DIY ISO oil production

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

Not sure if this is where to put this or not so any moderators please feel free to move the thread if its more appropriate somewhere else ;)

This is how I make ISO oil (99% isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol)

I took an oil pressure cooker and did some modifications to it. Don't worry as to the safety of this as it will no longer be used as a pressure vessel.

I obtained one from a flea market for 5.00

first I got rid of the bypass/safety valve by putting a bolt through is that was sealed with silicone.
Oops I forgot ...this was all I needed to do to this! Here is pic of the pressure cooker.

bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to picking the pressure cookers size. It is the surface of the liquid inside that determines how much evaporates at a given rate, not the depth.

Pressure cooker
budboy299

budboy299

From the very top spigot of the pressure cooker I ran a plastic tube (I love you home depot!) over to the evaporator.

This is simply a new (or used) paint can that I bought from Home depot for 3 dollars and change.

I also purchased a roll of copper tubing (I think it was 3/8") which was 10 feet long. This is found in the plumbing/refrigeration section and is easily found.

I made a coil out of the copper by bending it around a smaller paint can.

I then drilled 2 holes in the new paint can, the same diameter as the copper tube. The bottom end of the tube I pushed through the lower hole about 2" and soldered it in place. The top end of the tube goes though the top hole about 2" and is soldered as well.

This creates the condensor and needs to be watertight as we will fill it with cold water.

I attached the plastic tube from the pressure cooker to the topmost end of the copper tube in the condensor. Then I ran another plastic exit tube from the bottom spigot on the condensor to my overflow jug.

Condenser
budboy299

budboy299

with this closed system you can reclaim better than 90% of the isopropyl that you started with. This makes it extremely economical to do.
Also...most of the people who blow themselves and their houses up, do so because they were allowing the alcohol to simply evaporate into the air in their house.

Darwin would say this in simply an example of evolution keeping the race strong but I still feel bad for exploded people.

Reclaiming
budboy299

budboy299

So here is what I do....

I crumble up all my shake and put into a big cooking pot or pail. The shake should be bone dry for this as any water will simply be left in the finished product.
Then I pour the isopropyl threw it. I sometimes allow it to sit for a few minutes before I strain it off. THC is alcohol soluable so most THC will be picked up fairly quickly and carried off with the Isopropyl. Sadly....Chlorophyll is also alcohol soluable. So the longer you let the mixture sit...the more it sucks up the green chlorophyll as well and this can be quite harsh.

Once the liquid is poured off....I dump it into the pressure cooker. This is not a super fast process so no need to fill the pressure cooker more than an inch or so deep. You can always add to it! The pressure cooker is not under any great amount of pressure.

Once the pressure cooker has the liquid in it (This part is very important)
place the cooker into an electric fry pan that is filled with water. NEVER NEVER do iso or any kind of solvents near open flames. It will kill you eventually in the resulting explosion!
We are simply taking the water in the electric fry pan up to the boiling point. The isopropyl will start to boil off just a little bit before the water because it has a lower boiling point. hahaha that made sense!

attach the tube from the top of the pressure cooker to the top port of you condensor. Fill condensor with cold water. You could even throw some ice cubes in there. I found though that eventually the water in the condensor heats up from having the iso vapors flowing though it. So I usually just change the water every hour or so.

connect the tube from the condensor's lower spigot to an overflow jug. Pure 99% iso will come out into the jug. ISO will never be 100% as it will always have moisture from the surrounding air into it.

Keep adding and cooking down your solution till it is almost a paste. package it up in a baby food jar or whatever and mmmmm mmmm good!

budboy299

budboy299

Some times if I left the isopropyl on the shake too long (read fell asleep from being too stoned) I will still condense it down till it is dry, then smear it onto a coffee filter. Then I throw it into my BHO tube and run the butane through it. Butane is pricier so I am still saving by doing 90% of the work with the ISO.

Last season we ran just over 25 lbs of shake and got a ton of oil

oil anyone???

Oil
K

kansasgrown

Very interesting. You basically made a still. hmmm I guess I could set one up myself...Thanks.

Ghostwolf

Ghostwolf

This is great, I've waited for someone to think of something like this.

S

Smokin

Darwin would say this in simply an example of evolution keeping the race strong but I still feel bad for exploded people.
LOL LOL THCfarmer at its best... premo sh-- and saving lives. Thanks for sharing awesome setup Budboy299!

R

Rolln J

I also been wanting to make some tinctures...

correct to assume I could use the same method for evaporating / concentrating the tincture?

D

doubleds

Not sure if this is where to put this or not so any moderators please feel free to move the thread if its more appropriate somewhere else ;)

This is how I make ISO oil (99% isopropyl alcohol aka rubbing alcohol)

I took an oil pressure cooker and did some modifications to it. Don't worry as to the safety of this as it will no longer be used as a pressure vessel.

I obtained one from a flea market for 5.00

first I got rid of the bypass/safety valve by putting a bolt through is that was sealed with silicone.
Oops I forgot ...this was all I needed to do to this! Here is pic of the pressure cooker.

bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to picking the pressure cookers size. It is the surface of the liquid inside that determines how much evaporates at a given rate, not the depth.

excellent thread bro, now i just have to make a dd's sized one !! lolol

many thanks

dds

FaderVader

FaderVader

That was actually a new thing for me !_! nice DIY thanks for sharing

M

Montannabis

You might run the condensed product thru activated charcoal. Just a suggestion. Peace Montannabis

Top Bottom