Diapers & corncobs..watering solution for outdoor grow

• Thread starter fluffygrrrl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fluffygrrrl

fluffygrrrl

those drip bags are a great idea Jerry. I'm setting up a drip irrigation system this year found these drip circles.

cannabeans

cannabeans

Hugel beds 013
Hugel beds 012
Here are a few pictures of the beds I have been building. Unfortunately I did not take pictures before I put my soil in,(I have one 48 foot bed left to build,in this greenhouse so I will take pictures to show what the others look like) but there are cottonwood logs and cottonwood chips lining the bed about 12 to 15 inches deep, I then back filled in to level out with some river bottom silt I picked up from a local ranch. I then topped off the bed with my fluffy soil that I have been reusing for years. Unfortunatley no cannabis will be planted in these beds, Organic veggies only.

Hugel beds 015
cannabeans

cannabeans

New bed 009
New bed 010
New bed 012
Here are some pics of the new bed. Its just under 48 ft long.
All three beds have been built this way. A layer of fencing wire to keep out the gophers, then the cottonwood logs on top, backfill with river bottom silt( the pile down the center of the greenhouse) and then I will top the last 14 or so inches off with the used roots organic soil...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
WOW!! I LOVE IT! Sorry for the caps, but I love those beds and that level ground. You're the envy.

Blaze

Blaze

cannabeans

cannabeans

Well after three days of hard labor, Im done with the final bed for this year. I just barely had enough recycled soil to finish out the bed.
Some of the things I hope to achieve with the construction of beds like this are....
First, like the title said, the cottonwood logs will be acting as a sponge, sucking up and retaining the water so the plants can send their roots down and use what they need, thus ( hopefully) I will limit the watering schedule.
Second, as the logs start to break down ( just like compost) heat will be created, I will build smaller hoop houses over each of the bed trapping the heat, so I may get an earlier start in the spring and a later finish in the fall. I also hope to be able to grow lettuce throughout the winter months with this idea as well.
Finally, the logs will act as a "host" for fungus and microbiological activity, creating food for the soil, and as we know with organic production, when the soil is fed well, the your plants will be too.
I will only use compost teas with "OG BIOWAR" added to increase the activity and to help speed up the breakdown of the logs.
What I have done here is definitely not "hugelkulture", but my little spin on it. I hope to achieve the same results...only time will tell.
I will post more pictures throughout the summer!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I feel it qualifies as a hugelkultur bed. Either way, it's gonna rawk.

Top Bottom