Did my plant die, can I bring it back?

• Thread starter jj71787
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jj71787

I went to work on Wednesday and the stem was perked up, I came home and the stem is on life support.
I watered it down because the stem still feels sturdy, but is she gone?
Not sure what's going on, this is the 2nd seed that popped and then died on me.

It's in foax farm soil, the soil was wet when I left but obviously dry when I returned home.

People are telling me to start indoors, but there's no sun indoors and I do not have a light. 1 person said to use a lamp until the leaves start to grow. I have 2 more Alaskan purple seeds and I don't want to waste them.
No photo description available.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The soil can't retain any moisture? If you dig a finger in an inch or two, is it dry down there? Do you live in an arid climate? How big is this pot and how hot does it get under direct sunlight?

People often overwater and murder seedlings. You could be frying them, I'm not sure.

J

jj71787

The soil can't retain any moisture? If you dig a finger in an inch or two, is it dry down there? Do you live in an arid climate? How big is this pot and how hot does it get under direct sunlight?

People often overwater and murder seedlings. You could be frying them, I'm not sure.
I'm in south FL so it is very hot and humid. I started off in a smaller pot. Would be wet by morning and dry by the afternoon after sitting in the sun. I watered as soon as I got home because it was very dry.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

put the pot in your yard were the afternoon sun doesnt hit directly on it, let it get about 4 hours direct a day, once it gets legs under it ,start easing it out of the shade ,act as if your hardening the plant off from being inside ,if you know what mean.
also at that young you dont need to water the whole pot but instead water it about 1 inch from the stem and start working you way out away from the stem ,this will prevent damp off and make the plant roots hunt the moisture, once you get some legs under her then water the whole pot and by that time you should have it under full sun light

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I'm in south FL so it is very hot and humid. I started off in a smaller pot. Would be wet by morning and dry by the afternoon after sitting in the sun. I watered as soon as I got home because it was very dry.
Put it in the shade for a few days.

BTW, when I lived in the Carolinas, that death-ray sun did wonders for the quality of the product. In S. Florida I can't even imagine.

J

jj71787

put the pot in your yard were the afternoon sun doesnt hit directly on it, let it get about 4 hours direct a day, once it gets legs under it ,start easing it out of the shade ,act as if your hardening the plant off from being inside ,if you know what mean.
also at that young you dont need to water the whole pot but instead water it about 1 inch from the stem and start working you way out away from the stem ,this will prevent damp off and make the plant roots hunt the moisture, once you get some legs under her then water the whole pot and by that time you should have it under full sun light
I'm gonna try to pop another seed tonight and will do this.
As for this plant, it's gone? or would shade bring it back?

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

There's a small chance it will pull through. Young seedlings are like human babies they require a lot of care and attention. Go spend $5 at the hardware store and buy a T5 lightbulb to start your seeds indoors under a humidity dome. Once they pop leaves remove the dome and then let them grow a bit before hardening them off outdoors.

/my opinion of course

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

shade will bring this plant back?
Not being there, I don't know if it's really dead. If it's not dead, it could come back.

Unless seeds are hard to come by, don't worry too much about this plant and start some more. This time, no direct sun until the seedling is established.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm gonna try to pop another seed tonight and will do this.
As for this plant, it's gone? or would shade bring it back?
i cant zoom in on your picture some face book crap shows up and i dont do face book ,but from what i see the plant is still green, if it is laying over,take a bread tie ,straighten it out and make a little hook ,stick it in the soil and lean the little baby up were the hook holds it up and drag pot over to a shaded spot that has the afternoon sun off of it

J

jj71787

i cant zoom in on your picture some face book crap shows up and i dont do face book ,but from what i see the plant is still green, if it is laying over,take a bread tie ,straighten it out and make a little hook ,stick it in the soil and lean the little baby up were the hook holds it up and drag pot over to a shaded spot that has the afternoon sun off of it
I'm afraid to touch the stem. I gave it a little touch and felt it was still strong and not brittle, but I don't want to crush it. I will definitely move it to shade.

2Bad

2Bad

When in drought seedlings will lay down. Once watered it should perk back up overnight possibly.
Are you watering properly?
Completely soaking the soil so when you lift the pot its heavy?
Then you know it's dry when you lift it up and it's light as air?

J

jj71787

When in drought seedlings will lay down. Once watered it should perk back up overnight possibly.
Are you watering properly?
Completely soaking the soil so when you lift the pot its heavy?
Then you know it's dry when you lift it up and it's light as air?
I was watering with a spray bottle. Someone suggested to use a syringe

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I was watering with a spray bottle. Someone suggested to use a syringe
I think we've found the problem.

1. Pick up the pot and feel the weight.
  2. Water with a watering can or some container with a spout. Wet the soil completely.
  3. Feel the weight of the pot again. Then don't water again until it starts feeling light.
  4. Put the spray bottle away until you need to spray for pests or foliar nutrient applications.

Greenyos

Greenyos

They don't need extreme amounts of light at this stage. Any household led lightbulb would work.
Being later in season and blazing hot weather, you would have a much better success rate if you let it grow a bit indoors.

Greenyos

Greenyos

Screenshot 20220616 163957 7782

Moshmen

Moshmen

Ur comin into the rainy hot season ! Gonna be tough outside this time of year , I have better luck from sept on . It can be done but it’s work imo - this week is terrible hot

Moshmen

Moshmen

+1

Stonerbudz

Stonerbudz

Definitely recommend to start them indoors if you could than bring them outdoors

Top Bottom