DIY LED with COBs - small medium and large grows

• Thread starter SupraSPL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C21H26O2

C21H26O2

Yes that sounds about right.

Was lucky enough to get my hands on some of the biggest the CXA3590. These are the top bin 5000K (150W) COBs. I installed them on Arctic CPU coolers 92mm fan. The $3 driver on the left runs at 250mA. The COB puts out of 200 lumens/W at that current. The drtiver on the right is adjustable from 100mA to 650mA. At 650mA it dissipates about 50W.
View attachment 417100

This is amazing, I'm using LEDs for my personal garden and am enjoying the results. Where can I learn how to put togethera COB lighting system, how the compenents work and how to assemble. Please teach me the ways of the force.

Thanks

C21H26O2

C21H26O2

Not sure how cobs work so I would like to learn about them some more

seaslug

seaslug

This is amazing, I'm using LEDs for my personal garden and am enjoying the results. Where can I learn how to put togethera COB lighting system, how the compenents work and how to assemble. Please teach me the ways of the force.
Thanks

This site brought me up to speed: I looked into building my own discrete LED light a few years ago but bought Lumigrows instead. They are being retired as I build more COB luminaires.

sixstring

sixstring

Wondering where you were at with this comparison? more 1050 or 1400

Been to busy to really do anything at home.i did build a 4 x 75w fixture using 72v cree and the 1050ma drivers.its bright as hell and im glad i went dimmable because you dont want to work around or under it on full power lol.
My next project will be 2700k fixtures with a few 3000k on the middle bar and some 5000k on the outer bars.but i will prob stick with 1050ma on those and hang them right beside the bars i have now for a proper side by side

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Been to busy to really do anything at home.i did build a 4 x 75w fixture using 72v cree and the 1050ma drivers.its bright as hell and im glad i went dimmable because you dont want to work around or under it on full power lol.
My next project will be 2700k fixtures with a few 3000k on the middle bar and some 5000k on the outer bars.but i will prob stick with 1050ma on those and hang them right beside the bars i have now for a proper side by side
I read somewhere i believe in green genes thread something about them testing 3000 k , they found was not even worth it i can't remember what it was but it clearly showed that anyone should not even bother 3500 k is starting point
when building Diy Cobs
Cause i was thinking of making some mixed spectrum 3000 - 6500 k
now there 3500 k and up

sixstring

sixstring

Yeah i have seen all those topics on color temps and all i will say is i will need to see for myself lol.imo and in my garden I'm seeing very short plants under 3500k.if the 2700k gives me a lil more stretch and the same trich production ill be happy.
Alot of these guys speak so highly of the 3500k because it is good for all stages of growth. I dont need s veg light. Weed likes more red during flower imo but we shall see i guess lol

robomont

robomont

a gram of smoke cost around 10$
50 watts per sg foot at around 100 dollars a square foot for setup of led cob.10 harvest before return on investment.
sure hps will cost more due to heat but around 12.5$ a sqft.for setup.so 2 grows pays for the light.seems for the average joe,hps is still the overall best setup.
heat works great in winter,so only other cost really is summer a/c or vent fan.
am i missing something here?

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

50 watts per sg foot at around 100 dollars a square foot for setup of led cob.10 harvest before return on investment.
sure hps will cost more due to heat but around 12.5$ a sqft.for setup.so 2 grows pays for the light.seems for the average joe,hps is still the overall best setup.
Wrong 200w of CXB3590 will replace 400w of HPS and the setup would be around $400 and misc parts would be another $50 at most and 200w if you knew what you are doing will get you about a 1/2lb so it would pay for itself the first grow.

robomont

robomont

why is that.are the light frequencies more accurate for growing than hps?

robomont

robomont

oh and thankyou for the link.that tutorial keeps it real simple.

sixstring

sixstring

yeah i dont get your math.i have about 1200.00 into my 3 bar cob setup and the first plant i pulled under it was a new strain for me that yielded 10.5 oz and @250.00 per oz i think im covered on those leds.plus the second plant looks to be a solid pound or more so idk,seems legit as hell to me.i woulda had the same size plant in that spot 4 months ago but it was being lit up by 2 x 600w hps on a mover and now its being lit by 540w of cobs instead of 1200w of fireballz :)

MeJuana

MeJuana

You changed the way I look at L.E.D. completely!! I want to try L.E.D. but I'm not looking to marry it I am just looking for a date. But even building a 2 x 3590 lamp starts to get expensive fast. But not if I use a 3070, a cpu cooler, with few dollar driver and just run one light!!

You gave me knowledge I couldn't have figured out on my own. I have a box of cpu coolers! I have a pile of old computers too. First thing first, a 4 dollar cloner light to get my feet wet.

THANK YOU SO MUCH BROTHER!!

Toaster79

Toaster79

You changed the way I look at L.E.D. completely!! I want to try L.E.D. but I'm not looking to marry it I am just looking for a date. But even building a 2 x 3590 lamp starts to get expensive fast. But not if I use a 3070, a cpu cooler, with few dollar driver and just run one light!!

You gave me knowledge I couldn't have figured out on my own. I have a box of cpu coolers! I have a pile of old computers too. First thing first, a 4 dollar cloner light to get my feet wet.

THANK YOU SO MUCH BROTHER!!

You'll get married soon mate ;)

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
yeah i dont get your math.i have about 1200.00 into my 3 bar cob setup and the first plant i pulled under it was a new strain for me that yielded 10.5 oz and @250.00 per oz i think im covered on those leds.plus the second plant looks to be a solid pound or more so idk,seems legit as hell to me.i woulda had the same size plant in that spot 4 months ago but it was being lit up by 2 x 600w hps on a mover and now its being lit by 540w of cobs instead of 1200w of fireballz :)

Getting my feet wet with LED thanks to you! This is the one I am going to snag from Pacificlightingconcepts.

R

Rodrighazzo

Hello guys I'm new here, I've been reading so I can understand how to make a led panel made of COBs.
The indoor space that I'll use is 50x90x180cm (that's 1,64x2,95x5,9 feet) for 6 plants of 10 liters each pot.
So, reading Supra and some other forums, I decided to use:
6x CXB 3070 (the AB ones since are the only ones useful that appears on Digikey)
3x 100/120W drivers (the idea is to run the COBs at 1.4a with 35v aprox and use 2 Cobs per driver, so I can build it a bit cheaper)
2x Aluminium heatsinks (the ones that Supra reccomends) but in 27" length.
2x 140mm Fans (if it is neccesary I'll use 2 fans per heatsink)
1x Thermal grease, any version of Artic Silver thermal grease will be fine for me.

Any suggestions?
Because I am not sure if this idea will be fine. (never used Led and I always wanted to use it)
Is it enough for 6 autoflowering plants?
Are the COBs gonna overheat with that setup?
Also, I am not sure how can I know if a driver will be power efficient. I've been searching different models of Mean Well but not sure which model should I use.

Cheers from Argentina!

sixstring

sixstring

thats a tough chip for drivers with the 1400ma current you chose.why not get a better chip and driver?you'll pay a bit more for start up but get better eff and more lumens from the setup. like right now you can find the cxb 3590 for about 40 bucks each and a meanwell 320 series driver will run all 6 chips.heres the driver data im talking about http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=hlg-320h-c
plus for the heatsinks we have better options now with the round pin style heatsinks,you can use a 140mm x 80mm heatsink like this and they come predrilled for a few dif cob holders. https://northerngrowlights.com/products/sst140-heatsink?variant=20640814916 if you decide to contact northern ask him about the cobs,he may have the 3590 cree as well.if you went this route you wont need fans for the heatsinks that driver i linked will also power all 6 of those 3070 chips you chose if you still wanted to use the cheaper chips.

R

Rodrighazzo

Hey sixstring, thanks for the quick reply.
I sent him a message asking if he has got in stock the 3590 and he hasn't, but he told me about a page that they have stock (cobkits.com), however, they only have in stock the 3500k, and I think that I need 3000k for autoflowering plants...
Also, is this the driver that You said should I buy? HLG-320H-C1400 (1400mA / 320.6W / 234V) so I can run them at 1.4amp?

Thanks again for Your help!

Top Bottom