Diy Gravity Watering System

• Thread starter Meakanu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Meakanu

Meakanu

I built a prety sweet watering system today and took some photos of what I did. Worked well!

Step 1: make sure you have a secure location on your ceiling to hang the system from. Like a ceiling joist.
Step 2: remove the little plastic rivit deals off the bottom of the 5galon bucket. These are there to keep the bottom from sagging.
Step 3: hang the bucket and add some weight inside of it trying to keep it centered. Use a heat gun on high. I doubt a hair dryer would be hot enough. Apply heat to the bottom of the bucket until it starts to sag. Let it cool or poor water into it to quickly quench.
Step 4: Get a drain plug, I got these from my local grow shop. Cut a hole in the center of the bucket about 1/8” smaller then the threads on the plug.
Step 5: use a tourch and heat/melt the edges of the hole. You want it super soft but not dripping. Simply screw your plug in. Your create threads on the bucket as you screw it in. Let it cool and unscrew it.
Step 6: grind the top lip of your plug down and cut slots into it. This will allow every drop of water in the bucket to go into the hose.
Step 7: wrap threads on plug with Teflon and a little pipe dope and screw it back in.
Step 8: add a hose and a valve and some sorta stiffer hose to the last 1-2ft. I simply slid some irrigation line over the 3/4” clear hose.
Step 9: test for leaks. I had a few leaks but I also didn’t use pipe dope because I didn’t have any. So I plastic welded the drain plug to the bucket. Not necessariy if you got silicon and or pipe dope. But I improvised.
Step 10: use it!

Diy gravity watering system
Diy gravity watering system 2
Diy gravity watering system 3
Diy gravity watering system 4
Diy gravity watering system 5
Diy gravity watering system 6
Diy gravity watering system 7
Meakanu

Meakanu

Sorry photos arnt I’m the correct order. If anyone wants to give it a go please feel free to ask any questions on its construction.
This forum has been very helpful to me and I’m hoping to be able to give back a little.

Dunge

Dunge

I admire the DIY effort, but plumbing is a largely settled technology, and you have little fall back options when this starts to leak.

Gaskets are the purpose built devices I use.
My bucket has a $6 toilet float and valve in place of your fitting.
Hooked it up to a hose, and the bucket stays full.
Tap off water any place above the low water line.

I use this as a water source for Blumat watering devices.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Gasket schmasket. That's a lot of work for a weak link.
And not necessary. Mo' betta, use siphon power.

Went to the eclipse in August, had no one to take care of my harem.

Bought some blumats. Then thought about water supply.
Our tap water has a PH of ~8.4, so could not use a direct feed.
That and our water pressure is very high here.
A leak would be an unlimited disaster.

Was only gone for 8 days so I filled 2, 1 gallon jugs with 50:50 rain and tap water, (to correct the PH), and put them on a high shelf.

Poked a 3/8th inch hose into each jug to the bottom, duct taped them in place,and attached them to the blumats from both ends. Conditioned the blumats, then primed the siphon.
Just in case of an uneven feed, I filled a 1/4 inch hose with water and connected the two jugs with it. That assured even draining.
Jughead

Air pressure kept it running all week the blumats metered it, and there was about 8 ounces of water left in each jug when I got back.
No drill, no heat, no gasket, no glue, minimum risk.

Next time, ask a lazy guy. :)

Aloha,
Wee 'zard

Top Bottom