Dimming L.E.D. lights

• Thread starter Scrogger2190
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

I've got a question if anyone has an answer. For one, it's better to run a light at 100% if you have the height because you get a bigger/better distributed footprint right? And two, from what I've read theres two types of dimming. Constant current reduction (CCR) and pulse wave modulation (PWM) in a scenario where you run out of height would PWM be the better option because it flickers on and off at 100% to equal the same DLI? Basically my question is would you get better penetration with PWM vs CCR because technically it's going on and off at full intensity? Or would this possibly mess with photoperiod receptors?

Reklax

Reklax

You’re looking way too deep into it. Plants just want usable photons regardless of how it gets them and yes raising with more power will increase footprint

Scrogger2190

Scrogger2190

Right I get that I'm just wondering if one type of dimming system is more efficient than the other. I recently got a ppfd meter and I'm getting curious about how delivering said photons impacts the plant growth. What I'm mainly curious about is what I asked about the two different dimming option but ik also curious about what happens if I give the plant the same DLI in 11 hours of light instead of 12 what happens? Is the intensity too much and it can only take so many photons per hour and can only do that for 12 hours and that's why we light it that way? To squeeze the most light photons in a single day as it can handle, or could we possibly give it the same dli in less time and since it has less time of light per day could possibly think its later in the season and accelerate maturity? I'm starting to get into serious questions about lighting

Reklax

Reklax

You can absolutely run a higher pffd for 11 hours but you will need to supplement Co2 if you’re chasing yields. I run a 45 dli which is around 1000 ppfd and need at least 1100ppm of Co2 for the plant to keep up or they will start to yellow and for me to run the same dli at 11 hours it would jump to 1400ppm of Co2. There’s a ton of benefits to running 11 hours but I’d rather save on Co2

Latest posts

Top Bottom