Dimming Ballasts

• Thread starter StashPharmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StashPharmer

StashPharmer

I have done a few searches and was unable to find the information I am seeking.

I am interested in finding out if diming a ballast reduces the bulbs wattage. Dimming a 400w ballast to 50%, would that result in only 200w?

I am very new to this so please bear with me.

{{Vibes}}

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

I have done a few searches and was unable to find the information I am seeking.

I am interested in finding out if diming a ballast reduces the bulbs wattage. Dimming a 400w ballast to 50%, would that result in only 200w?

I am very new to this so please bear with me.

{{Vibes}}
I've searched this numerous times and talked to a few people that I trust their input. Yes it does draw half the power. There is still some per drawn by the ballast itself which may be higher then it would be if it was a ballast that was on full power. Like a 600w turned down to 250 is less efficient then a 250w ballast on full. But you are drawing les energy. I've never done it but have been told that if you plug a meter into the outlet then the ballast it will show you this drop. But I personally have not done this myself. Just trusted the info.

StashPharmer

StashPharmer

I've searched this numerous times and talked to a few people that I trust their input. Yes it does draw half the power. There is still some per drawn by the ballast itself which may be higher then it would be if it was a ballast that was on full power. Like a 600w turned down to 250 is less efficient then a 250w ballast on full. But you are drawing les energy. I've never done it but have been told that if you plug a meter into the outlet then the ballast it will show you this drop. But I personally have not done this myself. Just trusted the info.

Thank you for your response!

So I have dimmed my 400w ballast @ 50%. With the information provided, My ballast is now drawing only 200w. So in turn, my 400w HPS is burning bright at 200w?

I am just trying to understand this because I want to make sure I have sufficient lighting for the amount of plants I have under the light. I am operating as though it is a 400w bulb.

Midwestjay

Midwestjay

Thank you for your response!

So I have dimmed my 400w ballast @ 50%. With the information provided, My ballast is now drawing only 200w. So in turn, my 400w HPS is burning bright at 200w?

I am just trying to understand this because I want to make sure I have sufficient lighting for the amount of plants I have under the light. I am operating as though it is a 400w bulb.
I hear the best way to do it is to match the bulb wattage to the dimmed setting. I've heard guys that know what they are talking about say the bulbs run most efficient and the best color spectrum at the wattage they are designed for. So if you have the ballast dimmed to 200 it would be better with a 250watt bulb.
After saying all that I've ran my ballast at lower setting for a few grows. Like when I started the plants they didn't need 600w so I dimmed to lowest setting and turned it up as they grew. Worked fine for me. But I like replacing bulbs often. So I can't tell you if it wears then out faster. My bulbs go through 2 cycles at most before I toss them. They are cheap enough and I only run ony at a time. I think the yields with a new bulb are worth the cost of a bulb.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

The problem is when you dim a bulb it changes the spectrum it was designed to run at negatively if you dim much over 15-20%.Also like jay said turning down a ballast will cause the ballast to burn more energy in heat transfer instead of using that energy in making light.My personal opinion is it is best to run a bulb and ballast combo that are as close to matched as you can get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom