Dirtbags Hydroponics Thread.

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

exactly. The humic acid helps the nutrient up take and helps boost yields, makes runs run smoother. Use it flushes as well. The liquid karma helps to add the things I would get from soil. The little extras. Makes them lush green and I also use it during veg. The silicate I use during veg and first 3 weeks for stems, making them strong. The carbo load believe it or not provides the extra sugars needed after defoliation. I remove big water leaves and then add carbo load to supplement sugars for energy. Cal mag, well I use distilled water so it lacks it and if I don’t use it the plant struggles. Og’s are know to be cal mag whores. Monster in week 2 only in small amounts. Little extra p and k and helps them build tighter internodes. Big bud because it likes it better than monster bloom. monster bloom is powder salt form. when I’ve used monster weeks 3-5 I start to notice deficiencies around week4. The plant seems to ask for more potassium then and big bud’s ratios are higher in k than p. And finally overdrive seems to get them to bulk up best in the last few weeks over any other competitive brands I’ve tried. Over all I’ve found this mix of nutes to bring the best terps and weight for this specific flower. But the a/b super nutrient from cannabis gives it that special smell and taste that people desire. I’ve tried other brands like Heavy which other claim it works pretty well with some og cuts but I didn’t like it as well as the Canadian super Nutrients. it’s a dialed in mix. Super bloom a/b just works for Og kush.

Just ask @The Kind Man originally wrote a post on an Og Kush recipe back in 2009 which share the same a/b and a few other supplements. Only difference is that most growers back then would nute the shit out of the plant. Plant can take it but you gotta flush the hell out of it. Back then everyone was using nutrient like it was water. The pound price was so high that you did not care to spend a few thousand dollars on nutrients for a round... 😂 times have changed .

Ok then. :-). You are fully dialed in. Your pics showed it for sure. Thats a lot of bud.

B

Burned Haze

I was mistaken on what medicropper was using ( memory error, opps glad I checked) I thought he said he was using Same thing you were ( he uses a brand called cropsalt). Ethier way same kind of issue ( where they wanna play games and smaller ratios to get you in the game with them, like so many of the hobbyists/ hydro/indoor selling brands ) only positive thing I see is he is getting is getting good results And it is working out for him( but why pay 1,000 per 100 lb when my jacks or mendo will do 2-4 per 1000w if your a good grower )

-
Video him explaining dosage of the nutes ( boring but good info )

-
current week he resolved his problems by adding more of the nutes than what’s suggested from what the maker says ( man that’s expensive , I think he said he was doing like 1.5x) and doing some modifications, the previous video beforehand this and you’ll see the difference , they def were yellow and needed it.

(not affiliated with that nute company or medicropper in anyway , just some good info since your in Canada and another brand choice , that guy before this did advanced and expensive , this is his (medi) first attempt and when people on gml podcast suggested jacks peters he kinda took the hint for the future cause he seemed like he didn’t care that he payed so much for the advanced nutes line , I wouldn’t pay 1,000 for 100 for a part a and b dry lol)

That guy is running 1,000’s of plants per year and 1000’s of gallons of water per cycle, I (if it was me) think I’m going to choose wisely and watch the end result and not pay for underrated concentration npk in water and then mixed with things I could get myself and charged like a diamond . Those kind of choices make and break ya or at least make a big % in your wallet if your going to do this yearly .

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I was mistaken on what medicropper was using ( memory error, opps glad I checked) I thought he said he was using Same thing you were ( he uses a brand called cropsalt). Ethier way same kind of issue ( where they wanna play games and smaller ratios to get you in the game with them, like so many of the hobbyists/ hydro/indoor selling brands ) only positive thing I see is he is getting is getting good results And it is working out for him( but why pay 1,000 per 100 lb when my jacks or mendo will do 2-4 per 1000w if your a good grower )

-
Video him explaining dosage of the nutes ( boring but good info )

-
current week he resolved his problems by adding more of the nutes than what’s suggested from what the maker says ( man that’s expensive , I think he said he was doing like 1.5x) and doing some modifications, the previous video beforehand this and you’ll see the difference , they def were yellow and needed it.

(not affiliated with that nute company or medicropper in anyway , just some good info since your in Canada and another brand choice , that guy before this did advanced and expensive , this is his (medi) first attempt and when people on gml podcast suggested jacks peters he kinda took the hint for the future cause he seemed like he didn’t care that he payed so much for the advanced nutes line , I wouldn’t pay 1,000 for 100 for a part a and b dry lol)

That guy is running 1,000’s of plants per year and 1000’s of gallons of water per cycle, I (if it was me) think I’m going to choose wisely and watch the end result and not pay for underrated concentration npk in water and then mixed with things I could get myself and charged like a diamond . Those kind of choices make and break ya or at least make a big % in your wallet if your going to do this yearly .

Gotcha. Yeah even megacrop is about half that price, I got 22lb for around 100 bucks Canadian, 75 USD or so.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
No pics because I smoked a joint and forgot to take some before I came back up to the house... But happy to report the plants look better already, no joke. Green'd up nicely and all the leaves are standing tall and happy looking.

Its amazing to see how responsive the plants are to the inputs in the wool. Very cool stuff. It's like you can almost see them grow spending a couple hrs with them.

Judaz

Judaz

No pics because I smoked a joint and forgot to take some before I came back up to the house... But happy to report the plants look better already, no joke. Green'd up nicely and all the leaves are standing tall and happy looking.

Its amazing to see how responsive the plants are to the inputs in the wool. Very cool stuff. It's like you can almost see them grow spending a couple hrs with them.

that’s the beauty about hydro but there is also a risk. Things will fix fast but the drawback is that mistakes can cost you bad as well and things can go south just as fast.

Judaz

Judaz

Regarding that guy that has 27 different strains in place. It can only be done with soil really or a medium that requires run to waste. You cannot recirculate nutes in such a room because different strains will use up nutes in different ratios and some plants will get affected. I prefer doing smaller rooms with similar plants that require similar nutrient requirements and the you can use hydro and recirculate nutes which will save you lots of money

also you will have some vpd issues as well. Some plants have different vpd requirements per given weeks. Slight changes in temps and humidity to cater for 1 type of strain will effect other strains that maybe more sensitive to the changes.

best thing to do let’s you have you have 1 big room with 99 lights. I would do 9 rooms with 9 lights each and cater to 9 different strains individually. And get everything into a cycle. It’s also tough to trim and manicure a 99 light room all at once. You’ll need a lot more man power and have get outside people in that you may not trust. Better to have a small tight crew that you can trust and be able to cycle lo the rooms through out time. So you can consistently harvest a room per week and manage the whole process much better. There is a logistical factor that comes to play and that must be worked out correctly when you do a bigger operation.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
that’s the beauty about hydro but there is also a risk. Things will fix fast but the drawback is that mistakes can cost you bad as well and things can go south just as fast.

Totally, I kinda like it that way. I watch the plants like a hawk, but what's always bothered me is the lack of control and difficulty diagnosing issues in soiless that has a CEC. I'm fairly confident my 24hr hiccup yesterday would have been a week long ordeal in soiless and I might not have been able to recover it so easily. But today everything is looking lush as hell. It's amazing to see the little leaves pop out, go in next day and it's now a large fully formed leaf. They're growing so fast now it's really blowing me away. Once they got over the transplant shock they took off like a rocket.

Judaz

Judaz

Totally, I kinda like it that way. I watch the plants like a hawk, but what's always bothered me is the lack of control and difficulty diagnosing issues in soiless that has a CEC. I'm fairly confident my 24hr hiccup yesterday would have been a week long ordeal in soiless and I might not have been able to recover it so easily. But today everything is looking lush as hell. It's amazing to see the little leaves pop out, go in next day and it's now a large fully formed leaf. They're growing so fast now it's really blowing me away. Once they got over the transplant shock they took off like a rocket.

What did you end up doing after all to fix it

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
What did you end up doing after all to fix it

Yeah, I think I fucked up and mixed up my watering jar with a jar that had an inch or so of dilute ph up in the bottom. Some must have mixed into the res when I scooped into it but the first plant I watered got most of it. It was up to ph 9, the rest were 7.1

I just rinsed with nutrient solution at 1ec and 5.5 ph until I had a stable 5.8-6 ph in the blocks. Plants looked better later on the same day. Today they are lush looking and the block shows ec and ph unchanged from yesterday.

The one plant that was up to 9 doesnt look so hot.. But hopefully itll recover.

Judaz

Judaz

Yeah, I think I fucked up and mixed up my watering jar with a jar that had an inch or so of dilute ph up in the bottom. Some must have mixed into the res when I scooped into it but the first plant I watered got most of it. It was up to ph 9, the rest were 7.1

I just rinsed with nutrient solution at 1ec and 5.5 ph until I had a stable 5.8-6 ph in the blocks. Plants looked better later on the same day. Today they are lush looking and the block shows ec and ph unchanged from yesterday.

Nice did you check individual ph of that high plant at 9. And so you didn’t even have to get rid of the excess water in cubes from rinse I assume? Rockwool won’t cause overwatering symptoms after roots settle from my experience.

Judaz

Judaz

The easiest way to fix rockwool issue is simply rinse at proper ec and ph and keep pouring until you start to see the ec and ph at the desired number. Really noting else to do but that. If there are other problems they have nothing to do with ec and ph inside rockwool. Thats why I love this medium. I dread the commercial guys who grow in coco or soil and have to haul pounds of dirt out of their place to setup new round. It sucks, sometimes takes a whole team of people and breaks your back. After harvest i stack all my cubes get rid of all the excess water and then put them in a black heavy duty trash bag. No need to clean pots and repot them and do the whole gumby and pokey show,

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nice did you check individual ph of that high plant at 9. And so you didn’t even have to get rid of the excess water in cubes from rinse I assume? Rockwool won’t cause overwatering symptoms after roots settle from my experience.

Yeah I took a syringe from each block and tested them individually, that's how I discovered the one with 9 ph, which happened to be the first plant I watered, which clued me in to the fact it was probably my ph up jar got in the mix accidentally.

The high plant took 3 liters to get down to 6ph, the rest of them only took 1 liter. And I'm running drain to waste, none of it gets reused.

Judaz

Judaz

Yeah I took a syringe from each block and tested them individually, that's how I discovered the one with 9 ph, which happened to be the first plant I watered, which clued me in to the fact it was probably my ph up jar got in the mix accidentally.

The high plant took 3 liters to get down to 6ph, the rest of them only took 1 liter. And I'm running drain to waste, none of it gets reused.

Run to waste is always safest for rinses. Be careful during flowering things can spike up real quick during flowering especially after week 4. And you’ll need to hit them at a much lower ec than usual to maintain ideal conditions in root zone. If you recirculate it’s not the case but you’ll need to top your res with water.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Run to waste is always safest for rinses. Be careful during flowering things can spike up real quick during flowering especially after week 4. And you’ll need to hit them at a much lower ec than usual to maintain ideal conditions in root zone. If you recirculate it’s not the case but you’ll need to top your res with water.

Yeah I plan to do a lot of testing throughout the grow to see what conditions in the block are. My goal at the moment is to maintain 1.5ec roughly through flower in the blocks, tapering it down to half and quarter strength the last couple weeks. Give or take depending on what they're using. If its spiking with 1.5 input I'll drop the ec.

Judaz

Judaz

Yeah I plan to do a lot of testing throughout the grow to see what conditions in the block are. My goal at the moment is to maintain 1.5ec roughly through flower in the blocks, tapering it down to half and quarter strength the last couple weeks. Give or take depending on what they're using. If its spiking with 1.5 input I'll drop the ec.

I max out at around 2 ec but sealed hyper room with co2 if you running fresh air not sealed 1.5-1.7 should be ideal depending on your strain.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I max out at around 2 ec but sealed hyper room with co2 if you running fresh air not sealed 1.5-1.7 should be ideal depending on your strain.

Yeah I'm just ventilated, no added Co2 and relatively low light compared to an enriched setup. I run 2 x 1000w HID in a semi stadium with an 8x8 footprint.

This was my last run during week 3 of flower, it was using proterra peat based soiless in fabrics. This was right before I accidentally toasted the stigmas with a damn hole in my sulphur burner cup, it was burning the sulphur right on the element rather than vaporizing it. Was meant to be the last burn of the cycle, Instead I gassed them with hydrogen sulfide and it stunted the bud growth...

16 plants total.

20190914 124142

Last edited:
Judaz

Judaz

Yeah I'm just ventilated, no added Co2 and relatively low light compared to an enriched setup. I run 2 x 1000w HID in a semi stadium with an 8x8 footprint.

This was my last run during week 3 of flower, it was using proterra peat based soiless in fabrics. This was right before I accidentally toasted the stigmas with a damn hole in my sulphur burner cup, it was burning the sulphur right on the element rather than vaporizing it. Was meant to be the last burn of the cycle, Instead I gassed them with hydrogen sulfide and it stunted the bud growth...

16 plants total.

View attachment 910815

That will work. I had a little room like that back in the day same idea 2 1000
Watt hps lumatek ballast over 8x4White Washington hoods air ducted. Fresh air intake. Used to get lights as close as 12 inch from tops. Used to get the biggest buds ever. Bigger than I do know with my sealed rooms but just not as dense. 2-2.5 per light consistent. Love those fresh air setups

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ever consider supplementing the surrounding 2 feet with more light? I would run 4 600’s in there. I would make up the cost with higher yield im pretty sure.

I have and do consider it often. i agree 4x 600's would be better, this layout was an experiment to use the most of what I could afford when I set it up. It's really just not happening because I cant afford the upgrade at the moment more than anything. I'll get there at some point. Between replacing the dehu, adding an AC, installing UV and irrigation etc, my shed upgrade fund has been depleted. But even as is I can pull about 4 pounds every 3 months. Sometimes less, I was getting about 3 when I first ran it. This last one could have been 4.5 without the fuckups..

But yeah, I think about it. I'm actually thinking of adding some of those 100w LED's Big Cube has going in his mini grow box. Sure looks like they work, could be just the ticket running 8 down each side.

Top Bottom