• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Thank You.
Dad was actually the one doing the "bug eating".... FAC USAF . He passed 5 years ago. Agent Orange finally finished him off.

I was lucky enough to get to go see the show with one of his friends. I joined the Corps in 75' a week after the shooting stopped.... it didn't help... lol
When I was growing up mom left dad.
Mom had a thing for marines. Visited her in the summers, 29 palms, Camp Pendleton and some other bases. My uncle was a carrier marine corps took his knees and back had to retire. Was always wanting to join growing up. Recruiter got me dialed in past the asvab and all that shit.
This was just before the first gulf war. Went in to my recruiters office pen in hand to sign my life over to the corps. After all the shit I went through recruiter asks me where I graduated high school. I said “what do you mean? I dropped out in the 9th grade”.
Well that fuck Clinton or bush,(can’t remember witch). made a rule like a month before all new recruits have to have a diploma or ged. Told me to go get one.
I said fuck it and left.
I was so pissed!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Mom had a thing for marines. Visited her in the summers, 29 palms, Camp Pendleton and some other bases. My uncle was a carrier marine corps took his knees and back had to retire. Was always wanting to join growing up. Recruiter got me dialed in past the asvab and all that shit.
This was just before the first gulf war. Went in to my recruiters office pen in hand to sign my life over to the corps. After all the shit I went through recruiter asks me where I graduated high school. I said “what do you mean? I dropped out in the 9th grade”.
Well that fuck Clinton or bush,(can’t remember witch). made a rule like a month before all new recruits have to have a diploma or ged. Told me to go get one.
I said fuck it and left.
I was so pissed!

That truly sucks!! Those who want to serve; should be given the opportunity to qualify. Most will not make it for one reason or another and that is OK; the service is not for everyone; and everyone is not for the service.

I wish i could say i always wanted to be a Marine but that would be a lie.

I originally enlisted in Navy Nuke Sub program. Passed all the qual. shit; even signed pre-enlistment papers. The day i went down to do final paperwork some sharp eyed recruiter asked how tall i was. Answer 6 foot 3 inches at which point my recruiters head snapped around. At the time subs had a max height of 6'1-6'2. Like you i was pissed and stormed out of the office and ran smack into the Marine recruiter coming in the door. He asked what my second job choice was, aircraft electronics and computer (almost non existent)... Welcome to the Corps. 😁 and I loved it... Hell there was nothing they could do to me that pops had not already done, having spent 20 years in USAF and an E-8 by that time including training boots. I am the oldest of four.

The Corps has always been with me and a part of me since, even though I only did two years (took all of the training and bailed). Figured pops spent 30 years in, so that I and my siblings did not have too.

Thanks Pop!!

Thanks to all of you who have served or supported someone who did. They could not do it without the folks back home.

p.s. 6 months later the newest LA class of Nuke sub was so large they completely removed the height restriction (or at least high enough for me). 3 months after i finished boot camp 😏.. Shit Happens!!.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Dogs in the house:)
7AE6A4AF E357 47B6 A9E5 3A734E2AB0F0
57B2E182 8860 4021 B2D3 60B6DE1FB3E4
F3906F77 4955 4FDD 99B8 6AFE952B9B62

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

I said fuck it and left.
I was so pissed!
The Diploma/GED requirement went into effect back in the early to mid 70's when the U.S. went to an all volunteer military. I think it's still possible to join the Marines without either, but you'd be a Tier 3 recruit, odds would not be good for acceptance. Back about 20-ish years ago, the military was getting so many recruits they stopped accepting even GED applicants, they prefer recruits who finished high school, reasoning they were more disciplined and better suited to military life. Probably around the time frame you were talking. Just bad timing. There's a very high % of Marines who are required to have an actual diploma, and a really low percentage who are accepted without one.

That's from my son, who is active duty USMC

Top Bottom