deny watering last week of flower

• Thread starter bigAl25
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bigAl25

Does anyone have opinions or experience with denying watering as you approach chop time. Will this enhance the buds at all, or will it harm the plant? Saw someone here state he was drying them out the last week(no watering) to improve the resin production. Is it good or is it bad? thanks for your input, I'm in week 9 with some strawberry bubba kush, AK48 and bubblegum, and still watering every 4 day.:volcano:

X

Xceptional

ive heard from some really good sources that this makes a noticeable difference. also i assume it would help the bud dry out since the plant will be so damn dry.

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
I have read a few articals that dought condition at the end of a plants life helps with resin production, When did my soil run I did not watter the plant the last couple days and waited for the soil to dry out before chopping,I would say a good flush then wait for the soil to dry..JACK

K

Kpezzy

I wonder if us rdwc guys could just drain our buckets a couple days before we chop? I think it would rot and stink like a mofo though

B

bigAl25

Thanks for the comments farmers. I have my three strains in organic soil and used fox farm nutes through veg and flower. The last 2 weeks I have watered with H2O only and a few times with H2o and molasses. I'm now in the middle of my 9th week. At the end I will take down my AKs and Bubblelicious. I will run my strawberry bubba kush to the end of 10 weeks. Will check trics, but I need to shut down the grow, as I promised to my wife, and start the dry and cure. I also want the damn electric bill to go down as the A/C season is approaching. Peace and Respect Mon!!!!

B

Bloodline

I don't see a difference but yes, almost a requirement to stop watering the last few days. I highly doubt(pun intended) that it increases resin production.

-Bloodline

7rayos

At the end of flowering i also like to restrict the water to the max, like you put half finger through and find it dry, then water a lot and wait again, but the last days no water at all, leaving the substrate light as feathers, then chop it. A good start for drying. Noticeably increasing the trichs production, i suppose because the plant needs to keep moisture somehow and she only knows the old increase resin trick at that point. I didn't do side to side experiments about this, just "polished" my ways and thus risen the average resin production, sorry no technical theories here, just graphic.

19abril 011
19abril 036
B

bigAl25

7rayos, Damn that water deprive, or the genetics made for one frosty girl. Great job.

7rayos

Thanx Big Al. Yeah, the bloody freebies you get here in the Bay resin so much that shadows our true skills as growers :thinking , dammit. This one's Redeye's Aliendog f2. Still convinced that carrying on with regular watering at the end doesn't pull that many trichs. :hi:

beezleb878

beezleb878

I am not sure what you are seeing is a result, partial result or whatnot from drying as a lot can happen in a week and the plant will use up its stored energy as i understand.

I believe at the very least drying it a week before is beneficial for drying but I am not convinced it does by itself promote trich production. I think what is seen is largely an illusion as the plant is still maturing with or without water.

S

strainman

Premium Member
Supporter
I also like to flush for around 2 weeks then starve for a couple of days till the soil dries out...
not sure if it helps or not but I'm sure happy with my overall results in the end!

P

pure arghan

try them in dark

Does anyone have opinions or experience with denying watering as you approach chop time. Will this enhance the buds at all, or will it harm the plant? Saw someone here state he was drying them out the last week(no watering) to improve the resin production. Is it good or is it bad? thanks for your input, I'm in week 9 with some strawberry bubba kush, AK48 and bubblegum, and still watering every 4 day.:volcano:

when my plants get near to chopping i give them just water for a week then i put them into darknes for at least 48hrs and only water them once when in darknes, 12/24hrs after there in darknes and then after they have been in darknes for 48hrs i put the lights on for at leats 1hr before chopping this helps to speed up the drying cos the buds open up a little and let the bud dry quicker, pepole till me that giving them 48hrs of dark is the same as 2 weeks normal groth(cant say that thats right) but would say that it is probly the same as one week or so?. it deafanetly dose put on alot of thc, thats one thing i know for sure, hope that helps?

B

bigAl25

WE now have a thread on denying water and 2 days of darkness before chop. I'm chomping at the bit to harvest, and I am losing my self control to wait. I'd like to hear more on this darkness period and if it improves the trics,resin and end result of the harvest.

LadyBuds

LadyBuds

The days of darkness essentially tells the plants winter is coming or that the plant is dying depending on the farmer you speak with, this in turn "causes the buds to become more potent and larger. I myself do not d this I feel it stresses the plants. Again everyone has different methods and what works for 1 might not work for the next. I also think the strain being grown also plays a role in how they react to this method I personally do not see the benefit.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I like to watch the progress of my trichomes. And once I see them reaching a certain point (2 weeks out) I will give them just molasses and water.

I pay attention to how long it takes my pots to completely dry out after being %100 saturated. For example last round it took 3 days each time.

Then I stop watering the last week 5 days before harvest 3 days of light helps dry the soil out. Then the last 2 days in the dark.

The drying process continues in the dark but slows down a lot since the plants slow down transpiration.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Couldn't help notice the big yellow nanners on 7rayos pic.

If I'm 3 days from chop, I let em ride it out. Any more, they get normal water. I'm a believer if autumning off, or letting the plant consume it's stored nutes the last 14 days. I only give ph water. Always superb results.

C

Chillihead

With chilli plants, starving/dehydration makes them think they are going to die so they put 100% in ripening the pods for new life (seeds). Although different plant and no seeds I guess the impact will be the same..?

LadyBuds

LadyBuds

That is it in theory yes. I have tried it both ways with same strains same grow environments and have seen minimal differences (depends on strains) I personally do not see the benefit. Again every grow and their setup is unique to them so I cannot speak for anyone but me. My strains always test in the upper 20's low 30's with thc without doing this so I don't see the need.

LadyBuds

LadyBuds

You are 100% right. Most of ours test between 19% to 24% but do have 2 strains that consistently test well above that, and they have been tested thru multiple testing facilities with the same results so I highly doubt its a bullshit result to boost an ego.

Top Bottom