Diy Cob... Could Someone Walk Me Through What I Have To Order?

• Thread starter closet
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

closet

Did you order your parts? When you build the fixture post some pictures and let us know how it all turned out.

Dee

Thank you for asking. I did not order any COB's but instead a Folux Solutions Helios FH-120 kit with 288 Samsung S6 Bin Diodes... with their ongoing sale it was a nobrainer... I will post pics if you guys are interested.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Thank you for asking. I did not order any COB's but instead a Folux Solutions Helios FH-120 kit with 288 Samsung S6 Bin Diodes... with their ongoing sale it was a nobrainer... I will post pics if you guys are interested.

Got a link to that kit?

K

kansabis

So are these made with the same diodes as the hlg boards? Are they top bin or something lower? Not expecting anyone to know these answers but just what's going through my head cuz I heard that hlg buys up all the top bin diodes??...

DGP

DGP

They don't say which samsung diodes but they just say S6 bin. Also, the intensity diagram doesn't really say what the dimensions are of the footprint. The spectral output looks good and you could easily run then at 100 watts. I would prefer to buy them without the driver and just use a 320 watt driver for 3 panels or a 600 watt driver for 6 panels.

Dee

C

closet

They don't say which samsung diodes but they just say S6 bin. Also, the intensity diagram doesn't really say what the dimensions are of the footprint. The spectral output looks good and you could easily run then at 100 watts. I would prefer to buy them without the driver and just use a 320 watt driver for 3 panels or a 600 watt driver for 6 panels.

Dee

I will run them at 100 - 120w in my 2x2. Guess that will be much better than my shitty vipar 300 ;)

DGP

DGP

I will run them at 100 - 120w in my 2x2. Guess that will be much better than my shitty vipar 300 ;)

2 of them should cover the 2X2 footprint nicely and you may find you could run them at a lower power most of the time to match the plants needs. Only time I take mine to max is during flower and often I don't need to do that because I can just move the light closer to the canopy. Once the plants get really big (during the stretch) then is the time to raise the light and raise the power.

Dee

DGP

DGP

Sno,

No disrespect intended but that light suffers from the some same issues that a lot of commercial packaged systems have:

1. Small enclosure size. This means the light sources aren't far enough apart to properly distribute (spread ) the light. So, you get good brightness in the center of the footprint but it tapers off way to fast as you move outward form the center.

2. Drivers are inside the product enclosure meaning you can't put the heat source outside the tent or room.

3. Spectral output is mostly red and blue, low CRI, tends to be the blurple color distribution.

It costs too much to enlarge the enclosure or put the lights on a structure and then seperate the drivers. The designers assume people prefer a "packaged system" which is probably what people would prefer but the design then has severe limitations.

I believe there are a few factors driving the DIY market that a lot of us promote:

1. The cost of finished lights that do solve these issue like Spyder X and Timber are too high for many people's budget (not saying they aren't worth the money)
2. The option to locate the drivers outside the grow and keep that heat out of the grow room
3. The CRI, spectral accuracy. Some COBs are reaching 95-97 CRI
4. The versatility of being able to lay out a system that precisely matches the dimensions and needs of your grow space

Dee

Last edited:
Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Look I grew with MH & hps for years, and I understand the way these lights work, I switched over to led and got a 110veg master and a110 bloom booster, you are right about the lights footprint, the light is very bright and has great plant penatration, but I agree it is a 1 plant light, now I have a tent never even opens it, are you telling me they tents have no way to disperse heat? not that that light throws off alot, plus they make much better and much more expensive lights, it works great for me i love it but i set up in a closet, and beacuse I want to increase my grow I bought a cheap ass viperspecra 600w full speck reflector, why? Beacuse they claim it has good dispersal, dont care about anything but extra secondary veg light only wan to do 3 at a time, its called improvising, now if I had serious cash I would sit down and study everything there is to know about led light and make my choice, but thats not life, so you do the best you can you improvise and make the best of what you have and even if my light is not perfect im going to make it work just watch.

DGP

DGP

Look I grew with MH & hps for years, and I understand the way these lights work, I switched over to led and got a 110veg master and a110 bloom booster, you are right about the lights footprint, the light is very bright and has great plant penatration, but I agree it is a 1 plant light, now I have a tent never even opens it, are you telling me they tents have no way to disperse heat? not that that light throws off alot, plus they make much better and much more expensive lights, it works great for me i love it but i set up in a closet, and beacuse I want to increase my grow I bought a cheap ass viperspecra 600w full speck reflector, why? Beacuse they claim it has good dispersal, dont care about anything but extra secondary veg light only wan to do 3 at a time, its called improvising, now if I had serious cash I would sit down and study everything there is to know about led light and make my choice, but thats not life, so you do the best you can you improvise and make the best of what you have and even if my light is not perfect im going to make it work just watch.

Understand, I wonder though with the footprint the way it is what if someone were to use light movers, run the lights closer and spread the energy over the whole canopy? I have a light mover but stopped using it when I went to COBs and they do work. One thing about the CLW light is it is over $800 and for that one could buy a lot of quantum boards or COBs and setup something pretty killer for that budget.

Yeah, I have had to improvise for years, I feel like my grow room is very close to where I really wanted it finally. I have a good job but am responsible for a seriously ill person and a number of things in my life are extra difficult. At one time I got a second job just so I could get the things I needed to grow my medicine. My situation with my health is such that the grow is almost as important as anything else in the budget but have certainly worked hard to get it running at its best. I understand the struggle to setup and run a grow:)

Dee

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Bro I don't even know what a cob is, I just never studied led light, but you are absolutely right about the footprint, dispersal, and a hot spot, I never opened my tent but heat rises don't they have a vent on the top to disperse heat? And you are right again my light sucks in air thru the fan and dispersed out the side they got that backward, all i want is suplamentel veg light, every review I read said this is an excellent veg light with even dispersal, I hate to improvise but if I ever do decide to upgrade we will have to have a very long talk I can tell you know your lights your friend

DGP

DGP

Bro I don't even know what a cob is, I just never studied led light, but you are absolutely right about the footprint, dispersal, and a hot spot, I never opened my tent but heat rises don't they have a vent on the top to disperse heat? And you are right again my light sucks in air thru the fan and dispersed out the side they got that backward, all i want is suplamentel veg light, every review I read said this is an excellent veg light with even dispersal, I hate to improvise but if I ever do decide to upgrade we will have to have a very long talk I can tell you know your lights your friend

It isn't like they are terrible or unusable they just have limitations. Eventually the cost of all the various high performing systems like QB's and COBs will drop even more. It's now at about a dollar per watt (true power).

Dee

S

Sdfoster22

It isn't like they are terrible or unusable they just have limitations. Eventually the cost of all the various high performing systems like QB's and COBs will drop even more. It's now at about a dollar per watt (true power).

Dee

I can build a nice veg/flower light with 10 bridgelux eb vesta series. They are 90 cri and have both 2700k and 5000k. About 75w each spectrum. Maxed out it would be 148 true watts of about 3500k when both are maxed. Both spectrums will be dimmable separately. Total cost is $111. That's including 1" heatsink for all strips. They would be driven at about 50%.

DGP

DGP

I can build a nice veg/flower light with 10 bridgelux eb vesta series. They are 90 cri and have both 2700k and 5000k. About 75w each spectrum. Maxed out it would be 148 true watts of about 3500k when both are maxed. Both spectrums will be dimmable separately. Total cost is $111. That's including 1" heatsink for all strips. They would be driven at about 50%.

Pictures? I am interested in how you are building them.

Dee

S

Sdfoster22

Pictures? I am interested in how you are building them.

Dee
I haven't ordered them yet. I am still waiting on my first order to come in. Once I get started on this build I am going to have to order it. I just priced all the stuff on digikey and heatsink usa. Hopefully the prices doesn't shoot back up in the near future.

My current build will be 10 eb gen 2 strips at 3500k. All built around around a blurple. I found two cheap drivers that will run these nicely. They are from Thomas research products and come with 5 year warranty. Once I get the build going I'm going to take some pics. Have you been to the ledg site?

Top Bottom