Did I Screw Up My Pruning?

• Thread starter Feetwet
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Feetwet

Did i screw up my pruning

So these are outside plants. I grew these from seed and topped at the 4th node. After they recovered, I removed all the growing tips below the 4th node leaving only the tips at the 4th node to develop into main stems. I also removed the two lower fan leaf sets recently so it looks like there's only two nodes but there was more.

I see that this is what you do for Mainlining but I'm only going to try that with one plant.

I meant to copy what my buddy did last year because it worked well for him. What he did was leave the growth tips on the bottom nodes and then as those grew out he removed all growth on that branch except for the growing tip.

So my question is, what are my plants going to do? Do the bottom couple of nodes matter?

Myco

Myco

No, the bottom couple of nodes dont really matter... you'll grow new nodes... you can still manipulate the plant however you please.

Your two main shoots, you could top both of those, creating four main shoots. Then once those recover, you could do it again and have eight main shoots, etc - if you wanted to.

I think that answers your question.

F

Feetwet

No, the bottom couple of nodes dont really matter... you'll grow new nodes... you can still manipulate the plant however you please.

Your two main shoots, you could top both of those, creating four main shoots. Then once those recover, you could do it again and have eight main shoots, etc - if you wanted to.

I think that answers your question.

Thanks. I do plan on topping again, but what node do you think I should too again at? What will it look like if I top at the first new node vs the 4th new node? Does the end height matter as far as which node to top each time? I'm having trouble picturing how it will look once it gets big if I let them grow a lot between each topping or if I top them again as soon as they grow a new node until I have 8 main stems.

Myco

Myco

I usually top once at 4-5 nodes, then allow another 2ish nodes on the resulting two tops and that's it - and depending on strain growth structure, most strains will grow into nice bushes at that point on their own given enough veg time... And as the "bush" forms, sometimes top a branch here and there that takes off from the rest, or whatever - if that makes sense.

The shorter the space/less nodes between tops results in a tighter, more branchy structure and more main shoots. The more times you top, the more branchy/bushy the plant will get, of course.

It's kind of hard to explain, but once you do it a couple times it's a mindless, natural process of shaping your plants... you'll see. My advice is top those two new shoots after a couple nodes, sit back and watch how she grows for a bit. Not bushy enough for you, top every damn new branch coming up lol. For example, I only grow indoor and have height restraints... if I have a plant that has 4 or 5 main tops but it's getting too tall and I want a more squat bush - I'll lob off a good chunk of every leading branch, and essentially each branch doubles itself.

It's kinda strain dependent once they get going... topping less branchy strains more than vs. only topping a branchy strain a few times will give you a nice bush.

miko

miko

The master growers tell me not to take off as much. I tend to prune off too much and what I have been told is to leave more foliage and bud spots for more yeild and power to feed the growth... So now I tend to very lightly prune bottom growth for air flow...

Peace

F

Feetwet

T
I usually top once at 4-5 nodes, then allow another 2ish nodes on the resulting two tops and that's it - and depending on strain growth structure, most strains will grow into nice bushes at that point on their own given enough veg time... And as the "bush" forms, sometimes top a branch here and there that takes off from the rest, or whatever - if that makes sense.

The shorter the space/less nodes between tops results in a tighter, more branchy structure and more main shoots. The more times you top, the more branchy/bushy the plant will get, of course.

It's kind of hard to explain, but once you do it a couple times it's a mindless, natural process of shaping your plants... you'll see. My advice is top those two new shoots after a couple nodes, sit back and watch how she grows for a bit. Not bushy enough for you, top every damn new branch coming up lol. For example, I only grow indoor and have height restraints... if I have a plant that has 4 or 5 main tops but it's getting too tall and I want a more squat bush - I'll lob off a good chunk of every leading branch, and essentially each branch doubles itself.

It's kinda strain dependent once they get going... topping less branchy strains more than vs. only topping a branchy strain a few times will give you a nice bush.

Thank you. Since these are outdoor I think I'll let them grow more nodes before I top since they don't need to be bushy.

miko

miko

I would leave on more next time.. something I noticed this week was plants would use up enery from some extra leaves and since I hadn't pruned much, they used up 2 or 3 low leaves and I just easily pulled them off , and most fell off on their own..

Got me thinking that if they needed that buffer and we over pruned I bet plant health would suffer and maybe yield..

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I would let her grow unmolested from here.
Unrelated I would put her in a much bigger container.
She looks happy.
Best of luck.
Peace

Mr.X

Mr.X

Looks good buddy, train her and top/ prune her 1 or 2 times more and you shouldend up with at least 5 nice colas. As she grows you can remove the lower foliage and suckers. Leave the main budding sites.

Latest posts

Top Bottom