Different lights for different stages

• Thread starter JJJones215
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JJJones215

JJJones215

Hey guys so a family member is starting his own garden and is wondering if he should use T5 lights for veg and hps for flower or if he can use Hps for both... I use a t5 for my veg but he’s doing it on a bigger scale. What type of lights and at what wattage are you guys using for veg compared to flower??

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I still use t-5 HO 6500k GE flourescents for veg. and 600 HPS and in winter add a 315 LEC for flower. They run perpetually in seperate rooms.

Hps will grow veg faster but also stretchier. The higher temp color 6500k grows nice leafy stout veg.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

maybe got those electronic ballast? - switchable between HPS/MH.

probably go T5 for seedlings/juveniles/vegetative, and use HPS solely for flower on its 12/12 light cycle. something like MIMedGrower above!

wattage depends on canopy/grow-area-size.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Id use a switchable ballast and run MH for veg. T5HO for preveg. HPS for flower.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I wanted to add that i really liked the 315 cmh for veg. The Hortilux blue mh was excellent too. But both grew leafier buds.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
As for wattage and intensity, It sort of depends on your goals. I like to hit them with as much intensity as they can handle in veg if I want them to get big fast, but Ill keep them under T5 if I want to keep them small for whatever reason. I usually start clones under T5's in tiny 2"x2" pots until they have a good set of roots and are actively growing, then after I transplant into bigger containers over the course of a week I'll go from 400wMH, to 1000w MH and then veg for a couple more weeks under that. Then flower with 1000w HPS.

The more quality light they get, the faster they grow. But again, only if they can handle it and the feeding is dialed in.

Top Bottom