Difficult Hybrid To Clone

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

Recently I started a new hybrid (last 2 grow cycles). I have plenty of seed (400+) in reserves so starting new plants is relatively easy but of course I get a scattering of phenos and it looks like there is just one I am really after. Each time I start 10-20 seedlings I see one or two of these monsters. To give you an idea this particular pheno produced about 6X what the others did under exactly the same conditions. The seeds came from self cross of Cheese Quake so I guess that would make this an F2 of Cheese Quake.....

Problem is this strain (or that particular pheno) is very, very hard to clone. I have in the past, used Clonex and other gels (stems would rot), tried aero cloners etc. (just grew slime no matter if I aerated or not and kept water cool) but always had the best luck with just straight rockwool cubes in a seedling/cloner tray with a dome. Now I cant get a clone to save my life or to restore my brused ego. The leaves after about 1.5 to 2 weeks shrivel, turn yellow and die just about the time I am getting roots.

Any ideas or suggested methods for cloning stubborn hybrids? I really want to sort my genetics and propagate this one big time but it isn't working at all right now. Once in a while I get a couple to root but they they act all stressed out and try to flower before they are in pots or hydro (have some outside plants I want to do in soil coming up). I normally do RDWC indoors and soil outside in the Summer.

Thanks in advance,

D

H

heisen

Rockwool is hard to clone in.cloning is all about humidity and warmth.cold dome and no humidity is not good.
I use root riot.cut clones dip in clone gel and push in the root riot.put them.in a sealed dome and check the root riots every 3 days to make sure there not dried out.keep them.moist but not soaked.
Also take clones in veg when there healthy.try to cut so you can get a node in the riot.i also shave the stem a little and seems to speed things up.
Always get roots in a week.

DGP

DGP

Rockwool is hard to clone in.cloning is all about humidity and warmth.cold dome and no humidity is not good.
I use root riot.cut clones dip in clone gel and push in the root riot.put them.in a sealed dome and check the root riots every 3 days to make sure there not dried out.keep them.moist but not soaked.
Also take clones in veg when there healthy.try to cut so you can get a node in the riot.i also shave the stem a little and seems to speed things up.
Always get roots in a week.

When I first started growing I used root riot plugs but I didn't know they made a rooting gel as well. I will give it a try.

Thanks!

D

H

heisen

When I first started growing I used root riot plugs but I didn't know they made a rooting gel as well. I will give it a try.

Thanks!

D
yeah using the cloning solution resulted in 50 percent success.If i dip the plugs in anything but water the stems will rot.I use water and the gel only and thats it.

chemistry

chemistry

Recently I started a new hybrid (last 2 grow cycles). I have plenty of seed (400+) in reserves so starting new plants is relatively easy but of course I get a scattering of phenos and it looks like there is just one I am really after. Each time I start 10-20 seedlings I see one or two of these monsters. To give you an idea this particular pheno produced about 6X what the others did under exactly the same conditions. The seeds came from self cross of Cheese Quake so I guess that would make this an F2 of Cheese Quake.....

Problem is this strain (or that particular pheno) is very, very hard to clone. I have in the past, used Clonex and other gels (stems would rot), tried aero cloners etc. (just grew slime no matter if I aerated or not and kept water cool) but always had the best luck with just straight rockwool cubes in a seedling/cloner tray with a dome. Now I cant get a clone to save my life or to restore my brused ego. The leaves after about 1.5 to 2 weeks shrivel, turn yellow and die just about the time I am getting roots.

Any ideas or suggested methods for cloning stubborn hybrids? I really want to sort my genetics and propagate this one big time but it isn't working at all right now. Once in a while I get a couple to root but they they act all stressed out and try to flower before they are in pots or hydro (have some outside plants I want to do in soil coming up). I normally do RDWC indoors and soil outside in the Summer.

Thanks in advance,

D

Keep them going when the leaves dry and rot, it's only the cutting sucking in nuits from the old leaves because it has no roots to feed it's self until the roots take over.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Keep them going when the leaves dry and rot, it's only the cutting sucking in nuits from the old leaves because it has no roots to feed it's self until the roots take over.
I built a DIY Aero cloner..terrible results..got root bumps but no roots (water temp was 76d F..Switched to a simple tray and humidity dome and Clonex + a powered cloning solution + rockwool cubes(double dipped) and 100% success..I change the water in the tray 1 time per week, and roots in 10 days..(Dyna Grow KLN rooting solution and silica help a bunch too. Wasted 2 months messing with the cloner:(
Luckily I didn't spend the $$ on a store bought cloner since I had the bucket, and PVC..only needed the pump and spray jets..

chemistry

chemistry

I built a DIY Aero cloner..terrible results..got root bumps but no roots (water temp was 76d F..Switched to a simple tray and humidity dome and Clonex + a powered cloning solution + rockwool cubes(double dipped) and 100% success..I change the water in the tray 1 time per week, and roots in 10 days..(Dyna Grow KLN rooting solution and silica help a bunch too. Wasted 2 months messing with the cloner:(
Luckily I didn't spend the $$ on a store bought cloner since I had the bucket, and PVC..only needed the pump and spray jets..

When your cuttings grow roots, take the dome off or you will suffer damping off.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

When your cuttings grow roots, take the dome off or you will suffer damping off.
Yeah..I did, but they simply did not actually grow roots..I take the dome off the propagator and all is well. Made no sense to me at all, but even if it takes a few xtra days..it is well worth it. Taking the dime off when roots pop will dry out the cubes faster and make roots search out the water.
6 days on a Crackleberry GPS cutting..never grew her before, so I took 6 cuts, looking for maybe 1 or 2..They all rooted. Now I have lots of females to try making Feminized pollen:)
IMG 0882

DGP

DGP

Yeah, I tried to wait it out but the clones didn't make it even though they popped roots. Also, some of them stressed out and tried to flower.

Going to try what Heisenbubble suggests. Years back I used to use rot riot and rapid rooter plugs with success but not on this hybrid.

D

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yeah, I tried to wait it out but the clones didn't make it even though they popped roots. Also, some of them stressed out and tried to flower.

Going to try what Heisenbubble suggests. Years back I used to use rot riot and rapid rooter plugs with success but not on this hybrid.

D
Have you tried double dipping (Gel and power)? I read that some strains like gel and some the powder. I have had 2 strains that I have had no luck cloning either..GDP is a snap as is Nitro lemon Haze (MSNL)..No luck with BC Early Blueberry or Gorilla Bomb. Royal Gorilla (RQS) is also very easy to clone.
GPS Crackleberry is also a snap to clone.
I am confused as to why to use something like Root Riots, since the cuttings have no way to uptake anything from the cube until roots appear..We are talking about a simple medium for the roots to easily grow into. I use some Canna Start as well as KLN, Silica etc when I see roots. All is fine here using Rockwool and adding nourishment as I mentioned above.

chemistry

chemistry

I see what your doing wrong now, are you pushing your cuttings all the way through the rock wool? Only put the cutting half way into the rock wool, or your cutting sits in the water in the tray and will rot off.
Yeah..I did, but they simply did not actually grow roots..I take the dome off the propagator and all is well. Made no sense to me at all, but even if it takes a few xtra days..it is well worth it. Taking the dime off when roots pop will dry out the cubes faster and make roots search out the water.
6 days on a Crackleberry GPS cutting..never grew her before, so I took 6 cuts, looking for maybe 1 or 2..They all rooted. Now I have lots of females to try making Feminized pollen:)
View attachment 776355

I know this might sound strange, but I used to use a lot of Clonex when I first started using it, and my roots looked like yours, to much Clonex, and as soon as I used less, I had clones coming out of my arse, so one dip is my rule now, and it's rare I lose a cutting these days.

P

Pimples

I find that little rockwool plugs are super easy to root a cutting in. As is the root riot/rapid rooter type plugs m.Oasis cubes..and Jiffys. They all root very well. Its the cultivar your trying to replicate that determines when and if roots strike in a timely manner. As is the temps..moisture of the plug and humidity. For those really hard to root strains..try spraying a kelp/humic acid foliar spray on the stock donor plant about a week to 2 weeks before taking your cuts. Use a propagation heat mat with thermostat set to about 76 degrees. Use a rooting hormone and keep the plug moist but not soaked at all times. Ive had difficult to strike cuts take a month to get roots before. These cultivars usually dont stay long in my strain rotation. Most strains take 10 to 14 days for transplantable roots to show. You could use one of them aero cloners if its real tough to get roots.

P

Pimples

I see what your doing wrong now, are you pushing your cuttings all the way through the rock wool? Only put the cutting half way into the rock wool, or your cutting sits in the water in the tray and will rot off.

I know this might sound strange, but I used to use a lot of Clonex when I first started using it, and my roots looked like yours, to much Clonex, and as soon as I used less, I had clones coming out of my arse, so one dip is my rule now, and it's rare I lose a cutting these days.
Not strange at all. Leaving a big glop of gel on the cut can make roots not strike at all. Too much cloning gel hormone. I alwAys scrape the excess off the side of my shot glass before sticking. You only need a little bit. Just a small dollop. Its not the gel creating roots. Its the gels auxins that promote the plants own auxins to initiate a callous layer on the stem to create the ideal situation for roots. Same thing with the moisture, humidity, & temperature. Those conditions dont create roots. It keeps the cutting turgid and upright so the plant can grpw its own roots easier and faster. Cultivars that have naturally high levels of auxins dont even need a rooting hormone. Ive rooted hundreds of cuts in dixie cups of water on a sunny window sill before. Takes forever..but they root.

Clamwrangler

Clamwrangler

I find aeroponic propagators to be pretty easy and simple. I use tap water (its artesian well water where Im from) about 2ml of House and Gardens Roots Excelurator, change water out every 5-7 days and I can get roots on sat's and indy's in 4-10 days! I struggle to clone my BerryBomb from bomb seeds (have you guys smelt that?? Raspberry cordial smell) though, the one thing that gave me success was to put a timer on the pump in the res 30mins on 30mins off 1. to keep temp down and 2. to encourage roots to grow with the alternating times on water/dry periods. I find if you get to the stage you have callusing (white nodes/bumps on stem where rooting gel/powder was administered) and no roots then chuck a timer on. The dry times allow the cut to search for water and nutes by pushing roots out! Hope this helps

DGP

DGP

I went back to root riot plugs and fresh clones and they seem to be doing quite well compared to last time. Will see if roots pop out soon but the clones look much better already compared to the last rou b d.

Thanks everyone,

D

DGP

DGP

Success! I used root riot and fresh Clonex in a tray with once a day flood with very dilute nutes. Misted them 2x day as well.m

Thanks everyone!

DGP

DGP

Clones and mother plants are successfully thriving and the ones in hydro are popping big root systems. Now I have finally sorted my genetics out of this F2 seedling batch and I don't have to worry so much about the one monster girl I was searching for. Now I have 8 of them!

Thanks all again,

Dee

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter

Thanks in advance,

D
Do you make your cut under water? These cheap plugs can be shoved into a larger rock cube and can run it through hydro

IMG 20180220 190605 941
DGP

DGP

Yeha, I make the initial cut to get it from the plant but then I make my final cut with a sharp new blade in the water then go right to the clonex in a small container (so I don't contaminate the bottle of Clonex).

Latest posts

Top Bottom