DIY LED with COBs - small medium and large grows

• Thread starter SupraSPL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DarkSide

DarkSide

You really shouldn't have more than 6000w of lights with a 2.5 ton ac and if ita a sealed room with propane co2 then 5000w is about max for that ac unit.
Yes the client know this and is why he is seeking LED solution up here in Canada we get 8 months of cold

DarkSide

DarkSide

ok then if your planning to fill that entire spot with plants i would run 50 cobs min but it calls for 60-64. i think 50 will light it up real nice and be better than 3 x 1000w ime running cobs even softer than your plan.thats alot of coin i know but do what you can and just add more as you can afford to.with these numbers i would email jerry@kingbright,he has cobs,holders,heatsinks,and drivers.all you would need is some aluminum for your frames.
I have calculated 66 cobs and figured I missed something am wondering if I suggested we split the room and installed 2 light movers traveling half the room each. Before I build I figure a good plan is in order

sixstring

sixstring

I have calculated 66 cobs and figured I missed something am wondering if I suggested we split the room and installed 2 light movers traveling half the room each. Before I build I figure a good plan is in order
well if you keep your cobs 8 to 10 inches off the walls all the way around you could put 55 to 55 cobs in the spot and grow very well and still be about 12 inches on center with your cobs.i dont think a mover is as usefull with cob based lighting because you have so many points of light already.i run movers with hps and love them for what im doing but dont think i would gain anything using them with my cobs

mandalaman

mandalaman

Hi there everyone. I have a new 4x4 tent on the way and am leaning towards a DIY COB.
This is my idea for 8COB, 600W light.

1xMeanWell HLG-600H-36 Driver
8xCXB3590 32v 3500k plus ideal holder and reflector with heatsink attached

That should have each COB running at 2.1A (~75w each) for a total of ~600w and 37.5w/sqft. According to the calculator this will have the CXB3590 running at almost 50% efficiency.

Is this a viable plan?

2 x MAU5-IV-NPS Grow Kit - $~550

1 x MeanWell HLG-600H-36B Driver - $~200
https://cobkits.com/product/meanwell-hlg-600h-36b/

It looks like that would give you a 600W CXB3590 Grow light for around $750 plus the aluminum frame for mounting... Seems like a good option. I am sure I am doing some sort of calculation incorrectly though :o

I appreciate any help/insight/guidance.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
T

TRK

Nice thread guys

I don't get around these parts often but have found my way back here researching COB lighting

I recently embarked down this road myself, working with Kingbrite, and will have in a day or two 12 x CXB3590 CD 3500K, will run them at 1400mA (3 x HLG185-C1400A), all passive cooled pin sinks, for a total of 615w or something once you factor in driver losses. All in delivered from China to Europe with shipping inside a week (TNT), this will cost about 850 USD total, if that gives you some idea on the price @mandalaman, mount them on rail is maybe another fifty bucks max depending on where you live and what tools you already have laying around the house, if you have to buy killawatt or soldering irons etc it's gonna be more the first time you build one obviously

I'm really excited about it, have been eyeing COB for a long time. I'm a HPS guy currently, with little electronics experience beyond that of most growers I suppose. But yeah COB wiring in series is so simple that an eight year old could do it safely

I'll let you know how it goes fellas; I'm getting ahead of myself

Thanks to all those that keep propelling the COB tech forward, apart from the high start up cost it seems fairly unbeatable in every aspect by any other light tech that exists to be honest in a watt by watt comparison of PPFD etc. I was stubborn two years ago when i first saw it, but I saw the light eventually, no pun intended

If it goes well I will replace all my HPS with it probably. But the proof is in the pudding, and the front end costs are nothing to be sniffed at, even if you grow weed

T

TRK

Just a quick update

COB is laying down the murder game on the HPS, lighting almost twice as much room with plants performing equally, total on the 3 unit rig is 675w, growing like 1000 HPS at least I think

There's gonna be more of these in my future if they keep it up like this through flower, guaranteed

We'll see how they do it, I may even post a cheeky pic or two later

Good times all
TRK

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Sounds like a plan.
Look forward to your "cheeky" (butt??) pics!!
In my little cab the 100 watts of cree 3590s are Makeing the Dragon Breath explode with craziness.
Just hoping they stop streatcheing!!!!

sixstring

sixstring

Just a quick update

COB is laying down the murder game on the HPS, lighting almost twice as much room with plants performing equally, total on the 3 unit rig is 675w, growing like 1000 HPS at least I think

There's gonna be more of these in my future if they keep it up like this through flower, guaranteed

We'll see how they do it, I may even post a cheeky pic or two later

Good times all
TRK
post the cheeky pics :woot:

E

Esoptron

Hello everyone, first post by an occasional lurker of a few years now. I'm setting up a 4x8 tent and have been scrutinizing all manner of media to determine the most cost effective high quality lighting I can. Thus far, the DIY cob route appears unassailable in its position. I've built one already (8 3590@400w passive), but looking to expand horizons. I've got a couple questions still however...

My current design in progress would call for another three such units, resulting in 32 3590 (3500k) driven at 50w each. Is this massive overkill here? It would be marginally more cost effective to run them at half that value, but I could also just dim them and have the extra power on hand.

My other question being, is there some sort of major advantage performance wise in using top prebuilts such as PLC over the DIY builds in the form of proprietary components/geometry going on that would warrant such extra expense if one were capable and had the time to DIY?

I've looked at the timber kits, but according to my simple calculations, I would be spending about over twice as much as ordering the components from Kingbrite. Is there something I'm missing that would skew ones favour towards these kits? (6 of the 400w Cree kits would cost $2,400)... Whereas to simulate those kits at Kingbrite would be around $1,300 (16 cobs, 16 140mm pin fins, 6 mw hlg-185h). I don't mind spending the extra dough provided the performance at least somewhat scales with the price.

E

Esoptron

Can't find the edit option, so to correct my above post, I meant to say 24 cobs and 24 pin sinks, not 16. Which comes out, with the 6 drivers, to roughly $1,540.

sixstring

sixstring

Can't find the edit option, so to correct my above post, I meant to say 24 cobs and 24 pin sinks, not 16. Which comes out, with the 6 drivers, to roughly $1,540.
yeah its always going to be way cheaper to build it then it will to just buy plug n play stuff.those guys at timber and pacific light aint making that much money for what they are making.the plc fixtures are top of the line imo.but your plan to buy all the parts from jerry is a good one.that or price out timbers fixtures using vero gen7 cobs or the shitizens if ya wanna save a few bucks.for that 4 x 8 i would build out 6 bars of 5 cobs each @ 50 w per cob,like you said use dimmers in case you wanna dim.1500w of cree in that tent will crush it.

E

Esoptron

Many thanks for replying, Sixstring.

I already have the one 400w unit, so I figured another three such would yield me 50w/sqft. I had originally thought to use three 315s in there, but running the numbers, it would be almost the same exact figure to just fill it with Cree. Am I right in assuming with that much power, I wouldn't need reflectors or lenses? My grow will be living soil and mainlined indicas in ten gallon pots... Thinking eight to ten of them.

Just as a curiosity, how many PLC 420s would optimize that space, 3? They look good, and I certainly cannot turn up any negative opinions about them. I'm all about supporting quality manufacturers, but I love putting shit together myself too, heh. DIY most definitely does save the cash...I designed and built my offgrid solar system myself and saved an unbelievable amount of money and got better components than had I gone the preassembled and professionally installed route. Plus, you get a thorough understanding of the system by doing it yourself, and it's hard to put a price on that.

T

TRK

So yeah, works pretty good IMHO

DSC03012
DSC03013
DSC03019

that's at 17 days 12/12. The COB is spread over the front and middle rows, 675w. The 600w HPS (actual draw about 640w) is lighting the back row with some overspill into the middle row. Canopy from leaf tip to leaf tip is at about 225 x 175cm right now

I feel KB can't be beat when talking prices, shipping is kinda murder, but on a big kit it doesn't factor in when you consider every part you use is that much cheaper from KB usually. maybe in the States it's different, but in Europe I reckon KB all the way. They really act like professionals too by the way and know their shit

I will be building more of this, guaranteed; should it continue like this at least

Thanks to all those that did for finally opening my eyes, took a while, I was a stubborn HPS guy and naysayer for a really long time LOL

nice one
TRK

E

Esoptron

Nice looking canopy, bud. I'm placing a big order with Jerry this week myself, and I'm wondering if you, or anyone else for that matter, uses that dimmer he's got listed for around $14... The one which looks like it includes a remote. I asked him about it, and he said it can run multiple drives... Just wondering if this is true and how one wires it with more than one diver.

Also, any informed guesses as to how a 50w/ft Cree tent (4x8) will do for mainlining some indica dominant plants? I know the penetration is not that of the big HPS setups, but this will be my first go at mainlining... Figuring 8-10 plants in 10 gallon smart pots. Would this be a suitable strategy in conjunction with the cobs, or am I better off sogging it up?

T

TRK

Nice looking canopy, bud. I'm placing a big order with Jerry this week myself, and I'm wondering if you, or anyone else for that matter, uses that dimmer he's got listed for around $14... The one which looks like it includes a remote. I asked him about it, and he said it can run multiple drives... Just wondering if this is true and how one wires it with more than one diver.

Also, any informed guesses as to how a 50w/ft Cree tent (4x8) will do for mainlining some indica dominant plants? I know the penetration is not that of the big HPS setups, but this will be my first go at mainlining... Figuring 8-10 plants in 10 gallon smart pots. Would this be a suitable strategy in conjunction with the cobs, or am I better off sogging it up?

I just saw that dimmer for the first time today myself actually, definitely interesting. I don't know anyone that has used it unfortunately...

I would think you would manage fine, my COBs are about 40cm apart, 1400mA and kept anywhere from 12-24 inches from canopy so far. There's 12, they light roughly 65% or so of my 225 x 175cm canopy. Those plants are very thick and bushy, I have read about COB having a penetration problem, but I just haven't found that to be the case so far. Think maybe it gets said because it's LED people think it's more like discreet diodes but COB is a different animal and LED tech has come a long way in the last few years anyway.

Hang on a minute... Did you say 50w COB per ft2? wouldn't that be 32 x 50w for a total of 1600w? that does kinda seem like slight overkill to me and that you could get away with less, but perhaps I am just really high and missing the point? LOL in any case I am certainly not qualified enough to tell you how to proceed one way or another, but yeah if using top bin Cree chips for example that will certainly exceed the output of 2 x 1000w DE HPS by the numbers I think. When you factor in the uniformity gained from multiple points of light and a lot less reflector losses it won't even be a competition anymore.

This has been the most impressive change I have made in my room for quite some time, when you consider all factors entirely. will work out to be a worthy investment

E

Esoptron

Oh yea,I had already built an 8 cob (3590) 400w fixture last year and grew a few plants with it, and they grew compact and super dense... Just all solid colas with zero larf, but they were also auto diesels in 1 gallon pots. Then my focus switched to the outdoor season, which took all my time and then some. Now I'm back on the indoor grow to expand it by adding another three such modules... So, no, you didn't read that wrong... It will be 32 Cree in that 4x8 driven by 8 MW 700s for a maximum output of 1.6kw. As I don't know what this will do at full power, I'm certainly putting a dimmer function in. I have one of those dimmers on order, so we will see if one can control the entire string. That would be nice.

I figure that having more available power is better than less, and I'm going to fashion a sliding mechanism into the aluminum L frames (with extra wire leads lengths) to allow for module extension/retraction on two planes (per fixture) just for versatility of footprint and further "dialing in" options.

It's heartening to see such positive results being posted, including yours. Dropping over $2k on a light fixture for that size coverage is certainly exorbitant.

Not a great picture, but this was typical of those auto diesels under the cobs... Each one was about an ounce and half or so...for such a small plant, I was fairly impressed.

IMG 20160525 102113
O

OrganicMiner

Depending on the COB you use 50W/ft2 will result in about 25W PAR (at least with my citi-1212 @1.4A). That is enough to give you 1400 PPFD, which of course is height dependent. Then you add a dimmer which allows you to dial it back to the sweet spot of your plants.

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

Hello everyone
I'm new to this page and am going to give diy lighting a shot just want to make sure on the right path. Is the lighting setup for my 2 rooms adequate or to much? All are 36v and will be running on meanwell 240 drivers
8x6 Veg room 10 3590 cobs(6 5k and 4 4k)
8x8 flower room 20 3590 3500k

i would do 15 cobs for 4x4 in flwr

Depending on the COB you use 50W/ft2 will result in about 25W PAR (at least with my citi-1212 @1.4A). That is enough to give you 1400 PPFD, which of course is height dependent. Then you add a dimmer which allows you to dial it back to the sweet spot of your plants.

i never use the dimmer, it's always 100% am i missing out on something?

E

Esoptron

i never use the dimmer, it's always 100% am i missing out on something?[/QUOTE]

It's like my ole grandpappy used to say to me..."Espotron, it's better to have a dimmer and not need it than to need a dimmer and not have one"

Dimmers can help you dial in ideal conditions, especially in a tent or other highly confined space. Plus, they are pretty cheap, so why not? For my part, I'm going to design and build a microprocessor control box at some point with a timer function which will gradually increase power in the morning and then taper off at night. I plan to include Far red and Royal blue strings to simulate riding and setting effects on that same dimming timer unit as well.

sixstring

sixstring

that dimmer he has looks kickass.not sure how many drivers it will run because its listed at 720w max but that might be a typo idk.but yeah for under 15 bucks if you can just run 2 drivers per thats still pretty sweet lookin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom