Different types of Seeds? Most stable?

• Thread starter Average_Joegrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Average_Joegrow

Average_Joegrow

Hello friends!! I’m sure this was asked before, and my apologies for repeating if so. I tried searching the topic, but couldn’t find anything conclusive on the matter. My question being in the different types of seeds available, which are the most stable? Most of what I’ve heard is “bro science”.🤦🏻‍♂️. I have heard that feminized seeds are prone to hermi, same with auto flowers. If you have say an auto flower, make it hermi, would those seeds be more
Likely to hermi, or would you just have feminized auto flower seeds? Thanks for any, and all replies!! ✌️😊

ninjadip

ninjadip

maybe i'm a moron, but i've never heard that feminized seeds are prone to hermi. I think it is more strain specific as far as the stability of it's genetics if that makes sense.

I have never had a hermie and have used reg and fem seeds. Besides the genetics, plant stress/hormones is the next leading cause that will cause plants to hermie, as far as I know.

If you're going to buy seeds i always buy fem seeds if available, imo.

Lockebox

Lockebox

Pretty sure herm pollen will produce fem herm offspring.
Still could be fire stuff so there's definitely nothing wrong with growing out the seeds and replenishing you own stock but for doing anything breedingwise that seedstock should be disregarded to "contain" and remove the recessive herm traits.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Pretty sure herm pollen will produce fem herm offspring.
Still could be fire stuff so there's definitely nothing wrong with growing out the seeds and replenishing you own stock but for doing anything breedingwise that seedstock should be disregarded to "contain" and remove the recessive herm traits.
but as far as fem vs reg being more prone to herm seeds, there isn't anything on that right?

GrimReffer

GrimReffer

Hello friends!! I’m sure this was asked before, and my apologies for repeating if so. I tried searching the topic, but couldn’t find anything conclusive on the matter. My question being in the different types of seeds available, which are the most stable? Most of what I’ve heard is “bro science”.🤦🏻‍♂️. I have heard that feminized seeds are prone to hermi, same with auto flowers. If you have say an auto flower, make it hermi, would those seeds be more
Likely to hermi, or would you just have feminized auto flower seeds? Thanks for any, and all replies!! ✌️😊
Buy from a good breeder and you should be ok. If tested properly by the breeder or the breeders testers than you should have a good idea of what your getting. Then you get in to F1 F2 F3 etc. which is basically the generation and level of stability that comes with them.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If a breeder tests his/her/they/their seeds, they're unlikely to pop male flowers.

Years ago, fem seeds seemed more prone to popping a few male flowers than regular seeds. I've had very good luck with fems in recent grows. Only one popped male flowers out of the last 18 or so fem plants I've grown.

Lockebox

Lockebox

but as far as fem vs reg being more prone to herm seeds, there isn't anything on that right?
Yeah I think that's mainly bro science. the tendency to Herm is a possibility for any cross, fem or reg. I know that from experience lol.

I personally think fem's got a bad rep from bad breeder practice

ninjadip

ninjadip

Yeah I think that's mainly bro science. the tendency to Herm is a possibility for any cross, fem or reg. I know that from experience lol.

I personally think fem's got a bad rep from bad breeder practice
Yes. Are you the guy that does some breeding on here?

Average_Joegrow

Average_Joegrow

Can someone please explain what it means when I see things like S1, r2,f1 etc, thanks!! ✌️😊 Pics for example.

53C17F64 6DB7 4117 B284 84695D5585EF
Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

If the mum has herm genes then the fem seeds will have a higher chance of herming. Its genetics. most people just put out new strains every year without testing them.

Lockebox

Lockebox

Can someone please explain what it means when I see things like S1, r2,f1 etc, thanks!! ✌️😊 Pics for example.
S is for selfing. Pollinating ones own female flowers with ones own fem pollen produced in the reversal process. S1 would be the first generation of seeds you get from that breeding run.

F is for familial line. An F1 is just the seeds produced from crossing strain a with strain b. Then picking through those offspring and breeding brother and sister together you get down to f2 and further every time you breed brother and sister within the family line leading to ibl or inbred line.

I'm actually curious about the r2 myself, I have some Grandpa stash r2 by ethos I was gifted recently. I think it's for reversal. So I'm thinking it's the same principle as a familial line but instead of using brother and sister you're dealing with fems and using sister and sister? Idk sounds good hahaha

E

Edinburg

You go by the what breeder is saying, an F1 plant would be much more un stable than an f5, but in the end it depends on how well the breeder did his crosses.

Madbud

Madbud

Late to the party but i’d like to know the difference between herm and banana. I’ve never seen a plant with both balls and flowers but i get bananas late in flower and those seeds seem to be all girls.

Top Bottom