DIY LED with COBs - small medium and large grows

• Thread starter SupraSPL
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

hmmm, that's interesting because I was going to run 8 36V COBs on the the hlg 480H-C-1400b in COB holders, I'll have to look into this!!
Yeah the ideal cob holders are rated for 250v max and 4 amps.its not hard to solder the wires if your dead set on the larger drivers.that new 480 is a beast plus you can dim to off where most of the meanwells only dim to like 5 or 10% power.

G

Gherb

hmmm, that's interesting because I was going to run 8 36V COBs on the the hlg 480H-C-1400b in COB holders, I'll have to look into this!!

Yeah that does change things a bit. I can solder but would prefer not to.

I have question about efficiency. I was looking at that hlg 480H-C-1400b and was wondering if using the 480H to power 8 cobs but dimmed down to 40 watts per cob has a negative or positive impact on the efficiency of the driver and/or cob?

sixstring

sixstring

The cob gains eff when dimmed but the driver does not.i believe that 480 driver is best run @ 240v or 208/277v
My thoughts is buy a driver you can run wide open.these dimmable drivers put out more than 100% if you leave the dim leads capped off or install a rocker switch on the dim leads so you can turn it off .thats how i did most of mine.only time i dim is when im taking a plant down for processing. Otherwise them fuckers are running 108% haha.

G

Gherb

The cob gains eff when dimmed but the driver does not.i believe that 480 driver is best run @ 240v or 208/277v
My thoughts is buy a driver you can run wide open.these dimmable drivers put out more than 100% if you leave the dim leads capped off or install a rocker switch on the dim leads so you can turn it off .thats how i did most of mine.only time i dim is when im taking a plant down for processing. Otherwise them fuckers are running 108% haha.

That makes sense. So what driver and how many do you recommend to run 16 cobs at 35 to 40 watts?

C

C labb

New to post but long time reader. Six string, you say you can "leave them capped off" or add a toggle switch. Your saying complete the circuit and cap them off together right? I'm using a hlg-150h-36b but don't need the dimmer. does the toggle need to be suited for the 36v output or the 110v input from the wall? Thanks. On my second diy with help from this feed, first dimmable driver.

sixstring

sixstring

New to post but long time reader. Six string, you say you can "leave them capped off" or add a toggle switch. Your saying complete the circuit and cap them off together right? I'm using a hlg-150h-36b but don't need the dimmer. does the toggle need to be suited for the 36v output or the 110v input from the wall? Thanks. On my second diy with help from this feed, first dimmable driver.

No dont tie them together. You either cap both leads with tape,wire nut,wago ect or you hook up a dimming pot and put the toggle on either side,i like to put the toggle on the positive side so red wire goes to toggle,then small wire from toggle to dim pot.neg wire goes right to pot.toggle only needs to be rated to 10v which is what the dim leads are 0 to 10 v.but i used a standard automotive toggle for 12v lighting.

sixstring

sixstring

That makes sense. So what driver and how many do you recommend to run 16 cobs at 35 to 40 watts?
16 is a goody number for me lol.all my shit is wired for 5 cobs per driver except the one shitizen panel i have and a few 4 bangers.for groups of 5 cobs use the 185-1050,its cheap and awesome.for groups of 5@ 50w per cob use the 240-1400ma
For groups of 4 cobs you can use 185-1050ma for 35w or 1400ma for 50w.or for even more power youcan put 4 x 3590 on a hlg-240-1750 for 62w per cob and dim to whatever.guys remember even at 62w per cob these setups will be much more efficient than any hps light and will absolutely crush any mars type panel in eff and performance. I have quite a few 4 x cree panels running the 62w per and those are up off the plants about 20 inches and you get awesome coverage.

sixstring

sixstring

4 banger @1750ma
20170507 184945

5 banger @ 1400ma
20170507 185031

5 banger @ 1050 ma
20170324 190342cake

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I was looking at building an 18 COB system (two 9x9 units) for my 4x8 tent. I believe you can run 9 36v CREE COBs on one HLG-480 drivers.

Then I was going to add photo-red and far-red and ramp them them up and down at the appropriate times... THEN, I checked my bank account and decided to see if I can grow one plant under one 8W LED lightbulb from HomeDepot :drunk:

I REALLY need to STOP watching those GrowMau5 videos ;)

C

ChunkySkunky

Here's a safety question that's been bugging me.

With all of that metal framework/heatsink hanging around, does anyone earth the framework back to the mains power socket or the driver chassis?

My thinking here is that if the worst happened and the frame of the light were to somehow become live it would trip the breaker box.

sixstring

sixstring

lots of guys run a ground from the plugs ground to the frame/fixture i did a few lights that way,then got to thinking about mixing a/c and d/c grounds and decided to stop doing it lol. the ground from plug to driver should be enough.the meanwell drivers have tons of built in safety features.i wired a cob backwards once and when i plugged in the unit it just clicked.took me an easy 30 mins to hunt down the problem but i knew it had to me my shotty wiring

C

ChunkySkunky

That's what I thought, thanks.

I've not got the drivers yet (they are in the mail, expected on Friday) but I'm assuming the case will be earthed. I'll just tag an earth onto the case from the framework. I agree it may not be necessary, the drivers do have a lot of safety features built in, but it can't hurt.

Worst case scenario would be a little noise put onto the DC from a noisy earth, but that shouldn't adversely affect the cobs.

G

Gherb

Hey Folks,

Before I go sending my hard earned cash to China I want to verify that the Kingbrite that I have been in contact with is legit.

Has anyone dealt with Vicky Song before? I see lots of references to Jerry. They gave me a quote and sent me an invoice. I am ready to order.

Thanks in advance for any info confirming or denying the validity of this purchase.

Gherb

sixstring

sixstring

Hey Folks,

Before I go sending my hard earned cash to China I want to verify that the Kingbrite that I have been in contact with is legit.

Has anyone dealt with Vicky Song before? I see lots of references to Jerry. They gave me a quote and sent me an invoice. I am ready to order.

Thanks in advance for any info confirming or denying the validity of this purchase.

Gherb
yeah she works with him(jerry). before you do it you should contact @REALSTYLES here if you are in the usa he might be able to help as he and jerry do alot of biz together:happy:

C

crocodile og

Hey Folks,

Gherb

Yeah she's great. Very efficient and knowledgeable.

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

Hey Folks,

Gherb
what did you order?

G

Gherb

what did you order?

Much to my wife's dismay, I will be doing a bank transfer today after work. I went with enough cobs and pin heatsinks to run my two 4' by 4' tents separately. One tent will be getting 16 cobs powered by 1050ma. The other 4' by 4' tent will be getting 12 cobs powered by 1400ma. I also have a small clone tent that will be getting 2 cobs.

So yeah 30 cobs, 30 heatsinks, several drivers, and all the appropriate holders and adapters.

Should be a pretty interesting year.

Any final advice before I finalize payment today would be greatly appreciated.

Gherb

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Much to my wife's dismay, I will be doing a bank transfer today after work. I went with enough cobs and pin heatsinks to run my two 4' by 4' tents separately. One tent will be getting 16 cobs powered by 1050ma. The other 4' by 4' tent will be getting 12 cobs powered by 1400ma. I also have a small clone tent that will be getting 2 cobs.

So yeah 30 cobs, 30 heatsinks, several drivers, and all the appropriate holders and adapters.

Should be a pretty interesting year.

Any final advice before I finalize payment today would be greatly appreciated.

Gherb

I feel your pain, I'll be ordering the parts for an 18 COB setup over the next month. My wife is not overly excited (to say the least) about this hobby and the up-front expense...

Latest posts

Top Bottom