Diesels Dog House

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Fuck man it's not gonna stop me. I can tell you I cross my fingers every day. I live about 15 min from Multnomah Falls. We are just SURROUNDED by beauty..... and bugs.
Me neither! Them aphids about got the best of me, but I fought em and charged forward and beat those basterds and them there fuckin spider mites. You got some land over there on the east side? How’d the snow hit you? Pretty treacherous over there......ehh.

Axel Rose

Axel Rose

Me neither! Them aphids about got the best of me, but I fought em and charged forward and beat those basterds and them there fuckin spider mites. You got some land over there on the east side? How’d the snow hit you? Pretty treacherous over there......ehh.

Yeah it was pretty bad. I think it stuck around more over here than in the city. Its supposed to come back but I wouldn't care if it didnt hahaha. I dont have any land yet but its definitely part of my goal.

How about you? Did you get snowed in? I know it can get pretty nasty around there.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Yeah it was pretty bad. I think it stuck around more over here than in the city. Its supposed to come back but I wouldn't care if it didnt hahaha. I dont have any land yet but its definitely part of my goal.

How about you? Did you get snowed in? I know it can get pretty nasty around there.
I’m on the west side of Town we got nothing. It snowed a bit but never stuck. I was praying for no snow I didn’t want to work all weekend pushing snow driving a front loader.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Wow that looks good man. Congrats you'll for sure have some fire. You definitely caught it in time. A couple years ago I lost about half of my harvest to spider mites. Halfway through flower they attacked my Great White Shark strain. I had a serious argument with my business partner. It was his turn to run the grow. His beliefs were that in nature they usually stick to one plant. So if the plant were to be cut down they were just going to come back:mad:. Told him that's why it would be a chop and treatment to stop them from coming. Instead of cutting it down he decided to continue testing his philosophy. I lost my cherry pie, super lemon haze harvest which was exactly half of a 2000w harvest:cry:. He lost his dairy queen and of course the Great White Shark. His pheno hunt ended with the last 2 Dairy Queen plants somewhat cover in mites. Over a pound was cover in spidermite shit because he said they would just leave and look for a new home once the buds dried. Which they did but left behind their dead friends and all their shitpiles:puke2:. I took the best of the best put in in a tube and blasted it. As I was thinking how gross my new cross of bug shit guts BHO would taste I could only assume the guts and dead bodies clogged the screen. It blew bho and bugs into my eyes. This was in the portland nw area around 2013 mid spring. Bugs are nasty here around that time.

Those little bastards spread like the plague man. I get em every year on every plant. He was right about one thing though, when they're cut and hung they will crawl out of the buds and move up to the highest point.
20181019 110942
20181019 110815

The biggest problem I've found is when there are too many the mites and webs spread down into the flowers. This happened when I harvested my plants at different times but hung them in the same room. The mites moved from each drying plant to the next freshest until they were in huge masses on the last plant. Will hang fresh bamboo cuttings on the drying grids next year to attract them out of the girls. Will keep swapping out the bamboo with fresh shoots and burning the loaded ones until I've attracted them all out.
20181101 022448
20181101 022335

...then again, I had zero problems with residual mites my first year when I washed the freshly harvested branches in a dilute H2O2 bath, then rinsed. No living mites, no mite bodies, no mite crap. Any other contaminants were washed off too and the flowers tasted great. Will do that this year if I don't grow more than 9 plants. Any more than that and its too hard on me to do by myself, in my condition.

Maybe I'll use fresh bamboo and lean it on my plants right before harvest. That'll get a lot of those little pricks.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Lmao I was praying for it to stop. I'm a roofer and I've been working on the dry days only :speechless:. Let's trade for a bit!

Lol, me roofer to:)

Been there, done that. That was by far the most exhausting construction work I've ever done, even more than concrete. I was much happier as a house painter. Hard work, but not like roofing.

Mad respect, I tip my hat to you fellas.

Axel Rose

Axel Rose

Those little bastards spread like the plague man. I get em every year on every plant. He was right about one thing though, when they're cut and hung they will crawl out of the buds and move up to the highest point.
View attachment 857555 View attachment 857556
The biggest problem I've found is when there are too many the mites and webs spread down into the flowers. This happened when I harvested my plants at different times but hung them in the same room. The mites moved from each drying plant to the next freshest until they were in huge masses on the last plant. Will hang fresh bamboo cuttings on the drying grids next year to attract them out of the girls. Will keep swapping out the bamboo with fresh shoots and burning the loaded ones until I've attracted them all out.
View attachment 857557 View attachment 857558

...then again, I had zero problems with residual mites my first year when I washed the freshly harvested branches in a dilute H2O2 bath, then rinsed. No living mites, no mite bodies, no mite crap. Any other contaminants were washed off too and the flowers tasted great. Will do that this year if I don't grow more than 9 plants. Any more than that and its too hard on me to do by myself, in my condition.

Maybe I'll use fresh bamboo and lean it on my plants right before harvest. That'll get a lot of those little pricks.

I'm starting to get PTSD!!!:sweating: God those pictures are a nightmare. That is exactly how it went for me. They just keep moving on like you dont exist. I think he used tangle foot once we saw they were moving. It helped a bit to keep them contained from the veg tent. I was thinking of saving the buds for myself and doing just that but I just decided to get rid off most of it. I didnt want to hand out something I was hardly willing to smoke. I know some growers in other countries do this religiously, all of the ones I've seen grow outdoors.
Been there, done that. That was by far the most exhausting construction work I've ever done, even more than concrete. I was much happier as a house painter. Hard work, but not like roofing.

Mad respect, I tip my hat to you fellas.

I hear there is to types a roofers. There is the one who is stuck roofing because they are either bad with money or the ones who are stuck roofing because they are addicted to the money you can make. I fall in the latter but my body is starting to tell me it's about time to move on.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Has anyone tried spinosad as a systemic soil drench for spider mites? I have heard through the grapevine that 2 drenches 10 days apart combined with foliar applications can really mess up spider mites. But it's best done before flower, so rigorous Inspection of vegging plants for early signs of mite damage is a must. It can be done up to week 2 flower if necessary though.

As for root aphids and regular aphids like Diesel had/has(?), as well as FGs, Imid is the only real nuke I know of that will actually get rid of them. And even then you might not, They could develop resistance if the concentration or application of pesticides isnt correct.. I've had to deal with RAs and I'm always paranoid about it now.. I hate using strong pesticides but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm starting to get PTSD!!!:sweating: God those pictures are a nightmare. That is exactly how it went for me. They just keep moving on like you dont exist. I think he used tangle foot once we saw they were moving. It helped a bit to keep them contained from the veg tent. I was thinking of saving the buds for myself and doing just that but I just decided to get rid off most of it. I didnt want to hand out something I was hardly willing to smoke. I know some growers in other countries do this religiously, all of the ones I've seen grow outdoors.

I hear there is to types a roofers. There is the one who is stuck roofing because they are either bad with money or the ones who are stuck roofing because they are addicted to the money you can make. I fall in the latter but my body is starting to tell me it's about time to move on.

I throw away any heavily infested branches at the end but the spider mites are just part of growing outdoors. Along with broad mites, caterpillars, leaf hoppers, catydids, ants, aphids, thrips, ladybugs, flies, mantids, gnats, lacewings, stink bugs, weevils, etc...

...and that's just bugs. There's also, birds, mold, fungus, and any other things flying around that will stick to resin. Also, every creature that comes into contact with it, both pest and beneficial, takes a crap on it.

To me, throwing out my own good herb over bug bodies (if they're not in excess) would be obsessive and nonsensical. Believe me, I know. I'm so OCD that it causes me panic attacks. But the thing is, it's your weed and you have a right to do whatever you want with it, and my opinion is for my own stash. Now, if someone were to tell me it's wrong for me to trade or give mine away for those reasons, I would promptly, directly, and with great zeal, tell them, "Go suck on a rock." Hehehe.

I used to be paranoid about food cleanliness until my teens, when I worked in fruit packing sheds and restaurants. When you know all the things that can contaminate produce, meats, etc, you have to decide to either turn that thought off, or starve.

People where I live accept that weed from around here is, more often than not, grown outdoors. That means it's covered in outdoor *stuff*. Then again, we are a very hippy-ish bunch and wouldn't care much if our zucchini were laced with cholera as long as they were grown organic. Of course many members of this community also walk around in the winter with no shoes on. So their opinions might be a bit...

...iffy.

Hahaha.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I throw away any heavily infested branches at the end but the spider mites are just part of growing outdoors. Along with broad mites, caterpillars, leaf hoppers, catydids, ants, aphids, thrips, ladybugs, flies, mantids, gnats, lacewings, stink bugs, weevils, etc...

...and that's just bugs. There's also, birds, mold, fungus, and any other things flying around that will stick to resin. Also, every creature that comes into contact with it, both pest and beneficial, takes a crap on it.

To me, throwing out my own good herb over bug bodies (if they're not in excess) would be obsessive and nonsensical. Believe me, I know. I'm so OCD that it causes me panic attacks. But the thing is, it's your weed and you have a right to do whatever you want with it, and my opinion is for my own stash. Now, if someone were to tell me it's wrong for me to trade or give mine away for those reasons, I would promptly, directly, and with great zeal, tell them, "Go suck on a rock." Hehehe.

I used to be paranoid about food cleanliness until my teens, when I worked in fruit packing sheds and restaurants. When you know all the things that can contaminate produce, meats, etc, you have to decide to either turn that thought off, or starve.

People where I live accept that weed from around here is, more often than not, grown outdoors. That means it's covered in outdoor *stuff*. Then again, we are a very hippy-ish bunch and many wouldn't care much if our zucchini were laced with cholera as long as they were grown organic. Of course many members of this community also walk around in the winter with no shoes on. So their opinions might be a bit...

...iffy.

Hahaha.
Hit them plants with compressed air after harvest you’ll send them bugs sailing.
You can also use that there habenaro spray up to the day of harvest. Make 5 gallons you can dip the plant in it to and do not have to worry about any nasty chemicals poisoning your cropsz

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Has anyone tried spinosad as a systemic soil drench for spider mites? I have heard through the grapevine that 2 drenches 10 days apart combined with foliar applications can really mess up spider mites. But it's best done before flower, so rigorous Inspection of vegging plants for early signs of mite damage is a must. It can be done up to week 2 flower if necessary though.

As for root aphids and regular aphids like Diesel had/has(?), as well as FGs, Imid is the only real nuke I know of that will actually get rid of them. And even then you might not, They could develop resistance if the concentration or application of pesticides isnt correct.. I've had to deal with RAs and I'm always paranoid about it now.. I hate using strong pesticides but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Spinosad does not work on Spider Mites. Technically, with the right surfactant, it will kill a single stage of their growth, but there are far more capable pesticides.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Hit them plants with compressed air after harvest you’ll send them bugs sailing.
You can also use that there habenaro spray up to the day of harvest. Make 5 gallons you can dip the plant in it to and do not have to worry about any nasty chemicals poisoning your cropsz

I still need to try that.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Spinosad does not work on Spider Mites. Technically, with the right surfactant, it will kill a single stage of their growth, but there are far more capable pesticides.

This was my understanding until recently. It doesnt have much if any systemic properties as a foliar application but I have heard anecdotal testimony of its successful use as a drench. Again, I have no first hand proof, just anecdotal which is why I asked if anyone else has tried it as a drench, not as a foliar. Spider mites are listed as a target insect for spinosad, Its just a matter of getting the mode of injestion right I think.

But I agree there are much more effective miticides out there. But they're also usually pretty toxic. Avid comes to mind.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
This was my understanding until recently. It doesnt have much if any systemic properties as a foliar application but I have heard anecdotal testimony of its successful use as a drench. Again, I have no first hand proof, just anecdotal which is why I asked if anyone else has tried it as a drench, not as a foliar. Spider mites are listed as a target insect for spinosad, Its just a matter of getting the mode of injestion right I think.

But I agree there are much more effective miticides out there. But they're also usually pretty toxic. Avid comes to mind.
Green cleaner is a good non toxic means of treating spider mites if I remember correctly the main ingredient is alcohol and can be sprayed up to the day of harvest.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I've seen no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, showing spinosad to be useful in any fashion for controlling spider mites. I say this still considering scientific evidence of it's ability to kill a nymph stage. I've used spinosad regularly for control of thrips and caterpillars and I spray my plants so thoroughly that it can't help but be a soil drench as well. It has had absolutely zero effect on populations. Even "if" it were to kill 75% of the mites it would only slow the infestation a few days where I live. We have persistent spider mite migrations throughout the growing season with constant reinfestation whenever the wind blows. They're also reintroduced by birds and mammals. To control them requires a method that can kill nearly 100% and deter for a period afterward.

Potassium salts, spinosad, and Nukem do not work to control spider mites. Nukem is an expensive joke and kills nothing but the plants.

Azamax, Triazicide, and pyrethrins work on spider mites. I'm not saying to use any of these, just that I've used them and they worked. Azamax killed around 90%-97%. Triazicide and pyrethrins, total devastation to every pest on my plants. Triazicide killed broad mites too.

This is my experience with these pesticides. Others may have had success or failure where I did not.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've seen no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, showing spinosad to be useful in any fashion for controlling spider mites. I say this still considering scientific evidence of it's ability to kill a nymph stage. I've used spinosad regularly for control of thrips and caterpillars and I spray my plants so thoroughly that it can't help but be a soil drench as well. It has had absolutely zero effect on populations. Even "if" it were to kill 75% of the mites it would only slow the infestation a few days where I live. We have persistent spider mite migrations throughout the growing season with constant reinfestation whenever the wind blows. They're also reintroduced by birds and mammals. To control them requires a method that can kill nearly 100% and deter for a period afterward.

Potassium salts, spinosad, and Nukem do not work to control spider mites. Nukem is an expensive joke and kills nothing but the plants.

Azamax, Triazicide, and pyrethrins work on spider mites. I'm not saying to use any of these, just that I've used them and they worked. Azamax killed around 90%-97%. Triazicide and pyrethrins, total devastation to every pest on my plants. Triazicide killed broad mites too.

This is my experience with these pesticides. Others may have had success or failure where I did not.

All I'm saying is science changes. Sometimes we think we know something and then we learn something new... Had you asked me a week ago I probably would have given the same answer you did. I've also used spinosad quite a bit and didnt think it's much of a miticide, but I've recently heard otherwise if used as a Drench. Not drippings off the leaves, that wont give you the concentration required in the plant tissue, an actual full on soak.

There is some limited academic research to back up this theory which I'll link below, I'm not completely talking out of my arse here. Although it seems like good control is only seen in hydroponic mediums. I think the CEC of soils probablly binds the spinosin preventing it from being taken up by the plant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16180075/

Top Bottom