Digital Ballasts - Quantum VS Phantom

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Hey farmers spain has just started to stock these ballasts....yes yes i know you guys in the states have had them for an age already..

Would love to hear your thoughts on which is better if any at all :thinking

S

Seed Buyer

I am not a fan of dimmable ballast. One of the heads at Eye Hortilux explained to me that by dimming the ballast down the bulb will not fire to its full potential meaning the grower will never achieve the full spectrum possibilities of the lamp. She used the analogy that dimming a ballast is like driving a car with the parking break on. Also, I am hesitant to buy lighting system from new companies like quantum. I have bought gear from new lighting companies only to see them fold in a few years and therefore not being able to get their products warrantied. Hydrofarm is one of the original players in the industry so when you buy a phantom ballast you can rest assure they are going to take care of the product if it fails.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I am not a fan of dimmable ballast. One of the heads at Eye Hortilux explained to me that by dimming the ballast down the bulb will not fire to its full potential meaning the grower will never achieve the full spectrum possibilities of the lamp. She used the analogy that dimming a ballast is like driving a car with the parking break on. Also, I am hesitant to buy lighting system from new companies like quantum. I have bought gear from new lighting companies only to see them fold in a few years and therefore not being able to get their products warrantied. Hydrofarm is one of the original players in the industry so when you buy a phantom ballast you can rest assure they are going to take care of the product if it fails.

What I've heard, If you dim down the ballast and use the proper bulb (same as wattage) you'll get the full spectrum. If you leave in a 1000w and dim to 400, it'll work but not put out the full 400. Im not sure tho, as Ive only ran it at 1000.
I own a Phantom and I like it. Silent. Doesnt get too hot. My quantum is a 600 so its not dimmable, but works just fine. Both are good, but if I had to choose between the Phantom or the Quantum, I'd go with the Phantom. -PDX

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

The biggest thing to take into consideration with any digital ballast is operating frequency. Unlike magnetic ballast diigital ballasts are not ANSI certified. All magnetic ballast are ANSI certified to operate at 60hz. SO most bulbs are designed to run at 60hz. Since there is no ANSI certification on digital ballasts some may run at 10k hz and some as high as 100k hz, you have to try and find the right bulb for that particular ballast. Under my understanding Next Gen and Quantum have some of the highest operating frequencies of all the digital ballasts. AN makes a low frequency digital ballast and now EYE Hortilux is making a low frequency digital ballast both utilizing square wave low frequency drive technology.

Digital Ballasts are very efficient in floroecent lighting because its improves the lamps efficiency to run at a higher frequency. This is not the case with digital HID ballasts, thats why I would say the Phantom is better because it operates at a lower frequency and you will probably have less bulb compatibility issues using Phantom ballasts.

Also I would like to comment on the "dimmable" feature on most electronic ballasts on the market. This is done using pulse-width modulation which is pretty much a fancy way of saying chaniging the frequency. This will not save electric because the output wattage remains the same the only thing that changes is the operating frequency. This is a common mis-understanding about dimmable digital ballasts. People think if they turn down the dial they are saving money, but that is far from true.

Hope this helps - GC

P

paulycali

Quantum for sure. Nothing but top qaulity from them. I believe hydrofarm gets alot of there stuff made in china. That tells you alot about there products. I also heard something negative when using multople phantoms. I would stick with the quantums for sure unless you can get your hands on some of sun systems galaxy select a watt ballast. There off the hook. Top quality gear for sure

Good luck Logic :)

Mr.GoodCat

Mr.GoodCat

Just an FYI both Quantum and Galaxy ballasts are Made in China for clarification

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Worked in a hydro store for a min. I can honestly tell you I have never seen a Quantum or Phantom come back for repairs/warranty. The Quantums have been out for much longer than the Phantoms, but everyone rocking the Phantoms loves them. The Phantoms are kind of big and heavy though for a digi..

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Get your self the gavita range of 400v. They do a 1000w dimable ballast shade in one or remote.

Biggest yields poss and best built tec I have played with in the grow room. And their cust support is the best.

P

psilo

Get your self the gavita range of 400v. They do a 1000w dimable ballast shade in one or remote.

Biggest yields poss and best built tec I have played with in the grow room. And their cust support is the best.

Unfortunately this is not an option for vert growers.

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes it is.

They do remote versions of the pro el 400 v range and coming with the new air cooled will be a single ended 1000 allowing for virticle positioning if one wishes.

Happy times for all.

I have 5 of the 600w Quantums and have been please. I like the fan feature as ballasts will generate some heat, and it keeps the electronics cool. They are also inexpensive relative to other ballasts. Plus, they don't have that super lumen feature which I feel is a garbage feature. If a ballast has it, I won't even consider it.

Olyver

Olyver

If you clamp an ammeter on the power going into the ballast, 120V or 240V, the amperage draw drops as the ballast is dimmed, so it's obvious the power drops as well.

Until someone actually does testing of the light spectrum and compares the levels at different dimming levels, it's all just speculation. It surprises me that none of the ballast or bulb manufacturers have done this.

MarijuanaBaybee

MarijuanaBaybee

Quantum's all day altough ive never try'd out the phantom's but like Surfer said the phantom's are heavy and big if space and weight isint a concern then fucc it try em out, but i agree with 1971 sayying that the Pballast's super lummen shit is garbage even tough i havent tried em but i could b wrong, and i love the lil fan the quantum ballast have in the back.... im sure what ever u go with you cant go wrong buena suerte big L :cool:

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I run 2 phantom 600s. No complaints here.

outwest

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

solis teks if ya can get em. they have a built in relay, so they'll test the circuit before they fire. so as long as they on the same circuit they'll all fire sequentially.

The biggest thing to take into consideration with any digital ballast is operating frequency. Unlike magnetic ballast diigital ballasts are not ANSI certified. All magnetic ballast are ANSI certified to operate at 60hz. SO most bulbs are designed to run at 60hz. Since there is no ANSI certification on digital ballasts some may run at 10k hz and some as high as 100k hz, you have to try and find the right bulb for that particular ballast. Under my understanding Next Gen and Quantum have some of the highest operating frequencies of all the digital ballasts. AN makes a low frequency digital ballast and now EYE Hortilux is making a low frequency digital ballast both utilizing square wave low frequency drive technology.

Digital Ballasts are very efficient in floroecent lighting because its improves the lamps efficiency to run at a higher frequency. This is not the case with digital HID ballasts, thats why I would say the Phantom is better because it operates at a lower frequency and you will probably have less bulb compatibility issues using Phantom ballasts.

Also I would like to comment on the "dimmable" feature on most electronic ballasts on the market. This is done using pulse-width modulation which is pretty much a fancy way of saying chaniging the frequency. This will not save electric because the output wattage remains the same the only thing that changes is the operating frequency. This is a common mis-understanding about dimmable digital ballasts. People think if they turn down the dial they are saving money, but that is far from true.

Hope this helps - GC

i did a thread on dimmables and everything in there n explains the spectrum question as well as the consumption questions. and the dimmable feature actually does consume less power, i checked with an ammeter.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/the-truth-about-dimmable-ballasts.46034/

Olyver

Olyver

Not sure about the Quantums. I saw about 150 Quantums on a pallet waiting to go back to the manufacturer in China, they were 1000w and 600w models. It's so sad that none of these electronic ballasts can be repaired in North America.

darkpink

darkpink

I run quantums and love them. you can look at it how you want but i RARELY dim my ballast. why would you want to dim them alot. Only time i dim is for new growth goin into flower for a day or two for acclimation, and when i need to do work in the flower room i knock them down to 50% and run exhaust slower so im not getting sun baked, thats it.

so your analogy to driving a sports car with the e break on is a good one for a sales pitch from eye, only if you keep your ballast dim. apparently they have alot of problems with there bulbs running on e ballast, obviously they gotta tell the consumers somthing to keep the sales of there bulbs up as e ballast continue to get ever more popular as a standard. there bulbs are made for magnetic ballast only, and they tell you that. ROCK QUANTUM BRO! you wont regret it.

http://www.quantumhort.com/

Top Bottom