have my patients fooled. ha ha

K

kolah

Tex

right on.

D

DoobyScoo

"Buh Bye" Nancy!

Don't let the door smack that ass on the way out!
That's my job! (sumthin to remember me by)

altimood

altimood

I just have to say this. If you 'd have told me five years ago I would be blowing it up in a large warehouse, I'd would have told you you're fucking crazy. But I have to say it's something not many people get to do in their lives, and I'm totally stoked to have had the opportunity to do it. Its been a hell of a learning experience and I'll never regret spending the time doing it no matter what happens here in ColoRADo in the months and years rolling up on us. Its been a fucking blast. No party lasts forever, though. At least the past years have let us all know that PEOPLE WANT THEIR HERB, MEDICINE, WEED, whatever you want to call it. Legal or not, we're going to have it, and its probably going to be high quality. At least mine is.:004: HASTA LA PASTA

P.S. Chickenman- Day 27 no booze and not divorced. Say word.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
P.S. Chickenman- Day 27 no booze and not divorced.

Way to go, keep up the good work. Ask yourself, Who needs booze when you got good mj, and hopefully a mending of your marriage is happening, things are and will get better, again one day at a time.
Thanks for sharing, .. CM

sky high

sky high

No shit. Ya don't need that nasty shit in your system.

I gave up drinking (OK, the wife gave me the ultimatum) in the mid 90's.

stick with it, altimood!

s h

Latest posts

Top Bottom