Difference Between M1000 And Ms1000 Metal Halide Bulbs?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I think I might already know the answer to this question, but I can't find any descriptions or specs anywhere that explains the difference between M1000 and MS1000 MH 1000 watt bulbs. The terms seem to be used interchangeably, and from info I found somewhere 30+ years ago, the difference seems to be a difference of spectrum, with MS1000 (MultiSpectrum 1000?) having more reds than the regular M1000 bulbs.
Any techs out there?

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Ms will have more blue light, which works great for indica but not so much for sativa due to the stretch it creates. Great bulb if u can get ya paws on em

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Ms will have more blue light, which works great for indica but not so much for sativa due to the stretch it creates. Great bulb if u can get ya paws on em
I was always under the impression that the MS contained more red than a normal M1000. They are pretty easily found, and the price is 1/3 of what I used to pay in the mid 80s. The arc tube has an unusual shape for a MH, but maybe that is how they coax the extra bandwidth or something. I used one the last cycle for flowering along with a HPS, and the results were good, especially the Sativas, but they are almost always my biggest yielders due to their tall frame...but you can't grow it well in a tent. With 7 ft ceilings it is still tricky. Thank you for the input
*** UPDATE *****
I spent some time looking at ANY information I could find online regarding the spectrum, color, dimensions...all of the tech info. The only differences that I could find was:
The MS1000 had a few more lumens, an average of about 2000
MS had a very slightly longer discharge tube
MS was base down only
M1000 was universal burn' So...according to the specs, there isn't much difference, although the specs didn't include the base up version of the ms1000. For some reason, and I know that there are spectrum differences, information on the differences between these two bulbs are like hen's teeth. I might have to contact Sylvania directly at this point!

Top Bottom