Different metals in an extractor a problem

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

Hola,
I need an extractor and can not wait for the delivery time. So I am going to make my own. I like the ss units I have seen but I do not want to rely on sanitary clamps for my fill columns. A little to flimsy for me. I am planning on using a different type of connector made from brass. So besides being two different metals is there a problem I am not seeing. Suerte JK

why not use high pressure clamps? if you run your system cold, you won't see more than 5-10psi in the system.

depending on the size, I have a few in stock

J

Jalisco Kid

why not use high pressure clamps? if you run your system cold, you won't see more than 5-10psi in the system.

depending on the size, I have a few in stock
I am too far into this now. If you mean those tri clamps on the sanitary fitting that just will not work for me if I have something better. I feel others must have the same idea but I have not seen it. I know 2 metals will cause a problem but that is way down the line. I want to read a temp , multi pressure , and vac read outs,cyl heater, and a few other ideas.
A little overboard for my needs but in for a penny, in for a pound.... JK

LOL... not sure who you were going to order from originally, but looks like you talked to the wrong people.

dissimilar metals won't be an issue with stainless and brass. i think you are the first person to be worried about high pressure clamps failing.

good luck :)

J

Jalisco Kid

Not failing, it is the way I want to disconnect, that is my reason. JK

very good point. unless you are wanting to run a high pressure system, you will never see pressures that will be of issue. worst case, install a pressure release. what i would say to you is that if you are that concerned or would potentially experience pressures that might cause the high pressure clamps to fail, well, this isn't a system for you.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Even the light duty triclamp is not likely to fail at the pressures encountered in a Terpenator system, but may leak at higher pressure near the pivot pin. We've had no leaks up to 12" size, using the two bolt heavy duty triclamp.

Brass or bronze would work as long as the Ph differences were low, but I would still be careful what type of brass. Some brass has lead as the alloying agent.

What style of brass fitting are you using?

J

Jalisco Kid

I am thinking the Fill fitting on large fork lifts would work better at what I am going for. JK

Latest posts

Top Bottom