DIY Electrical Outlets for grow room

• Thread starter LegalGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LegalGrow

LegalGrow

For those who might want to do their own electrical. I am doing mine during the build out and will include the steps. I am running about 30 outlets and a new 200 amp main breaker box.

First what you need before you start.

Tools: drill, screw drivers, wire strippers, carper knife, electrical tape, wire nuts, 1 inch hole cutter drill bit.
Project supplies:14 gauge indoor wire, outlet, outlet boxes and outlet covers.

Diy electrical outlets for grow room

First, I cut holes through studs where my wiring will be ran later.

Then, I mount all the boxes to my studs, and then mount the junction boxes close by (this is where I store the connections for each outlet box).
Diy electrical outlets for grow room 2

Next I put my wire through the box and connect my outlets.
Diy electrical outlets for grow room 3

I do black on the left, white on the right and green ground to the green screw.

Diy electrical outlets for grow room 4

Once my outlet is wired, I screw to the box very tightly.. not loose.

Diy electrical outlets for grow room 7

Next I connect the power wires (black to black, white to white and ground to ground) to all outlets for that outlet box. I twist them together with pliers, then wire nut, then electrical tape, THEN put in junction box and put on cover. Using junction box keeps any sparks from burning your insulation and your house/grow down.

Diy electrical outlets for grow room 5

When finished, each one should look clean. I also tape my wires together to make it nice and neat. Then you can drywall, insulate and have a nice setup.

Diy electrical outlets for grow room 6

Dunge

Dunge

Don't need that junction box.
Just chain the outlets together. That's what the two screws are for.
As for pre-twisting wires, then nuts, and then tape.
Are you just making this stuff up?

Don't strip too much insulation.

As to polarity, the black power leg goes to the smaller of the blade poles, white to the bigger common leg. So I think you got this one half right.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

@Dunge thanks, I will shoot you a msg if I have any problems with my outlets.. I have a feeling they will work just fine as they always do for me.. :)

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

Do ya need to twist em. Prob not.
Do ya need to tape em.
Prob not.
Need extra boxes.
Prob not.
Do ya need to NOT burn down your house.
Yea.
In this case a little overkill won't hurt a thing.
It's true, you can run outlets in a chain. Use the other screws. Just don't overload the breaker they are on.
Nice work.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

I actually used dunge's advice on my last few outlets and it worked great and saved a bit of time, so good addition to the thread. Never too old to learn some better steps! @Dunge thanks!

Dr.Trichome

Dr.Trichome

Btw. 120v switches polarity 60 times a second. Just keep the whites and blacks consistent. And watch ya don't overload the breakers.

Dunge

Dunge

Btw. 120v switches polarity 60 times a second. Just keep the whites and blacks consistent. And watch ya don't overload the breakers.
This here is the problem.
Single phase house power is simple, but not this simple.
120 V is derived from tapping half of a 240 V wave.
One of the poles in a power cable will always be common, or ground, or white insulation, or white metal.
Polarity is not important for many devices, but to those where it is important it can be very important.

If you are presented with industrial power (three phase) you will need to study and understand the wave.

I'm not trying to discourage home wiring. It just requires a little more study than one might wish.

sixstring

sixstring

White wire always goes to the silver screw, black goes to the brass colored screw.should be a Romex staple within 6 inches of where the wires enter the box if you really want it to meet codes.cool topic though.grow room electrical really should be top priority if we want to keep ourselves and families safe.

reloader

reloader

You have some serious elec. skill. Electricity scares me, but I got tired of pushing my luck and running extension cords to my grow so I don't trip breakers. I bought a used pwrbox from a elec salvage company for $200. Then I ran 4 gauge wire from my breaker box to my room, via attic (major bitch due to overkill insulation), and down the inside of the wall of grow room. My friend and I did all the prep work. Then I hired a electrician/friend to hkp both ends. It took him like 20 min. Now I have 50 amps right at grow room, with a built in timer. No more dual cheap ass 15 amp timers. Since I only run 4 lights I have plenty of pwr left over to run fans and other crap. I don't worry about overloading breakers any more. this thing is GFCI protected. I put a new 60 amp breaker in my box, and ran the wire to this box with a 50 amp, so I have double breakers as backup, much more reassuring.. And with the ammeter, I always know how many amps I'm using. I have a little sheetrock to patch, where we had to mount the box on the stud, and I cut to far. Easy fix though.

Don't mean to jack your thread, I just wanted to show how I did it, although I don't have anywhere near 200 amps, I could run (10) 1000 watt ballast on 240v.
Bgw1

Bgw
Pop1

Last edited:
R

Roskito

That a nice box but your still gonna have a jumble of chords running back to it right? I installed a 30 amp sub panel (I don't pull to many amps) and gave each outlet bank it's own breaker. So if my fans trip, water and lights will stay on. I put a bank near the res, one near my lights, and one near the vent for my fans. My chords are bundled together and it makes an easier environment to work in. I got the sub panel and outlets for $75 at home depot.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

@reloader cool, how many lights and what wattage are you running to have the 19 amps? Anyone know about how many amps a typical 1000 w uses?

@Roskito ' can you post a picture of your electric box you mention?

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Awsome thread, im not here just as of yet but this is some must know knowledge for anyone who cares about saftey!

slumdog80

slumdog80

@reloader cool, how many lights and what wattage are you running to have the 19 amps? Anyone know about how many amps a typical 1000 w uses?

@Roskito ' can you post a picture of your electric box you mention?

around 4.5 @ 240v and around 9 @ 120v

Latest posts

Top Bottom