Did I Just Blow It?

• Thread starter BDGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BDGrows

BDGrows

So I was trying to test out a power supply for my Artic Alpine 11 plus CPU cooler, and I am not sure if I blew out my fan or not... I used a wall wart (12V adjustable with 1300mA output) and hooked it up to the Black and yellow wires on the 4 pin adaptor. After plugging in the power supply, sadly I realized that the fan was not turning, and I think I might have smelled burnt solder. So did I blow it and fry my fan, or did i just make a mistake? Thanks again for the help!

-BD

BDGrows

BDGrows

If theres a red wire thats the + and the yellow is the speed control
I have : Black (ground I am assuming), Yellow (+ I am assuming), Green, and Blue. And after reading more, since they are DC fans, they should only pull the stated amount of amps right? So the amp's wouldn't of blown it out right?

BDGrows

BDGrows

Since they are arctics, you probably blew the zeneer.....the pwm yellow line will handle a 5v pulse but probably not 12.

I was under the impression that the yellow was a 12v and the blue and green regulated rmp's and something else? More or less the green and blue wires were useless and to just stick with black and yellow?

BDGrows

BDGrows

And after doing some more reading on those artic fans, apparently, if you reverse the polarity on them there isn't anything stopping them from blowing. So it appears i just blew out one of my fans...

oregonized

oregonized

And after doing some more reading on those artic fans, apparently, if you reverse the polarity on them there isn't anything stopping them from blowing. So it appears i just blew out one of my fans...
Hold up a sec....1st you really need to make sure about the wiring diagram.....I just took a look at mine and I have Yellow and Blue bundled Up and just have a Red / black set for the leads....my guess is that green is your neutral.
The way I take the wording on the blowing out is that it ISN
T possible to blow out by reversing it, which is typical of most fans....I mean at this point you might not have reversed the leads........because they haven`t been identified....

BDGrows

BDGrows

Hold up a sec....1st you really need to make sure about the wiring diagram.....I just took a look at mine and I have Yellow and Blue bundled Up and just have a Red / black set for the leads....my guess is that green is your neutral.
The way I take the wording on the blowing out is that it ISN
T possible to blow out by reversing it, which is typical of most fans....I mean at this point you might not have reversed the leads........because they haven`t been identified....
I've gone to their website and I couldn't find it. Any other ideas where I could look or know someone who has it by chance? Or would it just be easier to plug all 4 of them into a hub and then wire the hub to the wall wart?

- BD

oregonized

oregonized

I've gone to their website and I couldn't find it. Any other ideas where I could look or know someone who has it by chance? Or would it just be easier to plug all 4 of them into a hub and then wire the hub to the wall wart?

- BD

Yes, you are correct. Yellow black.

Black - Ground
Yellow - 12v
Green - Sense
Blue Control -

Time for new fan? sorry bud

oregonized

oregonized

- BD

When you say 12v adjustable is that the voltage or current [1300ma]? and if the voltage is adjustable is that above 12v or below or 5v and below.....

Just wire your fans in parallel if you want to make a
"hub" out of the wall wart.

Also I suggest to use some Wago 222-415 [x2] or a 221-415 [x2] perfect for wiring 4 fans in a parallel with a power source.....

sixstring

sixstring

alot of these smaller type fans are very low power like .25amp so if you used one of these and ran 1.3amp to it chances are its toasted.pics of the fans and power supply would help others to help you next time

oregonized

oregonized

alot of these smaller type fans are very low power like .25amp so if you used one of these and ran 1.3amp to it chances are its toasted.pics of the fans and power supply would help others to help you next time
Six, it is voltage that has to worried about with Fans, their motors demand a near constant voltage not current. It will only draw the amount of current it needs. Counterintuitive I know, but the opposite of how we usually regulate for LED power. This is why thermal run-away is a problem, hint hint RIU

@BDGrows
What may have happened is that wall warts are notoriously poorly regulated, in researching I found that they tend to supply more or less voltage when not at full load or within 80%.....so it could have sent a voltage spike to compensate for the 250mA load for instance....That could have happened.......

In the future Meanwell APV 12 - XX drivers are really good for running a couple of fans with nice clean power and regulation!

Top Bottom