DIY advice sought

• Thread starter moodang5000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

moodang5000

Howdy all :) First post here!
I'm thinking about building a UC system of my own, and I have a few questions that I just can't seem to be able to find the answer for.

1. What kind of pump is used for the return pump? and what should the pump be rated for a small system (4x20gal Pods and a 20gal epicenter.)

2. Would a 2'' uniseal work in a rubbermaid trash can

3. I've been toying with the idea of displacing about 7 gallons of water by filling the bottom of the container with "something" but I'm kind of stuck and I don't even know if it would be worth it.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

DIY only 2"?

1. What kind of pump is used for the return pump? and what should the pump be rated for a small system (4x20gal Pods and a 20gal epicenter.)

Probably about a 500 Mag Drive

2. Would a 2'' uniseal work in a rubbermaid trash can

Trash can will likely be your weak link, get something stronger....besides if you're using a 20 gal you should be using no less than 3" IMO

3. I've been toying with the idea of displacing about 7 gallons of water by filling the bottom of the container with "something" but I'm kind of stuck and I don't even know if it would be worth it.

Just get a smaller container, whatever you use to displace the water will reduce the root zone capacity anyway....CC sells their 13 gallon modules you should consider hitting them up.

D

Dondirtbiker

Try badger container,, they sell the ez store conatiners, same as cc but white.. get the ap-100 air pump,, quiet and kicks out the air..you can find the pondmaster mag drive pumps on ebay for around 60 bucks..i would go 700gph for more movement..your uniseals will seal better with a flat thin surface compared to a rounded garbage can.
i built 2 complete 9 site setups for less than 1 cc site..better pumps 1200gph..and ap-100's for air ..9 inch diffusers for more jacuzzi action :)... go for it its so easy.

R

RMCG

ghettogro tried 3" uni's in mini brute trash cans, they just leaked and he had to switch to bulkhead fittings. Remember, the 3" uniseals require a 4" hole. The curvature of the bucket was too much.

I'm using the 27g tubs from HD and 2" uniseals. Working ok. New setup is utilizing 3" uniseals.

Agree with UCMENOW, look into the 13g modules from them, unless you really need the root space.

M

moodang5000

Well I thought I replied to this yesterday but apparently it didn't go through.

I figured that the trash cans would be too flimsy, but I have seen pictures of setups that used them, so I thought there might be a trick. The buckets seemed like a better idea anyways. I'm calling CC tomorrow to find out the prices, which if they reflect the prices of their complete systems, will probably be astronomical.

Z

zeropercentthc

moodang I think that until we get a certain number of posts, our postings are not submitted until being reviewed and accepted by a moderator. I've probably incidentally wrote the same post twice on different occasions on accident because of this, and some posts randomly apparently we're not approved. Just a heads up.

R

RMCG

Well I thought I replied to this yesterday but apparently it didn't go through.

I figured that the trash cans would be too flimsy, but I have seen pictures of setups that used them, so I thought there might be a trick. The buckets seemed like a better idea anyways. I'm calling CC tomorrow to find out the prices, which if they reflect the prices of their complete systems, will probably be astronomical.

Someone posted up in another thread that the 13g buckets are 46$, with uniseals.

Top Bottom