Digital Electronic Ballast Humming

• Thread starter kirkland212
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kirkland212

I just purchased a 1000w Digital Greenhouse ballast. It fires up my 1000W HPS with no problems but the ballast makes a humming sound 10 times louder than my magnetic ballast. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

B

British_Hempire

Is it a BAL brand ballast? I have had a few of those and they were all silent, if it carries on buzzing I'd take it back and get it replaced, definitely shouldn't be doing it.

K

kirkland212

I am not sure if it is a BAL brand ballast. Here is the link to it. I ordered a 600W one from them and it is almost completely silent.

B

British_Hempire

It's not a BAL, but that doesn't make a lot of difference, it should still be almost silent.

I only asked if it was a BAL as they are the commonest brand of Greenhouse ballast I have seen and I have experience with them so I know they are definitely supposed to be almost silent.

K

keebler420

I have never been around a Digital Ballast but everything I read, they are suppose to be dead quiet. It is one of the advantages of going Digital. Take it back before it burns out the bulb or worst, starts a fire.

I

ismokepot

Something is wrong....... it should be quite quiet if operating properly, other then thew noise from the fan. I'd make a call back to the dealer and see what they have to say about it. Or return it and ask them for a quieter unit.

F

Fear

Sounds like loose connections inside. Causing vibrations of the components. I thought they were supposed to be silent to but my friends 1000w makes noise too.

M

Mr.Wakenbake

I don't run the greenhouse brand. But electronic/digital ballasts shouldn't make any noise whatsoever unless it has an internal cooling fan, like the future brites.

K

kirkland212

Thanks for all the responses. I got a replacement on the way and hopefully there will be no more problems. Thank god they have 2 year warranty. For all you guys that have made the upgrade to digital, do you feel it was worth it? I have read a lot of horror storries about bulbs blowing out and fires almost starting.

I

ismokepot

Definitely worth it. Less noise, less heat, smaller units, less electricity, brighter light........

M

Mr.Wakenbake

Just for the reduction in heat, it was def worth it. Being that my ballast must be in the same area i flower in, it helps me to keep my temps below 80. With magnetics 250w i couldn't keep it below 85 hardly with the ballast in the room. I would hate to know how much heat a 1ker magnetic puts off..... i bet it's a real heat producer.

I can lay my hands on the 600w ballast with no real discomfort.

Top Bottom