digital ballast and hotilux bulbs THE TRUTH!

• Thread starter stonedmaniac
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

stonedmaniac

ok here is the truth about digital ballast and hortilux bulbs and a few others like cheap bulbs.straight from the horses mouth hortilux bulbs will not work in most digital ballast go to their web site it says in plain english that their bulbs will mis fire,blow or go bad after a few days on most digital ballast not all but most and i dont know what digital ballast that hortilux bulbs work with just go to their web site and see for your selfs.just thought i`d drop a little piece of knowledge on a great web site with great growers,good people,and a great moderator that looks out for the little guy peace out.

P

paulycali

My Hortlilux bulb works excellent in conjunction with my galaxy 1000 watt digital ballast! I dont know what your smoking or trying to do, but hortilux is here to stay and always will be

djstiks

djstiks

i'm running hortilux super hps with global greenhouse hurcules digital 1000, new edition lumatek 1000, and the hydrofarm phantom 1000 with no problems.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
okay. like an idiot, i searched the hortilux website to see WTF you were talking about. i found this:

"HORTILUX lamps work equally well as any competitive brand on electronic ballasts. Performance really depends on the quality of the electronic ballast and the ability of the ballast manufacture to produce consistently good products."

go waste someone else's time. this forum doesn't need your bullshit.

Papa

S

SSHZ

Well, I thought it was a bunch a crap too until I started loosing my beloved Hortilux bulbs in my new Lumatek ballasts. One bulb lasted about 10 days and the second in about a month. I switched to the Hilux bulbs, made specifically for digital ballasts and I haven't had a problem since. I'm a long term user of Hortilux bulbs but I won't put them in my digital ballasts EVER again. Have you guys read all the complaints from people posting about their similar problems????? I've read reports from Hortilux regarding their firing temperature frequency- made for magnetic ballasts, not digital. Give it time guys- you'll see what we are talking about!

E

ent

From another thread.

Seems the Lumatek 600's are lamp specific....they work fine with older generation Horti 600 lamps, because this is what they were designed to do. Newer lamps cause premature lamp and ballast failure. I had a Lumatek 600 running a new Horti 600 and got maybe 250 hours and my ballast looked like purpleberry's when I returned it. The guys at the garden store said they had a shit load of Lumatek 600's to return and Lumatek's rep have been giving them a run around. They dropped Lumatek and are going with another line of ballasts.....from what I've heard and seen the Lumatek 400's are working great.
-------------

I did find this on the internet awhile ago concerning the Lumatek 600's........

"My name is Jason and I am the founder of Lumatek Electronic ballasts. We try to stay away from these forums but I think this is important. Some customers are currently experiencing problems when using some 600 watt lamps. I do want to point out that the Hortilux Solarmax Grolux issue applies to ALL brand of electronic ballasts.

The lumatek ballast is a true Eballast. It has a micro processor cpu. This cpu allows the ballast to make adjustments according to the lamp that is being used. A eballast can compensate for degrading bulbs and slight power fluctuations. It can also sense the exact specifications of the lamps it is using. the Lumatek ballast is up to 27% brighter than a core and coil ballast. We do have one problem with this technology the cpu can not detect the lamp until AFTER the initial ignition. Once the bulb is lit the ballast can then take over and drive the bulb to its exact specifications. Industry specifications for a 600 watt hps lamp call for a 4000volt ignition pulse. This is what Lumatek and all other digital ballast use for a starting voltage. Hortilux ignition used to be 2000-3000 volts even though this is less then the ignition pulse of the Lumatek we did not experience any problems with the Hortilux I have lots of customers with Hortilux lamps that are over a year old However about 6 months ago we started to notice an increase in Hortilux failures. We also noticed that the font of the text printed at the base of the bulb had changed. When we tested this lamp we found that the ignition range was lowered to 1500 volts. These new Hortilux lamps are different then the ones we originally designed the ballast with and have a higher frailer rate. The problems that customers are having are NOT a ballast problem they are a bulb problem the Hortilux 600 watt is not designed to industry specifications regarding ignition pulse. Furthermore it is also manufactured with a special gas in the arc tube that no other lamp maker in the world uses. The Hortilux lamp design is unique. We are currently adapting our ballast for this bulb it may require a switch to lower the ignition pulse for Hortilux.
Solarmax and Growlux lamps are the opposite problem these lamps require a 5000-6000 volt ignition pulse Again the standard ignition for a 600 is 4000 volts. The Lumtek ballast can light these bulbs with the 4K pulse for a while however over time the lamps degrade and they require more and more voltage to start after a few months the bulbs will not ignite in any digital ballast. "

"With the introduction of the electronic ballast, we have to consider lamp technology again. Electronic ballasts need a lamp that is rated for use on electronic ballasts, and the old core and coil lamps won’t work on them. You cannot use a 60Hz lamp on a 22,000 or 45,000 Hz electronic ballast; doing so causes premature lamp failure, lamp blackening and component decay. It won’t make a difference if your 60 Hz lamp is a MH or an HPS if you destroy the lamp with your electronic ballast."

Papa

Papa

Supporter
here's the link to the thread for those who are interested:

Papa

J

jonnynu

Premium Member
Supporter
You chose this as your 6th post???????????????

S

SSHZ

I should have mentioned mine are the 1000 watt ballasts, not 600 watters.

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
This is bull shit ..I run my Quantum digi with Hortilux no problems..JACK

H

HannaMan

Its not complete bullshit, I have 2 digi Lumatek 600s, I went through a couple hortilux's and had two ballast fail on me.

The ballast were replaced and I dont run hortilux unless they're in my magnetic thouies.

Lumatek told me there ballasts dont like the high output bulbs, and to run standard to avoid problems...first hand info, from Lumatek.

O

oldtimer60

Future brite 1000s never ever had a problem, been using them for years. Tried all kinds and hortilux are the ones ive never had a problem with

J

Jalisco Kid

It is the Truth. Because they work for you that your see light does not mean they are working properly.If you do not excite that gas properly you are not getting the true color spectrum that bulb has to offer. I read that report from hortilux,they also took heat measurements of dig ballasts and did not see them run much cooler then mag ballasts.
And to the person who started this thread you should have posted that report also,unless you were planning on rubbing some noses. JK

J

Jalisco Kid

Here is their newest study where they back off a little on digital stating they have made improvements. If your ballasts are a few years old they lack.

JK

S

SSHZ

I'd be leary on anything a company trying to sell product states to sell more product...... unless it's verified by another unrelated source. I love Hortilux, but I won't use them in my digi's ever again. Hortilux had to come out with something to answer questions since many retailers are pointing customers in other directions for bulb purchases.

S

stonedmaniac

ok just got back today see some of these outlandish statements some disrespectfull not all but if you people who disagree with me or my post thats your opinion, but when a key staff member from htg supplys tells me not to purchase a hortilux bulb because it will not work properly in a most digital ballast and then i do a search on google and find thousands of commplaints about hortilux bulbs blowing or not working at all then i`am going to post it to try and save someone a headache or worse a fucked up crop.. if you dont like then tuff shit their are to many complaints about this issue for it to be ignored or for some dumb ass`s who cant except the truth if you dont agree then fine but you dont have insult someone for trying to help others

F

frogeye50

i have both the old version of lumatech and the newer ones. silver and the blue/purple, 600's and 1000's and have never had a problem with hort bulbs.i have heard from others they have had trouble with the solarmax bulbs in the luma's.now that i write this my bulbs will take a shit lol.must be something to it if the company is sending out statements regarding the ballasts,distancing themselves from the problem.ive ran the lumas/horti for about 5 years with no problems so im sticking with mine for now.peace

Papa

Papa

Supporter
stonedmaniac,

you start a thread entitled "digital ballast and hotilux bulbs THE TRUTH!" [your CAPS, not mine].

you begin your thread by stating, "straight from the horses mouth hortilux bulbs will not work in most digital ballast go to their web site it says in plain english that their bulbs will mis fire,blow or go bad after a few days on most digital ballast."

i'll be straight with ya, i checked your concept of "THE TRUTH!" a simple search of Hortilux's website turned up a few statements like "HORTILUX lamps work equally well as any competitive brand on electronic ballasts. Performance really depends on the quality of the electronic ballast and the ability of the ballast manufacture to produce consistently good products." i found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING REMOTELY LIKE YOUR CLAIM.

no where on their website does it say "in plain english that their bulbs will mis fire,blow or go bad after a few days on most digital ballast."

if i'm the idiot for posting bullshit, provide a link. i'll own up to it and apologize.

. . . from the horse's mouth.

Papa

H

HannaMan

Papa, the problem isnt with the bulbs, its with the ballast...

Ofcourse they're going to tell you it works...or else they wouldnt sell....that makes sense, right?

You should call Lumatek and get there opinion. I know I have...

Top Bottom