Diffused Or Direct

• Thread starter tromak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tromak

tromak

Not much on this subject using the search function, which is surprising. Maybe I'm using it wrong. Anyway, I have plans to build a 1400 sq foot greenhouse,and I was leaning towards using the clear poly panels so I would get direct light. My far north latitude (60) makes me concerned that panels that diffuse will rob too much light. especially during the winter. What do you think?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I went with the diffused plastic and I am very happy with it. I was worried that the light wouldn't be strong enough but my 3ft long cola's seem to contradict that thought. If in winter your sun isn't strong enough, there is always supplemental lighting that could be put up. Can't count plants if you can't see them clearly.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Just got off the phone buying my second greenhouse. Went with diffused plastic again.

tromak

tromak

I'm looking at building a pretty good sized greenhouse I drew some plans up on this pretty sweet cad app and for what i want to do I have it at 90'×30' so I would also like keep the cost reasonable. I thankfully have a great job$$ that will enable me to pay for this. I also hate this job which is why all coin I'm making is going into this greenhouse.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Been out of a series of jobs i despised for about 8 months now. Freelance here and there but now devoting all my time and energy to growing as a means of income. Definitely going to be watching to see how you do with this. Curious on the numbers aspect, as I am a DIYer for most things but if it's reasonable to have someone else build a greenhouse for me, I'll take that route.

As for the diffused vs. direct, all the reading I've done clearly shows diffused is the way to go. Just all around better for privacy and plant growth.

tromak

tromak

Well tobh you will have to watch a while because this process is going to take a while. Probably won't have a full scale grow for 14 or 15 months. I am closing on the land in a few weeks and things will start happening from there. I will do everything myself. It's just the way like it. This summer I will have a small 10-12 plant grow experimenting with a few strains and organic soil mixes. I'd really like to dial in a no additive (except worm tea) start to finish mix. We'll see.

My concern with the diffused light is I won't have enough light to finish the plants properly. I had an idea though. First of I like things super clean (I started out hydro) I will probably have the floor lined with that white plastic I forget the name but you guys know what I'm talking about. That will diffuse some light. I was thinking of using light diffusing panels on the bottom half and clear Panels on the top half for a best of both worlds kind of thing. Any thoughts on that?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Personally, I think your crazy. Do you have shade covering the greenhouse? Are you just worried about not enough light purely because of the diffused plastic?

The sun puts out on a clear day 130 lumens per sq ft. Indoors, 50 lumens per sq ft your sitting very pretty. Most of the greenhouse plastic I find is 85%-95% translucent. That means at worse, your getting 110 lumens per sq ft. On top of that, the diffused light hits parts of the plant where direct light will not hit. So your cover crops stay alive, and don't die due to shading of larger plants. More light on more bud sights at 110 lumens per sq ft is extremely effective.

tromak

tromak

I guess the question I have is where can I find a chart that lists the lumens per square foot based on latitude and season? In July I'm sure there is way more than enough light. In October I'm not so sure. There certainly isn't enough in November. I'd like to stay away from manually darkening the greenhouse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom