digital ballast and hotilux bulbs THE TRUTH!

• Thread starter stonedmaniac
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mmmmasonite

Ran a 600 horti on my ggl digi no problem. I still prefer mag ballasts for my 1000s. My 400w ggl digi did blow out a horti mh bulb really quick, id say 2 months. Switched to an agrosun bulb and haven't had a problem since. I really like horti bulbs and have had the best results with them. Even when they get old as dirt they still seem to do better than the cheap bulbs at brand new.

How are the Global greenhouse ballasts treating you? You know about the 3 year no hassle warranty right? I have run mine side by side with Lumatek and the GGLs are brighter. What do you think?

M

Mmmmasonite

lumatek 1k's with horti bulbs never a issue over a year.

Hey...if one goes out...try a Global Greenhouse digital and do a side by side....I would love to know of a 1000w side by side to see who's is brighter....Peace

C

CalcioErba2004

How are the Global greenhouse ballasts treating you? You know about the 3 year no hassle warranty right? I have run mine side by side with Lumatek and the GGLs are brighter. What do you think?

They work great! I have only seen one go up in smoke. They run cool and quiet and are a bit cheaper than the lumateks. I haven't run lumateks(Im poor) so I can't tell you which one is brighter. I will say the GGLs spark a bulb really quick and gets it to full brightness pretty quick. :)

A

aerogrow

i used sylvania grolux dual spec with my 600w lumatek 2009 model digi i beleive (blue with super lumens) n been fine and recently using sunmaster dual spectrum so far so good (touch wood)

G

Ghandii

Wow, heated debate here... kinda hot like my Lumatecs

Well I just have to chime in on how many toasted digital ballast I have seen come in...not to mention toasting 3 myself....a green Galaxy, and a purple n silver lumatec... Something else I noticed was the fact that this 600w P.L. ballast is alot cooler n brighter than my 600w Luma with super lumen... I guess within a couple years the supposed savings with digital ballast in electricity may not be worth the cost of replacing the POS...:sign0065:. its like comparing a vintage tube, transformer guitar amp to some pc board piece of dogmeat... don't think manufacturers in China are building things better....old skool ballasts are a huge transformer...a filter cap and an ignitor....built to work...built to last...
I figure the ballast market is somewhat like the toaster market at Walmat...buy it, use it for 3 years chuck it... its just a shame to see everything in manufacturing cheapened....yes, they are lighter... I don't think they are brighter...possibly a tad more efficent..until they are fried...but I am no way dumping my old ballasts yet... wired in 220 and kept outside the growing area the USA Made Heavy Metal ballasts may just rock on long after these cute little purple puppies perish.....peace and pakalolo:

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

dudes i got a buddy who is hooked on the hortilux bulbs and uses lumateks never had a single bulb go out in 3 years, i do howveer think hortiluxs bulbs are way over priced, i've had no nitcable differences between lumateks bubs and even cheap ass sunleave bulbs.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

My Hortlilux bulb works excellent in conjunction with my galaxy 1000 watt digital ballast! I dont know what your smoking or trying to do, but hortilux is here to stay and always will be

He is not smoking anything. I have major ISSUES with these bulbs on my lumatek ballasts.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

stonedmaniac,

you start a thread entitled "digital ballast and hotilux bulbs THE TRUTH!" [your CAPS, not mine].

you begin your thread by stating, "straight from the horses mouth hortilux bulbs will not work in most digital ballast go to their web site it says in plain english that their bulbs will mis fire,blow or go bad after a few days on most digital ballast."

i'll be straight with ya, i checked your concept of "THE TRUTH!" a simple search of Hortilux's website turned up a few statements like "HORTILUX lamps work equally well as any competitive brand on electronic ballasts. Performance really depends on the quality of the electronic ballast and the ability of the ballast manufacture to produce consistently good products." i found ABSOLUTELY NOTHING REMOTELY LIKE YOUR CLAIM.

no where on their website does it say "in plain english that their bulbs will mis fire,blow or go bad after a few days on most digital ballast."

if i'm the idiot for posting bullshit, provide a link. i'll own up to it and apologize.

. . . from the horse's mouth.

Papa

Not trying to be a dick, but the guy is right. I've spoken on the phone with Mark Thomas and he has said just what the OP said.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

This forum has the reputation feature? Perfect time to use it when people post threads that are bullshit. There is enough misinformation out in the world ;)

This information would have saved me 600 dollars if I read it before purchasing eyes.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I have owned Digi Lumatek 600's for years. Different models and voltages. Never had a bulb problem. My cheap China digi 600 I have had all sorts of problems with but that's to be expected. I also don't use stupidly overpriced Hortilux bulbs. Maybe that's why? Guess i have been missing out on the pounds and pounds vs the normal bulbs over they years hahaha.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I have owned Digi Lumatek 600's for years. Different models and voltages. Never had a bulb problem. My cheap China digi 600 I have had all sorts of problems with but that's to be expected. I also don't use stupidly overpriced Hortilux bulbs. Maybe that's why? Guess i have been missing out on the pounds and pounds vs the normal bulbs over they years hahaha.

I did notice a small difference in quality and hardness with the horti compared to the plant max myself, but i won't be spending any money on them again, even though they sent me 6-600's for free

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi, just refreshing an old thread. I've been looking at why my ballasts keep blowing and this popped up. Noting that this thread is 10 years old and digital ballast should have improved somewhat. I happen to be using a hortilux lamp and 2 ballasts have gone in less than 3 weeks. Why are we now using digital instead of the old reliable magnetic ballasts? I Googled to see if they are still available...and they are $79 Cdn for a 1000w....hmmm.....cancel my new ballast order and order the magnetic? with a refund ? Why not? Are digital ballasts better somehow?

freezeland2

freezeland2

Hi, just refreshing an old thread. I've been looking at why my ballasts keep blowing and this popped up. Noting that this thread is 10 years old and digital ballast should have improved somewhat. I happen to be using a hortilux lamp and 2 ballasts have gone in less than 3 weeks. Why are we now using digital instead of the old reliable magnetic ballasts? I Googled to see if they are still available...and they are $79 Cdn for a 1000w....hmmm.....cancel my new ballast order and order the magnetic? with a refund ? Why not? Are digital ballasts better somehow?

Digital ballast has solid state circuits, run cooler, much lighter in weight. I still have two magnetic, and a older quantum digital ballast that’s still kicking out the power. I have had that thing since 2009/2010 when they first came out. Was using it as recently as 3 weeks ago when I switched to LED.

ETA - my digital is also dimmable.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Digital ballast has solid state circuits, run cooler, much lighter in weight. I still have two magnetic, and a older quantum digital ballast that’s still kicking out the power. I have had that thing since 2009/2010 when they first came out. Was using it as recently as 3 weeks ago when I switched to LED.

ETA - my digital is also dimmable.
Hi, great, so when none of that matters to me like cooler, lighter ect, I'm thinking fk it I'll go back to magnetic. Some thing about radio signals getting interrupted comes to mind and old growers getting busted because of interference in the area.

Top Bottom