Difference Between Veg Bulbs?

• Thread starter Gamechanga12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gamechanga12

What is the difference between the Hortilux 1000w mh and the Hortilux 1000w BLUE mh bulb? The BLUE bulb is double the price. I use these bulbs for veg does it make sense for me to go with the more expensive bulb?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
What is the difference between the Hortilux 1000w mh and the Hortilux 1000w BLUE mh bulb? The BLUE bulb is double the price. I use these bulbs for veg does it make sense for me to go with the more expensive bulb?

The difference in spectrum is what your paying for

Let's compare straight from their website.

Hortilux standard metal halide.
Mh

Hortilux blue metal halide.
Blue

As you can see you get what you pay for.
There is a reason hortilux is the best.

I personally run the blue metal halide.
The plants and I love it.

Last edited:
G

Gamechanga12

The difference in spectrum is what your paying for

Let's compare straight from their website.

Hortilux standard metal halide.
View attachment 622725

View attachment 622726

As you can see you get what you pay for.
There is a reason hortilux is the best.

I personally run the blue metal halide.
The plants and I love it.

Have you ever ran these bulbs in flower next to your HPS bulbs? Like mixed a few blue bulbs in a room full of hps?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Have you ever ran these bulbs in flower next to your HPS bulbs? Like mixed a few blue bulbs in a room full of hps?

In my 2x2 tent I can only run one 400 watt light. If I had 2 my heat would be oughta control.

I'm thinking this round I may run my blue mh all through flower to reduce air conditioning costs.

ken dog

ken dog

In my 2x2 tent I can only run one 400 watt light. If I had 2 my heat would be oughta control.

I'm thinking this round I may run my blue mh all through flower to reduce air conditioning costs.
If you do, it would be nice to know if the onset of flower takes longer.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
If you do, it would be nice to know if the onset of flower takes longer.

I can report back here later on in the grow. I am at 8 days since stretch initiated from 14/10 lighting. 6 days since 12/12 flip.

But if you wanna take a ride with me my grow Journal is in my signature.
I update daily with lots of pics & relevant info. Along with some not so relevant info lol.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've read mh bulbs used thru the entire flower run, yeilded very low, wispy buds vs hps bulbs.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I've read mh bulbs used thru the entire flower run, yeilded very low, wispy buds vs hps bulbs.

Any first hand experience?

Because that is one of the reasons I would do it. I'm not a fan of just believing what others tell me. Everyone else can be if they like though.

I have seen no detailed journals that gave me any information to help me make a reliable conclusion.

So far I've
Used diminishing light schedule.
Dark time before harvest.
Mh first 2 weeks to reduce stretch.
Mh last 2 weeks to promote resin production &flavor.
I found 14hrs of light initiates flowering.
I found veg can be sustained at 15hrs of light.
I've found I can keep my mh/hps within 3-4 inches without burning my plants.
Aspirin can be used in your nutrient feed to promote a healthy plant.
Found out I don't need to ever ph my nutes the aeration and soil microbes do that for me.

And as time goes on I will do my own experiments as to see what I like and want to implement into all future grows.

But I need to see the good or bad with my own eyes to come to a conclusion.

Last edited:
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Sorry, I don't take unneeded risks when it comes to growing. I have 5 patients that depend on the meds I grow for a better quality of life. If I F up a grow, my patients don't have meds, it's not a risk worth taking imo.

Do a search for.it, many have tried and went back to hps. Some run hps/Mh mixed bulbs.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Sorry, I don't take unneeded risks when it comes to growing. I have 5 patients that depend on the meds I grow for a better quality of life. If I F up a grow, my patients don't have meds, it's not a risk worth taking imo.

Do a search for.it, many have tried and went back to hps. Some run hps/Mh mixed bulbs.

No need for apologies you have nothing needing to be forgiven for.

I've been searching for weeks and have no solid conclusions to draw.
I'm not saying it's good or bad. Just that I need to see for myself.

Because after all discovery is not an unnecessary risk. It is a part of enlightenment. Which is as Merriam Webster puts it.
the state of having knowledge or understanding : the act of giving someone knowledge or understanding.

I understand you have patients which rely on you which is a great reason not to deviate from what works for you.

But I supply myself only and if I go months without it is perfectly fine with me. Especially if I gain knowledge and experience from which I can draw from at a later time.

Last edited:
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I'll see if I can find the threads or posts. It's either on here, RIU, or IC. Only 3 forums I post on. MH will give you more frost, bust sacrifice in yeild, bag appeal, and density vs hps. You can toss in a conversion hps bulb, it has a bit more blue to the spectrum vs standard hps.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I'll see if I can find the threads or posts. It's either on here, RIU, or IC. Only 3 forums I post on. MH will give you more frost, bust sacrifice in yeild, bag appeal, and density vs hps. You can toss in a conversion hps bulb, it has a bit more blue to the spectrum vs standard hps.

That would help me a bit I'd appreciate that.

When comparing spectrum of the Hortilux blue mh I have to the dual arc I wasn't impressed.

Blue

Hortilux dual arc
Sblue

GLGC.MI

GLGC.MI

For what it's worth I veg under LED (not shitty China version) then use hps for flower, but I just got a 1000w MH blue bulb and I'm probably gonna incorporate it into my veg (and buy more hps for flower) I'll let you know how it goes

N

Nog

I have used a MH and a HPS side by side for flower and there was no difference in the yield between the one's under the MH and the one's under the HPS.

The MH I used for flower was a WARM MH, which means it has more light in the red spectrum like a hps.

I like to keep a blue MH for veg, and then put the warm MH bulb in for flower.

And yes, the Blue MH is way better than the HPS for veg; the one's under the Blue MH are praying, reaching for the light, while the one's under the HPS are just sitting there.

I actually think the MH puts out more light than the HPS; or maybe it's just the blue/white light looks brighter than the orange HPS light.

I personally think HPS has too much red spectrum; the need to put more blue light in there.

Top Bottom