DIGILUX 1000 Watt HPS Bulbs

• Thread starter paulycali
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pre

they suck they copied sunmaster. 1000 watt bulb burnt 3 of them in one month but i like the 600 watt bulb hate the 1000watt

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Buds can only get so dense though eventually your just spinning your wheels by adding more light ive seen 80-100w per squarefoot produce equal quality to 40w-60w per squarefoot so take that for what its worth.

Take this for what it is worth. Go buy a brand new mag ballast and test the lumen output. Use it for a few grows and test again. You will see a decrease in output. DO the same with a digi and you will see no decrease. Digis also make better use of power(more output per watt) and run cooler. The question is do you want the best or just good enough?

D

Donkdbz

So far I have had 2 1000 digi hps's fail out of 4 I got but since they have a 1 year warrenty I don't care I just trade it back in.

Running em on Quantums

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

I was running some Solarmax 1k's in CAP Nextgen Ballasts. Every single bulb failed after 1 month of use. The Hortilux bulbs work great though, no probs. Weird thing is I used some 600w solarmax's in my last grow space with no probs. I would love to see how these stack up against the H.

I think I may have gotten a bad batch of bulbs...

I had a similar problem with solar max, and sun master bulbs and my nextgen 1000's..but when they went they took out my ballast as well(or my ballast took out the bulb). I have lost 4 bulbs and 4 nextgen ballasts in 3 months!!! The very last one blow when I was in the room. The lights came on to start the day, and I heard what sounded like a 357mag going off without ear protection(got that ringing in my ears of a lost freq), a huge bluegreen flame came out of the fan ports, and that was that..CAP has been GREAT about replacing the ballasts. And most of the bulbs got replaced, but I had to pay shipping..CAP said if I had had their bulbs they would have replaced them for free(free shipping as well)..Funny my Hortilux bulbs mixed in with nextgen ballasts have all been fine, and I do notice a difference in the plants under the hortilux(for the better)..

R

red_eye

I was discussing these bulbs at a friends place and a buddy of his that was stoned silent all night had this one thing to say -

"When running a horti in a digital ballast you can hear the bulbs hum and rattle. This is from the bulb and ballast running at a different frequency. The rattling is what causes the horti's to fail quicker. These bulbs run at the frequency that the digi ballasts are putting out. They are tuned for each other. Thats why they put out more light and last longer."

Makes sense to me.

A

antimatter

Take this for what it is worth. Go buy a brand new mag ballast and test the lumen output. Use it for a few grows and test again. You will see a decrease in output. DO the same with a digi and you will see no decrease. Digis also make better use of power(more output per watt) and run cooler. The question is do you want the best or just good enough?

I replace bulbs every couple crops, can go a year but I find I do loose a bit of brightness. There so bright I gotta wear didymium glasses with a welding shade on em just to walk into my room. why would I want to spend more money on a less reliable product that won't last me 5-10 years. Digitals are designed for maximum profit, the grower buys mags in the beginning than replaces those with digitals and goes through more ballasts and more bulbs to = more money for the hydroponic industry and more money for the Chinese factories manufacturing them and to top it off there cheaper to ship because they are lightweight it just makes sense to push them onto the market.

You might not be aware of this but all electronic products are designed with fail mechanisms in place to break sooner than later to = more profit. The manufacturers want you to keep coming back for more they don't give a sh*t if it outputs a little bit more lumens or not. With all this said I will eventually buy some digitals but not this current generation.

:yes

T

Tesseract

I had a similar problem with solar max, and sun master bulbs and my nextgen 1000's..but when they went they took out my ballast as well(or my ballast took out the bulb). I have lost 4 bulbs and 4 nextgen ballasts in 3 months!!! The very last one blow when I was in the room. The lights came on to start the day, and I heard what sounded like a 357mag going off without ear protection(got that ringing in my ears of a lost freq), a huge bluegreen flame came out of the fan ports, and that was that..CAP has been GREAT about replacing the ballasts. And most of the bulbs got replaced, but I had to pay shipping..CAP said if I had had their bulbs they would have replaced them for free(free shipping as well)..Funny my Hortilux bulbs mixed in with nextgen ballasts have all been fine, and I do notice a difference in the plants under the hortilux(for the better)..

Sorry to hear about your nextgen's failing. Mine are kicking well and honestly have never gotten a bad digi ballast from any maker yet. I agree with you 100% about the solarmax bulbs not working well with these ballasts and the Hortilux bulbs being freaking sweet!

Solamax continues to say that their bulbs work fine in these ballasts, but I think they are full of shit. I have been working around electricity for some time and have been to school for mechanical engineering so I know when 3 bulbs fail and the Hortilux ones work fine , its not just a coincidence.

T

B

Bobby Smith

Bump; anyone have any real world experience with these bulbs yet?

Interested in trying them out but would love to hear some opinions from people who've already been running them.

M

MMJInsiders

I use Digilux in my digitals and SolarMax in my mags. The Digi is a good bulb, comparable to the SM. I like SM more than Eye. I cant say that I have seen huge increases running them, but I haven't seen a drop in yield either. Case of 12 runs about $800 shipped so not bad price wise. I have no complaints and will continue to use them indefinitely.

nangonug

nangonug

Premium Member
Supporter
Digilux and Panda film = fire

I see no one has posted in here for a couple of months. I have been running a 1000w mh digilux for my veg going on 5 months. Up till now I have been real happy with the preformance. I also am running a 1000w hps digilux and so far am happy with the results as well. Anyway I was talking to my friend on the phone and heard a shattering glass sound. Oddly enough there was a glass breaking on a comercial on tv at that moment. It just sounded wrong though so I went and checked on things. There was a small fire starting at the base of some panda film :sign0065: and the light above was shattered. I put out the fire and then unpluged the ballest. From what I can tell the support rod that holds the fillament in place broke and the filliment fell aginst the bulb and shattered it from the heat. The falling glass then landed all over melting into some plastic trays I had sitting there and catching my panda film wall on fire. (The plastic was at least 10 ft away from the lamp socket.) Thank the gods I was home and cought it. Up till this point I have been very pleased with the results of these lamps It has burned there for 5 months in the same position. No water got on the lamp or was even close. I am havng second thoughts about digilux and also panda film.That shit burns quick once its going. I am planing to replace all of my panda with sheet rock and insulboard asap. (fire resistant) Never thought much about it till yesterday. another minute and the whole wall would have been engulfed in flames. That stuff was about to take off and it had just happened. Hope no one has this happen to them. Has anyone else had problems with the digilux mh or hps lamps. I would hate to think I am running another ticking fire bomb. When you look at how the filiment is supported it just seams inadiquate to support all the weight of that large filiment. To bad the lamps rock otherwise.

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

nangonug..I agree about Panada film being great for fires. I put a CO2 burner 5 feet away(first grow attempt..learned that lesson), and within 30 seconds the wall started melting, and the panda film caught fire. I was hand watering at the time, and had a 5 gallon bucket full of nutes which I throw on the fire to put it out...
In regard to the Digi-bulbs. I have 3 1000 watt digis in 3 nextgen ballasts. Its only been 2 months, but no problems yet..As I stated earlier CAP was great with replacing all thier stuff that has broken or failed(the ballasts replacements were not new, but reconstructed..not completely happy about that since the ballasts I had were only 2-4months old, and still under the 5 year warranty..but no hassles otherwise..oh and no receipt to prove I even bought them)..
Glad you didn't get hurt in the fire, and your lucky you caught it in time..I do not think that the digi bulbs are a problem overall. CAP would be looking at a huge class action lawsuit if they didn't correctly test their stuff, and people started getting hurt.

nangonug

nangonug

Premium Member
Supporter
Yea I am burnning 4 of the hps lamps and love the results. Also love the resultst of the mh (all 1000 watts) Aside from the lamp exploding its been all good. It was close to 6 months old so on the bright side (haha) I got a new lamp out of the deal. I have not tried the 600's yet but might change out a 1000 for a 600 for the summer to reduce heat. Do shop around for the deals though. My local store sales them for 110 while I get them shipped to my door for about 80. bucks. I have used many eye horts and about 6 months into there life I can say as long as more lamps don't explode then I will keep running them. Also A person can't go wrong with Osha's

D

Donkdbz

Digilux lamps are the number one returned item at the store i go to. I have personally gone through 5 now. I have seen 2 exploded ones at the store. I will be switching back to hortilux now that they have the e-friendly version

S

swisscheese

My close friend bought one and it is in my opinion a garbage product. His bulb lasted three days before it blew up and ruined his ballast as well. The socket literally melted/exploded and then when he tried to explain what happened to the retailer he purchased it from they would not honor the warranty. The store he bought the digi ballast from replaced his ballast no problem. After contacting the manufacturer he was mailed a new replacement bulb several weeks later. Went to a third store and the owner told us they are frequently returned with the same problem. I wish I had a picture to show what it did to his socket I've never seen anything like it and it could have burned his house down. The ballast worked fine for 6 months with a hortilux bulb no problems even though it is a digital ballast. He went back to hortilux and all is well again. Just from that I would say stay away from digilux poor quality, dangerous, and they force retailers to keep an artificially high price.

S

swisscheese

Panda wrap is a horrible choice for a wall covering as it's not even close to being fire resistant more like a great fire starter.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
I see no one has posted in here for a couple of months. I have been running a 1000w mh digilux for my veg going on 5 months. Up till now I have been real happy with the preformance. I also am running a 1000w hps digilux and so far am happy with the results as well. Anyway I was talking to my friend on the phone and heard a shattering glass sound. Oddly enough there was a glass breaking on a comercial on tv at that moment. It just sounded wrong though so I went and checked on things. There was a small fire starting at the base of some panda film :sign0065: and the light above was shattered. I put out the fire and then unpluged the ballest. From what I can tell the support rod that holds the fillament in place broke and the filliment fell aginst the bulb and shattered it from the heat. The falling glass then landed all over melting into some plastic trays I had sitting there and catching my panda film wall on fire. (The plastic was at least 10 ft away from the lamp socket.) Thank the gods I was home and cought it. Up till this point I have been very pleased with the results of these lamps It has burned there for 5 months in the same position. No water got on the lamp or was even close. I am havng second thoughts about digilux and also panda film.That shit burns quick once its going. I am planing to replace all of my panda with sheet rock and insulboard asap. (fire resistant) Never thought much about it till yesterday. another minute and the whole wall would have been engulfed in flames. That stuff was about to take off and it had just happened. Hope no one has this happen to them. Has anyone else had problems with the digilux mh or hps lamps. I would hate to think I am running another ticking fire bomb. When you look at how the filiment is supported it just seams inadiquate to support all the weight of that large filiment. To bad the lamps rock otherwise.

this happened to me with my digilux superblue. although no fire was started shit got real bad in my room. the heat was enough to melt the metal socket to the top of the blub housing WTF. long story short u cant run hortilux dual arc super blue with digi balasts! buyer beware, most hydro stores dont even know this!

confu
i have a thread if u wanna read more.

M

MIway

^^^ yeah, it's a trip... started on nice gear, so never took too much stock in stories of bulbs blowing or melting or cracking... but was at this grow where a lot cheaper shit was used... bulbs & ballasts... wow, scary shit. Couple of occasions where shit would've been ugly had anyone been under them when they melted down.

The mess & extra costs (replacing ballasts & sockets & down time) isn't worth the risk to save a couple of extra dollars... for some really pretty boxes.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
^^^^??? cheap shit, hortilux retail 250 a blub, i paid 200$ for mine, i was alble to take both back and switched them, but nothing cheap bout them dude.

confu...

M

MIway

No bro... I'm talking about looking for alternatives to Horti's... like with some 80 bulbs. Started w the Hori's bro... blues & the supers... and never, ever had an issue. Peace

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
^^^ ok gottit. yeah ive never been one to skimp on cost, bottom line is those horti dual archs ARE NOT for didi balasts, its a accident waiting to happen!

Latest posts

Top Bottom