Difference in eye hortilux bulbs

• Thread starter reloader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
reloader

reloader

I got a killer deal on some new 600 hps eye hortilux bulbs. They are the boxes on the left. The boxes on the right are the ones I have been buying. I picked these up new (6 of them) for $20 a piece so I couldn't pass it up. I thought the older models were known to have some problems with digi ballast. Obviously I'm going to use them. I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with these different boxes. The older bulbs have a wire inside that runs the length of the bulb.
Difference in eye hortilux bulbs

socalpunx

socalpunx

the pink boxes are the new bulbs the white ones are the old stock they dont make anymore.the pink boxes are new and improved but thats what the rep told me

reloader

reloader

Well I just replaced one of my bulbs with one of these (new) old style eye hortilux 600's in a digi ballast. I watched as I reconnected the pwr to the light and it came on. Then I thought it went out, it looked like it did for about 3 seconds, & I was going to unplug ballast, when I noticed it came on, that was several hours ago, and it looks bright as hell and seems to be working fine(looks just as bright as my other eye hortilux's that are on), but I am going to watch this light on next cycle to make sure it fires up properly. If these bulbs work good they were a steal at $20 apiece, since I got 6 of them.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

If using on certain digi ballasts they will get black spots on them along that wire. Check out a thread i have about bulbs blackened. The new ones in the pink boxes haven't shown any signs of the black marks yet.

reloader

reloader

If using on certain digi ballasts they will get black spots on them along that wire. Check out a thread i have about bulbs blackened. The new ones in the pink boxes haven't shown any signs of the black marks yet.

I read that thread Soda, thanks. I am using Digital Greenhouse (non-dimmable)ballast, that I bought brand new about 3 years ago. They have been on a constant 12/12 ever since without even a hiccup. Anyway so far so good with this bulb, it just looked like it went out for a few seconds when it tried to first fire. It ran the whole cycle fine, I just want to see if it fires ok again tonight. These are in a glass hood with 8' ducting, so I have a lot of air moving over the bulb. Like I said I got these bulbs for $20 apiece, so I am pretty pleased so far.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I read that thread Soda, thanks. I am using Digital Greenhouse (non-dimmable)ballast, that I bought brand new about 3 years ago. They have been on a constant 12/12 ever since without even a hiccup. Anyway so far so good with this bulb, it just looked like it went out for a few seconds when it tried to first fire. It ran the whole cycle fine, I just want to see if it fires ok again tonight. These are in a glass hood with 8' ducting, so I have a lot of air moving over the bulb. Like I said I got these bulbs for $20 apiece, so I am pretty pleased so far.

for 20 bucks you cant get a better bulb!!! i pay'd 170 i think per 600 when mine burnt it hurt the pocket alot more than 20 bucks.

reloader

reloader

for 20 bucks you cant go wrong!

yea, gotta love craigslist. I went to look at some grow equipment, actually used 8 Hydrofarm fans and then he had all these bulbs. Got the fans for $50 apiece, but that's how you have to buy this shit.

sixstring

sixstring

they say the old ones are no good for digi ballasts but I ran an old eye for well over a year before it went down.ran it on a nextgen ballast.nice grab on those reloader,peace

reloader

reloader

they say the old ones are no good for digi ballasts but I ran an old eye for well over a year before it went down.ran it on a nextgen ballast.nice grab on those reloader,peace
Yea, I think I'm good on these, it has been 4 or 5 days since I started one, & it is working fine.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Yea, I think I'm good on these, it has been 4 or 5 days since I started one, & it is working fine.

Sixstring is on point here. You might get a week, a month or a year out of it, but they were designed for magnetic ballasts running 60Hz, not digis at 100kHz. Newer bulbs are designed to deal with harmonic resonance issues from these higher frequencies, the old ones aren't.

Trend

Trend

They all turn black and they all break. I found zero difference on the "new" bulbs. 1000w at least. All I can speak of. Most last less then 9 months.

reloader

reloader

They all turn black and they all break. I found zero difference on the "new" bulbs. 1000w at least. All I can speak of. Most last less then 9 months.
Dude, chill a guy on here just said it last him a year. I'm at a week no black marks. I have been running the new ones for 2 years & never had a black mark or failure ( I replace my bulbs every 6 months). So if these last six months for me, I'm stoked. I'll let you guys know.

Trend

Trend

Dude, chill a guy on here just said it last him a year. I'm at a week no black marks. I have been running the new ones for 2 years & never had a black mark or failure ( I replace my bulbs every 6 months). So if these last six months for me, I'm stoked. I'll let you guys know.

Chill? About what? The black spots come on every bulb eventually. Not gonna happen in a week lol. Youve been running new ones for 2 years but never had one go out because you change them every 6 months. All I'm saying is the new ones are no better. They all go out eventually. They all turn black. But I still have some from 09' black as hell and doing 2.5 a light no problem. So no need to toss em in 6 months just wait til they blow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom